Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: I got a job, but I'm worried...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I've been unemployed since August, and I've come to realize that I'm now way out of shape and can't even stand for 15 minutes without my back hurting. A little bit of physical activity just wears me out. While I was plenty accustomed to being on my feet for eight hour days, I'm starting to get freaked out about this. The new job involves manufacturing silicon wafers, and it's rather physical work. I'll be on my feet for 12-hour shifts, and the work itself is fast paced and involves a bit of lifting.

I don't even have an exact start date yet, but I'm thinking in about a week. I do have a treadmill that I use as clothes hanger, and am thinking about using it, but I'm just really worried about my back. Any advice? I'm hoping they don't judge me too quickly as I round myself back into work shape.

Get on that treadmill and get your body working again. But take it slow and build up. Goody 's powder works wonders on back pain. I hate taking it daily but it's the only way I can function until a better solution comes along.
Shoes make all the difference. Either get new comfy shoes and really good padded insoles..

What I used to do when I worked in that industry, I'd go to like a dollar general, walmart or family dollar and buy a really cheap pair of flip-flops. I'd cut the straps off of the flip flops and use them as insoles in my steel toed boots. So much better than those $60 insoles.. Was like walkin on clouds..
Quote:I've been unemployed since August, and I've come to realize that I'm now way out of shape and can't even stand for 15 minutes without my back hurting. A little bit of physical activity just wears me out. While I was plenty accustomed to being on my feet for eight hour days, I'm starting to get freaked out about this. The new job involves manufacturing silicon wafers, and it's rather physical work. I'll be on my feet for 12-hour shifts, and the work itself is fast paced and involves a bit of lifting.

I don't even have an exact start date yet, but I'm thinking in about a week. I do have a treadmill that I use as clothes hanger, and am thinking about using it, but I'm just really worried about my back. Any advice? I'm hoping they don't judge me too quickly as I round myself back into work shape.
Out of interest, do you have a back injury, or is it (for want of a better phrase, and please excuse me) that you would want to be in slightly better shape for the work ahead?

The reason why I ask, is that to start off with, Ibuprofen gel/patches help the affected area. They're made to reduce inflammation which is one of the number one causes of back complaints.

I have a bad back through years of working within the Ambulance Service, lifting patients and dead weights etc. For about a year I've done yoga (you can get basic yoga workouts on YouTube, and they don't take long to take effect), this has really helped my back, and I can lift more and stand for longer...

This may not help, but it's a couple of ideas.

Well I didn't do anything that would have caused an injury. I've just noticed over the past several weeks that it seriously tightens up on me, and yeah I need to get back into work shape. Clearly sitting around the house while unemployed hasn't done me any favors.

Quote:Well I didn't do anything that would have caused an injury. I've just noticed over the past several weeks that it seriously tightens up on me, and yeah I need to get back into work shape. Clearly sitting around the house while unemployed hasn't done me any favors.

Honestly try some yoga-like stretches... it really works well.
Quote:Get on that treadmill and get your body working again. But take it slow and build up. Goody 's powder works wonders on back pain. I hate taking it daily but it's the only way I can function until a better solution comes along.

What is "Good's powder"?

Quote:Honestly try some yoga-like stretches... it really works well.

Hmm... I've been trying to stretch my back and almost thought it was working until I went out yesterday and had to walk around a bit. Are there any particular yoga stretches you're thinking about?

Quote:Hmm... I've been trying to stretch my back and almost thought it was working until I went out yesterday and had to walk around a bit. Are there any particular yoga stretches you're thinking about?

Nothing that springs to mind, you will know with the pain that you get what muscles you're working and not.. If that makes sense.

Perhaps Google/YouTube 'basic yoga techniques' (normally for core strengthening) - if there's a little bit of bearable pain whilst you're stretching, that's normally a good sign. It means it's working.
One suggestion before you start an exercise program is to see a doctor.  Especially,  since you have a back issue.  

I hope the new job works out the way you are hoping it will!

Quote:What is "Good's powder"?
[Image: Picture-1897.jpg]
Quote:One suggestion before you start an exercise program is to see a doctor.  Especially,  since you have a back issue.  

I hope the new job works out the way you are hoping it will!

Yeah, I've thought about seeing a doctor but wasn't sure if it would do any good.

As a back pain sufferer, no judgements here, but are you carrying a little more belly weight than you normally do? I've got two herniated discs in my lower back from a car accident, and I can really feel the difference if I go up a few pounds.

Seeing a doctor is a good idea, because there might be an underlying issue causing your pain that you're not aware of, and if there isn't, at least you might be able to get some muscle relaxers that you can use until you get yourself back into your working groove again.

One thing that I swear by is Advil liqui-gels...if I could buy them by the caseload, I would!!
Yoga. I have done it for years. I have never met anyone who tried it that didn't at least come to mildly enjoy it.

There are plenty of stretches, but you can get aN easy beginner video on Amazon that is 17-25 minutes for $10 bucks. Or,get a DVD at the store, they are all on sale right now because of New Years resolutions.

I got one about 10 years ago for stress. It was only 15 minutes long. It really helped. It's funny, because although I worked out, I never realized how weak I was in flexibility. It really has become a staple of my workouts (I wish I could skip jogging and just do yoga all the time)

http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/yog...helps-back

http://www.yogajournal.com/category/pose...back-pain/
Congrats on the job.

I don't know your age but if you're relatively young I wouldn't sweat it. Barring an injury, the pain is more than likely caused from months of being sedentary. You'll be sore for a few days and then bounce back. I would recommend walking and standing as much as possible the next few days to begin the process. To stretch your lower back lay flat on the floor and pull your knees up to your chest.

You'll be fine. I have Holiday Inn Express rewards points to prove it.
Give it a few weeks jags your body just has to get used to working again. Maybe take some walks this week to get ready for the new work load
Back issues can often be tied to stretching. Get a good lower body stretching regimen, particularly the hammy's.

Quote:I've been unemployed since August, and I've come to realize that I'm now way out of shape and can't even stand for 15 minutes without my back hurting. A little bit of physical activity just wears me out. While I was plenty accustomed to being on my feet for eight hour days, I'm starting to get freaked out about this. The new job involves manufacturing silicon wafers, and it's rather physical work. I'll be on my feet for 12-hour shifts, and the work itself is fast paced and involves a bit of lifting.

I'd suggest you give this little workout a try if you can.

http://www.prevention.com/fitness/streng...-exercises

It's less a workout and more a series of exercises designed to help you regain some general strength.
Just walk every day. Try to start with a mile and increasing each week. Start now and in a couple weeks it'll make the world of difference. I started it and my back would kill me but I'm up to 3 miles a day with no problem. If youre working in a factory, it's largely production based performance but you got a few weeks before it really starts to matter. So DO NOT WAIT. Start walking now.
Just do it the New American Way. Get into pain management asap, escalate to oxys and dream your life away.

Seriously, congratulations on the new job, I agree with those who advised a checkup before starting any activities that may exacerbate a possible problem.

Pages: 1 2 3 4