Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Do the Titans have ownership issues?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Titans president and CEO Steve Underwood said Roger Goodell thinks there is a problem with the team's ownership structure, according to this tweet:

Quote:<div>Jason Wolf‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@JasonWolf</span>
</div>
<p style="font-size:28px;color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">Underwood: The commissioner has mentioned there are issues with #Titans
ownership structure. We are working with NFL on that.
<p style="font-size:28px;color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="font-size:28px;color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">This is the first time I read any such report, but NFL.com posted it. Is something going on with Amy Adams Strunk's method of owning the franchise?

Not sure what issue the NFL has with the structure. Maybe it's because there isn't one person clearly identified as the majority owner like with most other franchises?

Here's an article I found.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/n...autologin=
That website shows the article for 10 seconds and then hides it. Ugh.

Article By: John Glennon, [email protected] 11:37 p.m. CST January 4 2016

The Titans continue to work with the NFL about its questions regarding the team's ownership, president and CEO Steve Underwood said Monday.

Founder and owner Bud Adams died in 2013, leaving the franchise to a handful of family members. In March, the group met with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to "ensure the team is under the proper ownership structure."

Susie Adams Smith and Amy Adams Strunk, daughters of Bud Adams, have 33 percent ownership each of the parent company which owns the Titans. The family of Adams' deceased son, Kenneth Adams III, also has one-third ownership — his grandsons, Kenneth IV (11 percent) and Barclay Cunningham Adams (11 percent), and their mother, Susan Lewis (11 percent).

The Tennessean reported at the time that the NFL's finance committee was not in agreement with the team's group ownership structure and asked it to make adjustments.

Underwood said that process is ongoing.

"Those are things we're working through with the league since I came back to work here," said Underwood, who came out of retirement and returned to work for the franchise in March. "We've made progress in trying to work through our issues with the league. I think we've made good progress. We expect to continue working with the league to help get there."

Over the weekend, a Pro Football Talk report said "there's a belief among key members of the organization that the team has hired a noted antitrust lawyer to defend the position of the franchise that the current structure complies with league rules."

"We have never discussed those things publicly," Underwood said Monday, "and we're not going to start this afternoon."

The reports of contention between the league and the Titans ownership group have led to speculation that a sale of the team might be in the works, but Underwood took the opportunity Monday to shoot those rumors down yet again.

"The team has never been for sale, and it's not for sale now," he said. "I would always be looking at who the writer of the story says is the source for those remarks, and when you see no source — you don't see anyone identified, nothing attributed to anyone — then you need to remember what I tell you now: The team is not for sale now and it never has been for sale."

The Titans fired general manager Ruston Webster on Monday and announced they would interview interim coach Mike Mularkey and others for the head coaching job vacated when Ken Whisenhunt was fired in November.

Might the perception of ownership issues impact the search for a coach and general manager?

"We've had over a dozen inquiries from highly qualified head coaches and general manager candidates since word got out this morning that Ruston had been dismissed," Underwood said. "So my answer to (that) question is no. In three hours, we've been kind of overrun with requests — 'Can we be on your interview list?' — both from individual candidates and from their agents and representatives."
Wait, am I reading that wrong?

Three people have 33% ownership, which would be 99%.  Then you have three more that have 11% each?  That's a bit more than 100%...

Quote:Wait, am I reading that wrong?

Three people have 33% ownership, which would be 99%.  Then you have three more that have 11% each?  That's a bit more than 100%...

You read that wrong. The three people who have an 11 percent share add up to the 33 percent owned by Kenneth Adams 3.
Quote:You read that wrong. The three people who have an 11 percent share add up to the 33 percent owned by Kenneth Adams 3.

Got it.

I feel like they should have worded that a bit different but thanks JW for the clarification.
Quote:Got it.

I feel like they should have worded that a bit different but thanks JW for the clarification.

I don't like how they worded it either. I had to read it twice.
Wow, the tacks are a mess
Quote:Wow, the tacks are a mess

Well, they do have the first pick in the NFL draft.

Luckily there's not a true can't miss #1 prospect (as if there ever really is one) and they won't be able to trade it away for a boatload of other picks or a King's ransom, although I figure they will probably try to see what they can get as far as trading it away goes.

