Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This Seattle Defense the Jags want...is it sustainable?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With so many critical pieces needed such as a FS that can play single high in a cover 3, a LEO, OTTO, etc etc....I'm just wondering how sustainable this defense really is. It sure isn't looking all that great today. Cam is doing whatever he wants.
Seattle's defense sucks because they don't have Gus anymore..

Ha!!
Quote:With so many critical pieces needed such as a FS that can play single high in a cover 3, a LEO, OTTO, etc etc....I'm just wondering how sustainable this defense really is. It sure isn't looking all that great today. Cam is doing whatever he wants.

seems like it struggles against certain offenses.  If you can run effectively it opens the defense up, it also seems susceptible to move tight ends and any kind of player with speed to turn the corner in the flats (Tavon Austin).  Otherwise you just have to beat it 3-4 yards at a time like Brady did in the superbowl.  If your Oline is good enough holes open.
I think you can ask the same question about any D. Whether it's a 4-3 base or 3-4 or cover 2.
No defense would be able to stop Carolina today.

Quote:I think you can ask the same question about any D. Whether it's a 4-3 base or 3-4 or cover 2.

You can. Every defensive scheme is sustainable with good players and is even better with great coaching. Every scheme sucks with bad players and bad coaching.
Quote:You can. Every defensive scheme is sustainable with good players and is even better with great coaching. Every scheme sucks with bad players and bad coaching.

It depends on the personnel whether 4-3 is 3-4 is more successful. In Jacksonville, I don't think the 3-4 would work.
This is what this scheme looks like when it can't consistently get pressure with 4 rushers.  (Carolina game)

Not having a quality secondary in addition to that problem is what we saw from the Jags this year.  The scheme demands pressure from 4 up front AND top notch talent at both safety positions IMO.  This does make it somewhat less sustainable, but man it's a thing of beauty when its clicking on all eight. 

Quote:This is what this scheme looks like when it can't consistently get pressure with 4 rushers.  (Carolina game)

Not having a quality secondary in addition to that problem is what we saw from the Jags this year.  The scheme demands pressure from 4 up front AND top notch talent at both safety positions IMO.  This does make it somewhat less sustainable, but man it's a thing of beauty when its clicking on all eight. 

After the Super Bowl, I will look forward to the draft.
After dinner, I will drink too much whiskey and fall asleep on the couch. 

I think the real defense for us to model is Carolina, not Seattle.

Carolina's is better, even after substitutions.

Just say no to the Leo, Larry, Curly, Moe, and Otto.

If you actually have the players to run it, it's a solid D. The NFL will eventually figure it out, and probably has, but a good coach...lol...can account for that by making subtle changes.

I'd rather have a tailored D built for players we have than always trying to find players to fit.
Quote:If you actually have the players to run it, it's a solid D. The NFL will eventually figure it out, and probably has, but a good coach...lol...can account for that by making subtle changes.
They've already partially figured it out. Teams that ran at our DLine got stymied, but the smart teams that ran around the tackles had major success.

It's a scheme that doesn't work, and I'm sad that we're trying to stick with it.
The Seahawks led the NFL in the last 4 regular seasons in scoring Defense.   Whether it's their Defensive personnel and or coaching/ scheme,   their overall results have been terrific on that side of the ball.  

Quote:The Seahawks led the NFL in the last 4 regular seasons in scoring Defense. Whether it's their Defensive personnel and or coaching/ scheme, their overall results have been terrific on that side of the ball.

And fewest points against the last 4 seasons. They're historically good,maybe the best ever.
Quote:And fewest points against the last 4 seasons. They're historically good,maybe the best ever.

One clarification on my part.  By scoring Defense,  I meant the fewest points allowed.   

Arguably,  they are the best ever.

The last time prior to the current Seahawks an NFL team led the NFL in fewest points allowed was back in the 1950's when the Cleveland Browns accomplished this.
I'd love a firm breakdown of what Atlanta and Jacksonville are doing wrong vs. what Seattle is doing right. I think even Seattle would benefit from running just a basic 4-3.

If it's their safeties then both Atlanta and Jacksonville are out of luck. I doubt we'll ever land two safeties of that caliber

Quote:I'd love a firm breakdown of what Atlanta and Jacksonville are doing wrong vs. what Seattle is doing right. I think even Seattle would benefit from running just a basic 4-3.

If it's their safeties then both Atlanta and Jacksonville are out of luck. I doubt we'll ever land two safeties of that caliber

It's the players, man. We have no DEs capable of rushing the passer, our star DT was hurt, and one of our best players is really old and bad in coverage.

I think our corners will look much better once we can rush the passer. I see us focusing on DE, FS, and LB in the draft and free agency. I could see us grabbing Vernon, Gipson/Berry, Irvin, Williams in FA and drafting as much talent as we can on that side of the ball to succeed them.

I'm interested to see what happens.
Quote:It's the players, man. We have no DEs capable of rushing the passer, our star DT was hurt, and one of our best players is really old and bad in coverage.

I think our corners will look much better once we can rush the passer. I see us focusing on DE, FS, and LB in the draft and free agency. I could see us grabbing Vernon, Gipson/Berry, Irvin, Williams in FA and drafting as much talent as we can on that side of the ball to succeed them.

I'm interested to see what happens.

This. 

Getting Marks back - getting Fowler on the field with a good free agent LEO to rotate/pair up with him - and fielding an above average FS would change this defense a great deal.  

It's very possible (likely) we see these pieces in place by September.  Possibly a faster guy at OTTO/SAM as well.  
Pages: 1 2 3