Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A good analysis on Bortles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This comes from a guy who is unbiased and clearly put in time to analyze Bortles' game in the situation he was in. It's a good read even though most of us know this already.

http://www.todayspigskin.com/afc-today/j...y-jaguars/

When Michael Jordan stuck that tongue out, great things used to happen.
i didn't read. Wouldn't read.  Hopefully he starts playing ball to win, otherwise we have no franchise QB

Read it.

Half the article is "analytics" like QBR.

The other half is a very basic description of how he plays.

I wonder how many games he watched.
The article didn't address how he may have been the best deep-threat QB in the league last season. That must account for more than the article gives him credit.

The article lost me at PFF and QBR. I stopped reading because I knew nothing of any kind of quality was going to come out of it.
Uh, how does the author know this?

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"...When Bortles speaks (whether it be in the huddle, on the sideline or at the line), he has his teammates’ full attention at all times. In three separate games last year, with his team down big and knowing they were likely going to take a loss, Bortles wasn’t discouraged on the bench with a ball cap on, he was up and encouraging both the offense and defense. None of the players looked off into the distance or stared at the field while he was doing so, they were enthralled by their leader and listening to every word.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">His leadership feels and appears natural. His belief in himself is real. Indeed, Bortles is a quintessential leader of men
..."

Quote:Uh, how does the author know this?

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">"...When Bortles speaks (whether it be in the huddle, on the sideline or at the line), he has his teammates’ full attention at all times. In three separate games last year, with his team down big and knowing they were likely going to take a loss, Bortles wasn’t discouraged on the bench with a ball cap on, he was up and encouraging both the offense and defense. None of the players looked off into the distance or stared at the field while he was doing so, they were enthralled by their leader and listening to every word.

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">His leadership feels and appears natural. His belief in himself is real. Indeed, Bortles is a quintessential leader of men..."

This article was secretly written by Zane Beadles.
Quote:This article was secretly written by Zane Beadles.

And really, how can you trust anyone that doesn't site words like SPARQ and spider chart?
Quote:i didn't read. Wouldn't read.  Hopefully he starts playing ball to win, otherwise we have no franchise QB

Brilliant

[Image: Jim-Carrey-in-Dumb-and-Du-011.jpg]
Quote:And really, how can you trust anyone that doesn't site words like SPARQ and spider chart?

Ummm.... site?

Maybe if you knew the true power of the SPARQ enabled Spider Death Shart you would be capable of being non stoopid.
Quote:Ummm.... <a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.google.com/search?q=site+definition&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8'>site</a>?

Maybe if you knew the true power of the SPARQ enabled Spider Death Shart you would be capable of being non stoopid.

Is there a silent p?

[Image: 2a79006.png]

Here is my article on Bortles:

Quote:i didn't read. Wouldn't read.  Hopefully he starts playing ball to win, otherwise we have no franchise QB
Man, you can be so blind sided with your opinions and with your logic derek carr and tannehill isn't a franchise qb as well. Don't you worry about bortles performance as a qb because atlest he help us be in the position to win games and how about you give that same pep talk to the defense and tell them to stop playing to lose us games and maybe we will have a winning record. 
Leopold, I am glad I affect you. Is it fair to just simply go by results now, after 20 years of dissecting and analysis?
Quote:Leopold, I am glad I affect you. Is it fair to just simply go by results now, after 20 years of dissecting and analysis?

Not completely, no.  Bortles did contribute to some of the losses due to int's at bad times.  But he was hardly the only reason for the losses, nor was he the most responsible for the losses.  That falls square on the defense and running game.

So to answer your question, analysis is still going to be important regardless of the win/loss column.  Results are what we all want, but hey, it's the offseason and we don't have anything to do except analyze.  So if you're not going to read what the thread was about, or contribute to the conversation in any meaningful way, then you're just going to remain in troll status.  

Troll on, troll.
I read the article. He comes across more as a fan than an analyst. 

IMO, it's hard to make projections based off his 2015 season. Bottom line. you lost a lot of games. Weren't in most of them. Doesn't matter who's fault it is, remember all I'm saying is that it's difficult to analyze in this situation. I wasn't a fan of Bortles coming out of UCF. & I thought it was ridiculous that anyone would spend the #3 overall to get him. 

But... I've been more impressed with him than not since he started in the NFL. He's taking his lumps like a champ. While I don't read too much into the 4000 yard 35 TD season. There's nothing in his performance to make me believe you got it wrong. He's developing & it looks like the arrow is pointing up. 

I'll be impressed if the Jags finish with a winning season in 2016 & if he's still putting up those kinds of numbers, then you'll know. Even if his numbers drop a bit, a winning season will say more about him than gaudy stats. 

Believe it or not, I'm rooting for you. Does us no good to spar against Emmanuel Lewis twice a year if we expect to win a championship. 

The Oline was again poor, with very little run game.  He had a new OC in only two years.  He had yet again young WRs whom dropped many passes in the first few weeks, excuses aside....

He turned the ball over way too much in two years in INTs and fumbles (1st in sacks, fumbles & INTs) that doesnt usually result in wins.

Yet...

He also threw a lot of TDs 35, a lot of yards for big gains, and kept the team in games with his feet & arm!

He should get even better this season!

I think a rob is a big reason for that huge jump in stats. The number of times he came up big with a jump ball or awesome catch that bailed us out and kept a drive moving was insane.

That being said Thomas and bortles could not connect midway through the year. An off-season together will do bortles a load of good. I reckon his yards and tds will drop a bit but his qb rating will go up next year
Quote:I think a rob is a big reason for that huge jump in stats. The number of times he came up big with a jump ball or awesome catch that bailed us out and kept a drive moving was insane.

That being said Thomas and bortles could not connect midway through the year. An off-season together will do bortles a load of good. I reckon his yards and tds will drop a bit but his qb rating will go up next year

In all due respect my good friend I think it's insulting for Allen Robinson to take credit for all of Bortles success especially when Hurns went over a thousand yards is well. I can make the argument it was the other way around because someone got to have the courage to throw those 50 50/50 balls and be a recipient of balls caught when Bortles scramble behind the backfield to get those same receivers extra time to get open on a given play. I guaranteed you this if Chad Henne was the Quarterback neither Allen Robinson or Hurns looks as promising as they do now.

Pages: 1 2