Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Jags could have 100 million dollars in cap space by the start of Free Agency
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Jags carried over $32,000,000 from last years salary.  Combined with releases of Clemons, Gerhart, Branch, and the other dead weight on the team.  The Jags could spend over $50 million in Free agency and still have plenty of room to extend their core players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...d-by-nflpa

Quote:The Jags carried over $32,000,000 from last years salary.  Combined with releases of Clemons, Gerhart, Branch, and the other dead weight on the team.  The Jags could spend over $50 million in Free agency and still have plenty of room to extend their core players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...d-by-nflpa
Do you think that this situation is part of Caldwell's long term plan in regards to free agency? if so, it's genius.
It's not genius because the cap is so large that almost everyone worth a darn will get resigned by their current teams
Quote:Do you think that this situation is part of Caldwell's long term plan in regards to free agency? if so, it's genius.

I personally feel this his was his plan all along. First year cut all the bad contract, year 2 and 3 focus on building the offense through the draft for them to grow together while finding random players like Telvin, House, Miller and Fowler. Then year 4 and 5 sign free agents and whoever you drafted thats worthy of contracts. Then moving forward supplement the talent through the draft only with minimal big name acquisitions when they present themselves.

We know he is a guy who looks forward. Drafted Blake because he didnt like the next two qb drafts, drafted Fowler because he didnt like the next years pass rushers. Although he cant say it but im sure he had an idea a few guys would sneak into free agency. Who ever this years top guy is, we possibly will be in the position to make them the top paid guy.

Then structure the contracts where it will free up all that momey again in a year or two. It was a genius plan to me.
all this money and Toby Gerhart is on the roster

[Image: funny-michael-scott-toby-office.jpg]

This isn't an advantage for us, not really. The only real benefit is that we will have cap space to resign whoever we want.

The cap number is so much larger that almost everyone has enough money to resign their guys.
Quote:This isn't an advantage for us, not really. The only real benefit is that we will have cap space to resign whoever we want.

The cap number is so much larger that almost everyone has enough money to resign their guys.

For the most part, but dont forget occaionally a Charles Woodson slips into free agency. I know what that situation was but the point remains a guy of that caliber ends up there. Berry, Miller, Norman, Wilkerson. These to me are the elite players, the types that change a defense completely. If even one of them happens to make it we will be in prime position to make them the higest paid player either at the position or defensively. That is a major advantage to have.

Not to mention be able to sign possibly two of them or a few lesser guys and not be in cap hell after the fact.
I'm not getting my hopes up.

Don't think we will be getting guys of that caliber to come here.

We might grossly overlay for a guy like Malik Jackson and give him 15m/year but I don't think he makes our defense significantly better.

Having extra cap space is an advantage when you are the only team that has the ability to offer a certain contract. Many teams are able to offer ridiculous so our advantage is very slim, if there is an advantage at all.
Where on earth are you getting $100 million from? We aren't saving an additional $25 million unless we cut a bunch of starters which we won't.

BTW Branch is a FA. He isn't counting towards the cap.

I expect dave to spend quite a bit of that
Quote:all this money and Toby Gerhart is on the roster

[Image: funny-michael-scott-toby-office.jpg]

That is harsh.  He is trying his hardest, and I agree I wouldn't have kept him on the roster but he's not a bad guy.
Couple things; Caldwell said earlier today that expects Gerhart to stick around in 2016 and Andre Branch is an unrestricted free agent.

Quote:Do you think that this situation is part of Caldwell's long term plan in regards to free agency? if so, it's genius.

I mean, the guy used three consecutive top 3 picks in the draft on a LT, a QB, and a pass rusher. It stands to reason that he was expecting to (hopefully ) be in a position to where he was going to have to pay them in the future, and those happen to be the most expensive positions in all of football. I won't say it's genius, but there's no doubt Caldwell has been saving up some cash to ensure these young guys don't go anywhere anytime soon.

It's unfortunate that 2/3rds of those top 3 picks have not worked according to plan so far, but with another top 5 pick and a few marquee free agents being signed or re-signed over the next offseason or two, 100 million isn't going to last long.
Will we use up that money on guys like Hurns, Telvin, Anger?
Quote:Will we use up that money on guys like Hurns, Telvin, Anger?

