Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Have we forgotten about our needs at O-Line?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

I wouldn't say that our O-line was "terrible" last year, but we can certainly improve in areas like pass protection and run-blocking. If this offense is going to take it to the next level, then it needs to have an O-line that is more consistent. We have a good core with Cann, Wiz, and Parnell, but Beadles and Joeckel are the weakest links and provide the biggest areas for improvement IMO. A guy like Von Miller would tear Joeckel to shreds. Should we invest in FA and try to get a better RT/LG? or do we trust Marrone enough that he will get these guys to improve? or do we promote younger guys like Shatley and Bowanko?

Still a few question marks that need to be answered before the start of next season.

It's been hashed out quite a bit in other threads, but upgrades will be attempted.

I think Joeckel gets this year to do or die and they attempt to upgrade the interior.

Cann and Linder will be there - but one of them may play center. So they need a better center or a quality guard.

There are a few in FA to be had and there will be a few more sitting there in the second and third rounds.

I don't share the faith in Wisniewski many of you do. He was 'solid with moments of below average' in my view. He'd be better between Linder and Cann with Beadles gone or restructured as depth, but we've heard nothing about re-signing him for a reason. He's probably gone as well IMO.

Even when those two (beadles/wiz)did hold up in pass pro - there was rarely a clean pocket, and the run blocking was pretty horrible.

LG and C will have a new look in 2016.
Parnell needs to cut out the one or two major mental mistakes a game but with Linder back he should be fine for another season.
No they haven't, Jags must upgrade LT. 

Wisniewski is good in the pregame Prowl. I slapped hands with him once and it hurt until halftime.

I think we may sign someone in FA and possibly draft a C, but who knows :-p

Linder will help smooth things out.
Getting Linder back and parting ways with Beadles will be huge. Joeckel wasn't as bad as people here wanted him to be last year, but when he was on TV looking bad, he looked bad. He'll get one more year, and the Jags might not even grab a mid-round LT to develop behind him because the defense is in such bad shape.

Wiz is probably gone. He wasn't awful, but he had a series of high-profile screw ups of the sort that high-priced veteran centers shouldn't be making. He didn't earn the long term starting job or high dollar contract he came here for, so he's most likely off to the next city on another prove-it deal.

Cann looks like he could take over for Beadles permanently, and if he can play center, that's a plus. Bowanko's still out there, too. I know plenty here like to throw Alex Mack's name around, but he was injured and looked past his prime last year. I think the Jaguars would sooner spring for a Kelechi Osmele and move Cann to center than sign a washed-up Mack who won't be much better than Wiz.

Linder should return to form, and if Parnell can cut out the dumb mistake he makes in seemingly every game, we'll be set at RT. Beadles is the weakest link and Wiz doesn't fit going forward. Aside from replacing those two, I don't see a ton of change coming to the OL.

We still don't have that franchise LT, which is the second most important position on Offense besides QB. Joeckel ain't it. Dude had 3 years and he is what he is. He was borderline average last season, which isn't good for a 2nd overall pick. I don't think we get that franchise LT in this draft, because this draft is all about defense. 

Who has said they've forgotten the offensive line?
Offensive line?
Quote:Who has said they've forgotten the offensive line?
I was wondering the same thing.

The bibbers never let us forget things like that. They think every player on the O-line sucks.
Quote:Who has said they've forgotten the offensive line?
OP talked to Caldwell about it over lunch.
The college game is murdering the LT position in the NFL. The days of having that franchise guy are over. Looking for him is nothing but a snipe hunt. 20 years ago Tunsil would have been a 3rd round pick. Today, he's the top tackle on the board. Joekel isn't going anywhere. He is serviceable in today's game. We do need better depth and I'd be surprised if the front office doesn't address that.
Quote:The college game is murdering the LT position in the NFL. The days of having that franchise guy are over. Looking for him is nothing but a snipe hunt. 20 years ago Tunsil would have been a 3rd round pick. Today, he's the top tackle on the board. Joekel isn't going anywhere. He is serviceable in today's game. We do need better depth and I'd be surprised if the front office doesn't address that.

Very true.  The tail is now wagging the dog, unfortunately.

Fundamentals sour at key positions (OL, TE as just a couple examples) as college coaches line up the best athletes at skill positions and let them play basketball on turf.

That's why I applaud coaches like Saban for staying closer to traditional football.  Line up, and smash the other team in the mouth in the trenches.  Easier said than done, but that's the luxury coaches like Saban have, as they have been able to pull in the best talent to implement whatever they desire.

Quote:I was wondering the same thing.

The bibbers never let us forget things like that. They think every player on the O-line sucks.

No but Joeckel certainly does and needs to be upgraded.
How can we stick with Joeckel next season. Why doesn't this team hold him accountable since thats Bradley's favorite word.
Quote:How can we stick with Joeckel next season. Why doesn't this team hold him accountable since thats Bradley's favorite word.

Cause the "next man up" might be as bad or worse, maybe?

Only way he's replaced next season:  Draft Tunsil, reach for the next LT in line, or sign a FA.

How do you suggest we do it?

If a FA, name the name.

GO

Donald Penn

Quote:I was wondering the same thing.

Way to add nothing to the discussion at all. Also, way to misrepresent the "bibbers" in this thread.
Pages: 1 2 3