Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Are we ok at DT heading into 2016?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I haven't heard much talk of upgrading this position. Mainly because we are hoping Marks returns to his form when he was almost in the Pro Bowl.

Miller has been average but he does his job and has been pretty solid.

We haven't got much out of Bennett but I would say he is coming along as expected.

Maybe we Caldwell will surprise us with a DT pick earlier in the draft than expected, maybe from 2nd to the 3rd rounds??

I wouldn't mind it but I know it's not a flashy pick. I don't know what is out there in FA as far as DTs go, but I'm hoping we are ok at this position.

Would like to get yalls thoughts.
No we're not. And I expect us to address it both in the draft and FA.

Who are some FA that we could potentially target?

And would you be ok with spending a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a defensive tackle?
There are some really good dts in the draft at 3 and 1 tech and with the age and injury concerns of both combined with a weak FA class at dt you can count on it
Vernon Butler.

Quote:Who are some FA that we could potentially target?

And would you be ok with spending a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a defensive tackle?
Malik Jackson

And I think our second round pick will be a DT.
I think the depth of the DT class this year increases the odds that our 2nd or 3rd round pick will be a DT. 

The team may only look to keep four DTs with their emphasis finding outside pass rushers...five tops. They already have Marks, Miller and Jones set on the roster, and most likely Bennett continues to develop. This leaves room for maybe one more DT. The only other DT on the roster is Richard Ash who has been a jar on their shelf for quite some time, but I don't see him sticking around. 

Caldwell may surprise us with a DT, if so I'm ok with it.

Anything on defense is a must.
Quote:The team may only look to keep four DTs with their emphasis finding outside pass rushers...five tops. They already have Marks, Miller and Jones set on the roster, and most likely Bennett continues to develop. This leaves room for maybe one more DT. The only other DT on the roster is Richard Ash who has been a jar on their shelf for quite some time, but I don't see him sticking around. 
Agreed.  However, Ash was an undrafted scrub last year signed from the practice squad due to injuries, not a jar on the shelf for some time.  I also doubt he makes it this year on the initial 53, but likely relegated back to the practice squad.       
Quote:I think the depth of the DT class this year increases the odds that our 2nd or 3rd round pick will be a DT.

Or both. Or trade back into the 2nd for another one like we did with Lee and ARob
I think we're "OK", but I wouldn't mind adding some good talent to the spot.

Jones can be upgraded, but he's turning into a decent NT in his own right. I'm willing to give Bennett another season or three to develop; remember even Stroud was ineffective his first season.

Odrick being on the roster adds some flexibility to the situation, but I'd rather him stay at Strongside End.
Saw a video (link in another thread somewhere) of Jason Cole saying league insiders have linked the Jags to Malik Jackson. Don't know if there is any truth to that story or if it is simply connecting dots between FAs and teams with money.
Saw a video (link in another thread somewhere) of Jason Cole saying league insiders have linked the Jags to Malik Jackson. Don't know if there is any truth to that story or if it is simply connecting dots between FAs and teams with money.
Oh, and the OP stated Miller was average last year. I am not an expert on DT play, but wasnt the general sentiment amongst those in the league that Miller was playing at a near Pro Bowl level last year?
Quote:Oh, and the OP stated Miller was average last year. I am not an expert on DT play, but wasnt the general sentiment amongst those in the league that Miller was playing at a near Pro Bowl level last year?

Yes. Miller played well and sometimes very well last year.  Having young guys to rotate with both he and Marks is still very important, however. 

They both have no small amount of wear and tear, and the drop-off in effectiveness when they are out is currently pretty severe. 

I think there may be a nice upgrade in the 2nd or 3rd round for that rotation - a future starter who will learn behind Marks and Miller in the short term. 
As of right now, as long as Marks comes back healthy, I think we are ok at DT. Eventually, the team needs to add a stud DT to play alongside and eventually, take over for, Marks.

So many needs defensively that I'm not sure DT will be addressed like it should. Miller is a good NT, and I think the depth behind them would be good enough, if pick doesn't meet value in the draft or free agency.
Miller had a borderline elite season. Average is insulting.

The drop off from marks is sooo bad. i would def be ok with a DT in the 2nd IF DE and FS are no longer pressing needs.
De rd1

Dt/ safety rd2

Safety/dt/ cb rd3
Pages: 1 2 3 4