Hurns - yes

Telvin - has to wait another year

Anger - most likely not coming back
Quote:Where on earth are you getting $100 million from? We aren't saving an additional $25 million unless we cut a bunch of starters which we won't.

BTW Branch is a FA. He isn't counting towards the cap.

I'm trying to see if I can possibly project a scenario that puts them $100 mil under. I've reached $90 mil in the past without really trying.

For starters the cap would have be around its highest projections when it's finally announced.

Spotrac and OverTheCap are both predicting a cap of $155 mil, and a league arbitration ruling is about to raise the cap by another $1.5 mil. With this in mind it's rather reasonable to think the cap might reach $157 mil, so I'll start using this estimate for the overall cap. According to OverTheCap, when you add on the Jaguars $32.8 mil carryover amount, the Jaguars are $79.8 mil under a $155 mil cap, so with a $157 mil cap the Jaguars would be $81.8 mil under before any cuts are made.

I'll list several players with their savings, but keep in mind that for each player cut, a player costing $525,000 will take his place among the 51-most expensive players. Waived players followed by the resulting savings would be...

Zane Beedles - $5.5 mil

Cris Clemons - $4 mil

Toby Gerhart - $3.5 mil  <--I'm thinking he might be waived and brought back for cheap

Sergio Brown - $2.25 mil

Tyson Alualu - $1.75 mil

Dwayne Gratz - $1.65 mil

Josh Evans - $1.65 mil

TOTAL --------- $20.3 mil

This savings is reduced to $18.7 mil after accounting for 7 new players among the top 51.

$81.8 mil plus $18.7 mil is $100.5 mil under the cap. 

Quote:I mean, the guy used three consecutive top 3 picks in the draft on a LT, a QB, and a pass rusher. It stands to reason that he was expecting to (hopefully ) be in a position to where he was going to have to pay them in the future, and those happen to be the most expensive positions in all of football. I won't say it's genius, but there's no doubt Caldwell has been saving up some cash to ensure these young guys don't go anywhere anytime soon.

It's unfortunate that 2/3rds of those top 3 picks have not worked according to plan so far, but with another top 5 pick and a few marquee free agents being signed or re-signed over the next offseason or two, 100 million isn't going to last long.
Hopefully we can sign ARob, Hurns, Bortles, and Telvin to long term deals by the end of next season.
Quote:Hurns - yes

Telvin - has to wait another year

Anger - most likely not coming back

According to 1010, Telvin is getting paid this offseason.
Quote:According to 1010, Telvin is getting paid this offseason.

No.  He isn't. He's not eligible until 2017.  How is this rule still being misunderstood??

Players under their first contract cannot re-do contracts until AFTER their third season. (unless they were undrafted)

This rule has been in place since the new CBA took effect in 2011.

Quote:I'm trying to see if I can possibly project a scenario that puts them $100 mil under. I've reached $90 mil in the past without really trying.

For starters the cap would have be around its highest projections when it's finally announced.

Spotrac and OverTheCap are both predicting a cap of $155 mil, and a league arbitration ruling is about to raise the cap by another $1.5 mil. With this in mind it's rather reasonable to think the cap might reach $157 mil, so I'll start using this estimate for the overall cap. According to OverTheCap, when you add on the Jaguars $32.8 mil carryover amount, the Jaguars are $79.8 mil under a $155 mil cap, so with a $157 mil cap the Jaguars would be $81.8 mil under before any cuts are made.

I'll list several players with their savings, but keep in mind that for each player cut, a player costing $525,000 will take his place among the 51-most expensive players. Waived players followed by the resulting savings would be...

Zane Beedles - $5.5 mil

Cris Clemons - $4 mil

Toby Gerhart - $3.5 mil  <--I'm thinking he might be waived and brought back for cheap

Sergio Brown - $2.25 mil

Tyson Alualu - $1.75 mil

Dwayne Gratz - $1.65 mil

Josh Evans - $1.65 mil

TOTAL --------- $20.3 mil

This savings is reduced to $18.7 mil after accounting for 7 new players among the top 51.

$81.8 mil plus $18.7 mil is $100.5 mil under the cap. 
They aren't cutting all of those guys and they most definitely wouldn't be replacing them with minimum salary players.
Pages: 1 2