Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Do you think Todd Wash may prioritize Pass Rush over Free Safety for his Defense?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
We've heard the comments by Dave and Gus on how a free safety is hard to find and I get it but I still don't believe the position is more important than passrusher. We've seen examples of this all year. As great as the Legion of Boom with Earl Thomas, Sherman, and Chancellor are they still weren't as good as they had been in past primarily due to lack of pass rush. And look at Denver they have arguably one of the best pass rushing defenses in the league (also number 1 defense) but their back 4 are probably slightly above average.

Long story short I really hope the Jags really consider another pass rusher in the draft at #5. I'd hate to force a pick at the spot just because we have made FS the lynchpin of the defense. The defense should be flexible and versatile, and most importantly we have to get guys who can put a lot a pressure on the QB and give our DBs chances to make plays on the ball.

Watching this Pats Broncos game you see once again how important pass rushing is...Ware and Miller are called out just about every series.

Which brings up another thing...I'm starting to have doubts Jalen Ramsey is our pick at 5.
Im hoping we can address FS in FA with Weddle.  Weddle still has a good couple years left and will buy us a year or 2 to find the future at FS and also Sample could learn from Weddle for a year or 2 and we will know what we have from him.

Hargreaves and Jack is still a possibility if we dont draft Ramsey. 

If we cant get Oliver Vernon in FA and If Ten. goes Tunsil and Browns go QB I wonder what it would take to trade up with SD and draft Bosa?  A 3rd?  Might be worth it. 

Quote:We've heard the comments by Dave and Gus on how a free safety is hard to find and I get it but I still don't believe the position is more important than passrusher. We've seen examples of this all year. As great as the Legion of Boom with Earl Thomas, Sherman, and Chancellor are they still weren't as good as they had been in past primarily due to lack of pass rush. And look at Denver they have arguably one of the best pass rushing defenses in the league (also number 1 defense) but their back 4 are probably slightly above average.

Long story short I really hope the Jags really consider another pass rusher in the draft at #5. I'd hate to force a pick at the spot just because we have made FS the lynchpin of the defense. The defense should be flexible and versatile, and most importantly we have to get guys who can put a lot a pressure on the QB and give our DBs chances to make plays on the ball.

Watching this Pats Broncos game you see once again how important pass rushing is...Ware and Miller are called out just about every series.

Which brings up another thing...I'm starting to have doubts Jalen Ramsey is our pick at 5.
Why do you think that Ramsey won't be the pick at 5?
Quote:Why do you think that Ramsey won't be the pick at 5?
He might but you can make a case for about 2 or 3 other guys as well and we might be able to fix the FS spot in FA
We are not one pass rusher away and no need to trade up for picks.  We did that with harvey and how did that turn out?  Pass Rusher must be a priority in Free Agency.  Two rookie pass rushers does not equal one very good FA pass rusher.  Not even close.  Takes a lot of studying and game experience to get used to the Nfl.

And some with all the skills and ability in the world take a while if ever catch on.  Ya going from professional Go Cart racing to Nascar.  Not even close.  In essence your one of the top stars on your team and maybe the conference.  To every one you face was one of their college team top stars. 

Quote:Hargreaves and Jack is still a possibility if we dont draft Ramsey. 
VHIII isn't even the best CB. It's Mackensie Alexander out of Clemson. Even then there are still other good Corners that can be had in another round like Eli Apple out of Ohio State or Fuller from VT. 
I'm not sure, but it could be the most Jaguars thing ever and they take Buckner over Ramsey. Buckner is ok, but he isn't top 5 pick worthy. So if Bosa and Ramsey are gone I say we trade down or take Myles Jack.

They're 1aa and 1ab on our list of priorities. I'd be surprised if we don't see both addressed, possibly with a free agent signing and a first or second round pick at each position.

We could fix it short term in FA but long term (hopefully) in the draft.

I could see DC snagging a Johnson/Thurmond FS in FA just to hedge the bet if Ramsey ISNT there. Shore up the front seven with Vernon/Curry/Irvin.

I could even see us making a run at Benson Mayowa, even if he is an RFA.

Quote:He might but you can make a case for about 2 or 3 other guys as well and we might be able to fix the FS spot in FA
There isn't a pass rusher worth the #5 pick in my opinion. Maybe Bosa but I'm wary.
Still think the best case scenario for the Jags this offseason would be signing Olivier Vernon and drafting Joey Bosa. I would love for the Jags to have a pass rush like Denver. You can tell how much it disrupts the opponents gameplan.
Quote:There isn't a pass rusher worth the #5 pick in my opinion. Maybe Bosa but I'm wary.

DeForest Buckner is certainly worth a top 5 pick, and has a chance to be the best defensive player drafted this year.
We have so many needs on defense I think we need to take the best defensive player available at 5 whether that's Bosa, Ramsey or someone else.  Pass rush is our biggest need but it should be much better just with the return of Marks and Fowler alone.  Add a piece or two in FA/draft and it should be night and day better next year.

Both will be addressed - just a matter of what combination of FA / draft picks.

March will be here soon. Can't wait to see which positions they target in FA.
Well for now with 5th pick I think it's one of three guys. Joey Bosa, Jalen Ramsey or Myles Jack!
Quote:DeForest Buckner is certainly worth a top 5 pick, and has a chance to be the best defensive player drafted this year.

Pass rusher? Not seeing it my friend, Buckner will be a solid player but not worth a top 10 pick in my book.
Bosa is not worth trading up for. There's a good chance he's there when we pick and there's a good chance we pass.

Quote:Well for now with 5th pick I think it's one of three guys. Joey Bosa, Jalen Ramsey or Myles Jack!
Agreed! At least until the combine
Pages: 1 2 3 4