Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What happened to Luke Bowanko?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When Wis was named starting centre at the start of last season the feeling was that he was neck-and-neck with Luke Bowanko and that he only got the nod because of his greater experience and familiarity with Olsen.

Now, we are talking about moving Cann out of position, or bringing in someone new, but Bowanko seems to have been consigned to the role of backup.

What happened? Did he fail to make the improvements expected of him? Did he underperform in training? Was he simply not as good as we thought?
He lacks in pass pro
People like to forget about him. He's good in run blocking, decent in pass protection.

Quote:When Wis was named starting centre at the start of last season the feeling was that he was neck-and-neck with Luke Bowanko and that he only got the nod because of his greater experience and familiarity with Olsen.

Now, we are talking about moving Cann out of position, or bringing in someone new, but Bowanko seems to have been consigned to the role of backup.

What happened? Did he fail to make the improvements expected of him? Did he underperform in training? Was he simply not as good as we thought?
I've been wondering the same thing...They talked very good about Bowanko for a long time, then they just quit talking about him
Same with Tyler Shatley.  Supposedly he's this awesome mauler but we never see it. 

He's not very good.

Agreed.  If he or Shatley were any good, we would not be constantly looking for outside guys to bring in to help the o-line.

SIXTH round pick, 24 years old, still working.

Good enough to be around this long, and good for both him and the team if he continues to grow and earn his keep.

This guy reminds me of Ebon Britten.  People loved his potential and he had a decent second year then washed up. 

Quote:He lacks in pass pro

He lacks in run push and power in general...
Quote:This guy reminds me of Ebon Britten.  People loved his potential and he had a decent second year then washed up. 

Why?  Britton was a second rounder.  Sixth rounders don't hang around long, and certainly aren't usually penciled in as starters.  If they make the team.
Quote:When Wis was named starting centre at the start of last season the feeling was that he was neck-and-neck with Luke Bowanko and that he only got the nod because of his greater experience and familiarity with Olsen.

I don't think the coaches or staff have forgotten about Bowanko. When Caldwell mentioned Cann or Linder moving inside he also mentioned Bowanko with the talk being about how if nothing else, they'll be able to find a starting Center among the three of them. The most shocking part of all this was the lack of any mention of Wiz returning. The Jaguars still might bring him back as there doesn't appear to be any other free agent Centers, but it does seem like Caldwell would like to upgrade the spot if possible. We may also see a Center in the draft brought in to compete with Cann, Linder and Bowanko for the role.

I thought they were moving him to tackle.
Quote:I thought they were moving him to tackle.

I think they just wanted him to be an option at OT in case of emergency. He's a tad tall for a C with good size for an OT.

Quote:Agreed.  If he or Shatley were any good, we would not be constantly looking for outside guys to bring in to help the o-line.
There were plenty of cases where good players were let go just because coaches failed to evaluate talents or they just simply didn't fit with the coaches' system.
Quote:There were plenty of cases where good players were let go just because coaches failed to evaluate talents or they just simply didn't fit with the coaches' system.
Yeah, but there are 100 times more cases where the player just didn't turn out to be very good.
Quote:Yeah, but there are 100 times more cases where the player just didn't turn out to be very good.

Name 100 interior linemen (by name, please) who played for the Jaguars, left us, and didn't turn out like Dan Connolly.
Bow was drafted to play center in a zone blocking scheme which has since been practically abandoned by a new coordinator. They are hoping to make him a back-up tackle. Remains to be seen if it will work.

Best Case - Joeckel tweaks a hammy and Bowanko comes in and plays lights out at LT. 

Worst case - We have our new Austin Pasztor that can also play center and doesn't walk around saying "Hodor." In other words... good depth. 

Quote:He's not very good.

This
Quote:Bow was drafted to play center in a zone blocking scheme which has since been practically abandoned by a new coordinator. They are hoping to make him a back-up tackle. Remains to be seen if it will work.

Best Case - Joeckel tweaks a hammy and Bowanko comes in and plays lights out at LT.

Worst case - We have our new Austin Pasztor that can also play center and doesn't walk around saying "Hodor." In other words... good depth.

You neglected to mention his all-star comedic Twitter account. Bow is hilarious and definitely the Jag I'd most like to hang out with.
Pages: 1 2