Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Center position
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Whats the future looking like? Anyone else think they stick with Wiz?

Depends on what happens with Mack in a few months in Cleveland. Caldwell already pursued him once. If no strings or stipulations are in his way this time he could make a move for him yet again. Wiz wasn't terrible. It was just the bad snaps in consecutive weeks that made us hate him so much. Bowanko could push him a bit if he's healthy. But again, if Mack is available. Caldwell should make that his biggest offensive priority in free agency at the minimum.

Quote:Depends on what happens with Mack in a few months in Cleveland. Caldwell already pursued him once. If no strings or stipulations are in his way this time he could make a move for him yet again. Wiz wasn't terrible. It was just the bad snaps in consecutive weeks that made us hate him so much. Bowanko could push him a bit if he's healthy. But again, if Mack is available. Caldwell should make that his biggest offensive priority in free agency at the minimum.

Wiz wasn't terrible? C'mon, man. You have to know he is not good enough at blocking either. We need someone who will create big holes for T.J. Yeldon on up-the-middle runs, not just a better snapper. With A.J. Cann and Brandon Linder - both upgrades at guard - we need to focus on the center position to improve run blocking.
Fingers crossed to draft Tretola in the 3rd round. Moving Cann to center. You now have a good youthful interior O-Line

Quote:Fingers crossed to draft Tretola in the 3rd round. Moving Cann to center. You now have a good youthful interior O-Line

Youthful interior O-lines traditionally get QB's killed. We have the cap space. I'm all for Cann of Bowanko being the future at C, but I say they spend what is necessary to shore up center for 2-3 years and let the kids learn from one of the best. If they decide that's Mack, so be it.
Quote:Youthful interior O-lines traditionally get QB's killed. We have the cap space. I'm all for Cann of Bowanko being the future at C, but I say they spend what is necessary to shore up center for 2-3 years and let the kids learn from one of the best. If they decide that's Mack, so be it.
True.

But I guessed you forgot to reference the "good" part.
Everyone seems to think we are grabbing Mack. Would be a nice upgrade to our OL.

Looks like there's a lot of good center talent in the draft. I see 4 or 5 potential starters.
How has Mack been the last couple of years?

I know he was a pro bowl center 2 years ago and probably a top 3 center overall - I'm just curious how his performance has been lately.
Quote:Looks like there's a lot of good center talent in the draft. I see 4 or 5 potential starters.

Lol
Quote:Everyone seems to think we are grabbing Mack. Would be a nice upgrade to our OL.

People just think that because we almost pried him from the Browns last year. They ignored the fact that Mack exercised the "no trade" clause in his contract, which makes me think he wanted to stay in Cleveland.
Quote:Lol

Yes?
PFF graded Wiz with a 79.2 score (I think that made him about the 12th best C) and labeled him as the 'stud' of our 19th ranked oline this year. Alex Mack isn't an upgrade on him unless you are banking on a large improvement another year off the ACL injury, in which case you could just ask why not expect more improvement from Wiz another year removed from his shoulder injury and just now reaching the prime of his career instead of being past 30 and on the down slope like Mack.

Oh yeah forgot to mention the gigantic contract it will take to get Mack to opt out of his already very large contract. I can't think of any reason why we would want to bring in Mack to replace Wiz except for name recognition alone. 

Quote:PFF graded Wiz with a 79.2 score (I think that made him about the 12th best C) and labeled him as the 'stud' of our 19th ranked oline this year. Alex Mack isn't an upgrade on him unless you are banking on a large improvement another year off the ACL injury, in which case you could just ask why not expect more improvement from Wiz another year removed from his shoulder injury and just now reaching the prime of his career instead of being past 30 and on the down slope like Mack.

Oh yeah forgot to mention the gigantic contract it will take to get Mack to opt out of his already very large contract. I can't think of any reason why we would want to bring in Mack to replace Wiz except for name recognition alone. 

What ACL injury are you talking about? Alex Mack broke his fibula in 2014.

Our offer sheet totaled $42 million. That includes the two voidable years. Do you call that a gigantic contract for a center?

Why not bring in a FA center for training camp competition? Maybe that will help Wiz.
Quote:PFF graded Wiz with a 79.2 score (I think that made him about the 12th best C) and labeled him as the 'stud' of our 19th ranked oline this year. Alex Mack isn't an upgrade on him unless you are banking on a large improvement another year off the ACL injury, in which case you could just ask why not expect more improvement from Wiz another year removed from his shoulder injury and just now reaching the prime of his career instead of being past 30 and on the down slope like Mack.

According to that same week 9 ranking you are referring to, Wiz and Beadles were our two best rated linemen.
I would actually want Bowanko to win the job.  I like the way he moves I just think he needs to hit the weight room more.  I'm not sure Mack is still what he was when we drooled over him.  I wouldn't mind a draft pick (3rd or later) to be spent there.  Not sure free agency has our answer.

Outside of Beadles ordeal I trust DC's eyes for interior linemen.

Wouldn't surprise me if we roll out     LG Linder C Cann RG Shatley 

Quote:According to that same week 9 ranking you are referring to, Wiz and Beadles were our two best rated linemen.
I am referring to their 2016 FA tracker in which his grade was actually a 72.5 (I was off a little on the exact number sorry) for the whole season, and he was still the "stud" of our 19th ranked oline in their season end oline rankings both linked below. Wiz is their #2 ranked C prospect and he is 6 yrs younger than the only guy rated above him. 

I maintain the premise of my point stands, that the only real reason you would bother replacing a competent just entering the prime of his career Wiz with an aging and far more expensive Mack (who is not any better currently), is name recognition alone. Wiz, drafting a C, or drafting/signing an OG and moving Cann to C are all better options. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...y-tracker/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...is-season/
I'm all for bringing Wiz back so long as he promises to stop with the errant snaps. Definitely a position we could upgrade
I'm all for bringing Wiz back so long as he promises to stop with the errant snaps. Definitely a position we could upgrade.
I think the line would probably be best leaving Wiz at C or having Bowanko beat him out. I'm against moving Cann to center even though it has been mentioned before. I think he and Linder are both going to be stud guards and are best served staying put. With two stud guards beside him, the center of the next couple seasons can be adequate until the future of the position is ready to step in or in Bowanko's case continues to get better.

Pages: 1 2 3