A hot mess indeed.
Quote:Well, they do have the first pick in the NFL draft.

Luckily there's not a true can't miss #1 prospect (as if there ever really is one) and they won't be able to trade it away for a boatload of other picks or a king's ransom, although I figure they will probably try to see what they can get as far as trading it away goes.

A hot mess indeed.

Joey Bosa says hi.
Quote:Joey Bosa says hi.

I'm not sold on Joey Bosa being a difference maker myself.

I know what he did in college, but I have seen plenty of examples of that NOT translating to the NFL.

Player is a great college player, but just an average to above average NFL player, sometimes not even that. (Just look at Clowney)

I'm not even sure he will be drafted #1 overall, although I do see him going in the 1st round, probably early.

Will another team really trade up to the  #1 pick to take Joey Bosa, I don't see that happening.
Quote:Well, they do have the first pick in the NFL draft.

Luckily there's not a true can't miss #1 prospect (as if there ever really is one) and they won't be able to trade it away for a boatload of other picks or a King's ransom, although I figure they will probably try to see what they can get as far as trading it away goes.

A hot mess indeed.

Tunsil is the closest thing to a consensus #1 overall in this draft.  That's who most have consistently at or near the top of their boards.

Doubt any will move up, though.

That puts a premium on the QBs Goff and Wentz.  They could cause a team to trade as soon as the other goes.  Maybe someone will trade to be the first to choose from them.
Back to the topic, I totally agree with Anchorman. Being a mess is how teams get the top pick in the draft. Now it looks like it begins at the top with how money is split in the Adams family.

I think the real question should be is J-Dub on twitter now?
Quote:I think the real question should be is J-Dub on twitter now?

No I'm not. I got that tweet from the NFL's official website. I will never be on Twitter.
I wonder what the collective business acumen of the family ownership is? Hopefully it's next to none and the Titans wallow in the cellar of the division for years to come.

The firing of whisenhunt during the season and the retaining of mularkey seem to suggest they don't know what they are doing. Also, their team president mentioning that "over a dozen qualified candidates" have been expressing interest in filling coaching and GM vacancies seems unnecessary to me. Almost like it's an attempt at damage control. That's probably me just hoping my interpretation is true though.
Quote:I wonder what the collective business acumen of the family ownership is? Hopefully it's next to none and the Titans wallow in the cellar of the division for years to come.

The firing of Whisenhunt during the season and the retaining of Mularkey seem to suggest they don't know what they are doing. Also, their team president mentioning that "over a dozen qualified candidates" have been expressing interest in filling coaching and GM vacancies seems unnecessary to me. Almost like it's an attempt at damage control. That's probably me just hoping my interpretation is true though.

You know what makes no sense?

Mike Mularkey talked about having a "fresh start." To do that, step one obviously is firing Mularkey LOL. No Titans fans like Amy Strunk's decision to keep him on as the permanent head coach. The team's mess will not be cleaned up until after he is gone.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ard-titans

Quote:You know what makes no sense?

Mike Mularkey talked about having a "fresh start." To do that, step one obviously is firing Mularkey LOL. No Titans fans like Amy Strunk's decision to keep him on as the permanent head coach. The team's mess will not be cleaned up until after he is gone.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ard-titans

Do we really know that though?  I find it funny that there are fans all over Jacksonville giving Gus Bradley a pass after three horrible seasons and somehow Mularkey is a bad coach even though he had Blaine freaking Gabbert as his qb.  Lets not for the rest of the roster, but Blaine Gabbert.  What did you expect from him?

Now lets look at the Titans roster.  What do they have there that makes you think they should be a standout team?  A rookie qb that flashed at times this year and a decent defense.  That's it.....not many coaches in the NFL would have done anything with it. 

I'm not saying he's the next Belicheck, but to condemn the guy for what happened to him here is ridiculous.  He was put in a no win situation.
Quote: 

I'm not saying he's the next Belicheck, but to condemn the guy for what happened to him here is ridiculous.  He was put in a no win situation.

FTFY.
Pages: 1 2