Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags 1-14 in September Over The Past 4 Years
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Offset by Stadium Upgrades, Hotter Cheerleaders, and a revitalization of the Jacksonville Shipyards / Amphitheatre area.

I'd have to say it's been a good run !!!

September used to be a strength under Coughlin... Coughlin typically struggled to win in October.

Once upon a time we had the best opening day record.
Quote:Once upon a time we had the best opening day record.

Now you see what its like with a larger statistical sample. Aren't numbers great. Here is hoping that can turn around at some point again.
Quote:Now you see what its like with a larger statistical sample. Aren't numbers great. Here is hoping that can turn around at some point again.

Not sure why your saying this
Well.................. it could have been worse, maybe not much worse, but still worse.

Winning by the month is a very meaningless statistic to me.. you get statistical clusters or patterns out of pure coincidence most of the time so I think people tend to make stuff out of it that just isn't there. You win games when you win games 

I knew our records to start seasons was bad but my lord, I didn't realize we were quite THAT putrid

3 and 17 after this year  :teehee:

Pretty much the last 4 seasons the season was over before they even really started. How depressing. But I'm hopeful the Jags can change that. Starting with Houston!
Quote:Winning by the month is a very meaningless statistic to me.. you get statistical clusters or patterns out of pure coincidence most of the time so I think people tend to make stuff out of it that just isn't there. You win games when you win games

It's also about morale though, 22. In September, you want to come out of the gates ready, get a few Ws, set the tone for the season. Likewise, you want to play your best ball in December, particularly if you are a contender, to secure a berth and rev up for postseason.
Quote:It's also about morale though, 22. In September, you want to come out of the gates ready, get a few Ws, set the tone for the season. Likewise, you want to play your best ball in December, particularly if you are a contender, to secure a berth and rev up for postseason.

This is very true BritJag, unfortunately the Jaguars haven't been able to build a team to do that, or anything close to that in a long time. Will that change this year? There are many out there that would certainly like to believe that will change this year. It will really come down to if Bortles has gotten better over the off season and I mean a lot better, not just a little bit better and if the running game is good enough to take some of the pressure off Bortles so he doesn't have to try to do too much and the Jags end up having to throw the ball way more then they should, even on 3rd and short.
Quote:September used to be a strength under Coughlin... Coughlin typically struggled to win in October.
October is usually spent on the road because of the Florida-Georgia game taking up one of the weekends at the stadium.
Texans game is big chance to start out right. Hopefully catch them before their QB situation is straightened out.
(06-04-2017, 05:27 PM)newporttom Wrote: [ -> ]Texans game is big chance to start out right. Hopefully catch them before their QB situation is straightened out.

I agree, we'll know a lot about what to expect for the season from that game. They'll have all off​ season to figure out how to do some blocking and how to stop a backup or a rookie QB in his first game. If the Jaguars can't win that one is not a good sign.
(06-04-2017, 07:28 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2017, 05:27 PM)newporttom Wrote: [ -> ]Texans game is big chance to start out right. Hopefully catch them before their QB situation is straightened out.

I agree, we'll know a lot about what to expect for the season from that game. They'll have all off season to figure out how to do some blocking and how to stop a backup or a rookie QB in his first game. If the Jaguars can't win that one is not a good sign.

I agree with both of you, but I'd add the caveat that the Jags will be starting a re-configured O-Line that may not come out of the gate swinging, and they'll be facing a top notch pass rush on opening day. 

I wouldn't be shocked if the O-Line doesn't turn in a stellar performance that day, but goes on to improve down the stretch in October and beyond.
(06-04-2017, 08:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

I agree, we'll know a lot about what to expect for the season from that game. They'll have all off season to figure out how to do some blocking and how to stop a backup or a rookie QB in his first game. If the Jaguars can't win that one is not a good sign.

I agree with both of you, but I'd add the caveat that the Jags will be starting a re-configured O-Line that may not come out of the gate swinging, and they'll be facing a top notch pass rush on opening day. 

I wouldn't be shocked if the O-Line doesn't turn in a stellar performance that day, but goes on to improve down the stretch in October and beyond.

I don't expect Fournette to go for 150 and a couple of TDs, but if he does that's great. I really think the key to the game will be with the defense. Stop the run cold and their QBs will probably eventually give the team a shot at taking one to the house. I expect a good gameplan that plays to the strengths of the team right now and gives them a real chance at winning. If they let Watson have a Mariota vs the Bucs start to his career then it's going to get ugly around here.

I agree, we'll know a lot about what to expect for the season from that game. They'll have all off​ season to figure out how to do some blocking and how to stop a backup or a rookie QB in his first game. If the Jaguars can't win that one is not a good sign.

I dunno man.

They have at least three guys in that front we haven't proven to be able to block. I hope with Albert and Robinson we will now be able to block Watt, Clowney and Mercilus, but until we do, that is clearly the top concern in my mind.
Test test test
(06-04-2017, 08:24 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2017, 07:28 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, we'll know a lot about what to expect for the season from that game. They'll have all off season to figure out how to do some blocking and how to stop a backup or a rookie QB in his first game. If the Jaguars can't win that one is not a good sign.

I dunno man.

They have at least three guys in that front we haven't proven to be able to block.  I hope with Albert and Robinson we will now be able to block Watt, Clowney and Mercilus, but  until we do, that is clearly the top concern in my mind.

One thing we could do is get some early timing routes or stretch plays going. Get those big men up there going sideline to sideline, and try to wear them out. I think we will have a good shot at winning the opener this year though. I see a 9-0 style game, field goal fest.
Pages: 1 2