Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What is the minimum Fred Taylor needs for the Hall of Fame?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
His stats are 11,695 yards rushing, 74 touchdowns, with An Eye POPPING 4.6 ypc

He has 1 pro bowl in 2007 where he averaged a 5.4 ypc. Let me repeat that...he averaged 5.4 yards everytime he carried the rock.

He missed 55 career games. This has been discussed many times, but if he would have play atleast half of those games, who knows where he would rank on the all time list.

He was also up for rookie of the year in 1998 but Randy Moss won that battle. Fred rushed for a career high 14 TDs.

He ran for over 1000 yards 7 different times in his career. He only started all 16 games just twice in his career.

He only had 8 career receiving touchdowns.

In 2003 he posted 1942 yards from scrimmage.

In your opinion how much more would he need AT MINIMUM, to reach the hall of fame?

Note - He holds the longest run in playoff history. And most rushing yards in a half.
Man if Fred plays in those 55 games he would've been close to 16,000 yards.

He's my fave player ever and I think he deserves it but he won't get in, imo.
Quote:Man if Fred plays in those 55 games he would've been close to 16,000 yards.

He's my fave player ever and I think he deserves it but he won't get in, imo.

What do you think he would need at minimum to get in? He's at 11,695.

If he would have rushed for 13,695 do you think he gets in?
I think he has enough yards. He lacks TDs and individual/team awards.
If Fred Taylor average just 60 yards rushing for HALF of those 55 games that he missed he would have finished with 13,345 yards rushing which would put him 7th all time behind Bettis.

If he could have those 55 missed games back and rushed for just 60 yards in each game he would have finished with 14,995 yards rushing. That would have put him 4th all-time behind Barry Sanders.

His career rushing average per game is 76.4 so if he would have rushed for 76.4 yards per game in those 55 games, he would have finished with 15,897 yards rushing. That would have put him 3rd all-time behind Walter Payton.

If he could just have half of those games back, he would definitely be in the hall of fame with 13,345 yards rushing. Good for 7th all time.
If only Fred didn't tear his groin when he did.

Fred will get in one day but it's going to probably be another 10-15 years
He will get in.  If you look at the era of rbs after him and before him  He stacks right up with the best and it doesn't look like the active players challenging his numbers will reach him.  He will either have to wait until after Adrian Peterson or get in before he is eligible.

Quote:He will get in. If you look at the era of rbs after him and before him He stacks right up with the best and it doesn't look like the active players challenging his numbers will reach him. He will either have to wait until after Adrian Peterson or get in before he is eligible.

Adrian Peterson just passed him on the all time list. He has a chance to go top 10.
Quote:Adrian Peterson just passed him on the all time list. He has a chance to go top 10.

I don't know how I feel about AP after seeing him in action last year before and after the injury.  

Basically the next RB to get in will be Edgerrin James.  Next is either Fred Taylor or AP and AP still playing makes FT more likely.  Frank Gore has a shot after them but we have to wait for him to retire.  Basically best bet for Fred to get in relatively quick is within the next 6 years after Edgerrin is in and Gore and AP aren't eligible.  

In my eyes those are the last 4 eligible HOF RBs we will have for atleast 10-15 years, nobody else seems to either have the body of work or be on pace for it.
Quote:I don't know how I feel about AP after seeing him in action last year before and after the injury.

Basically the next RB to get in will be Edgerrin James. Next is either Fred Taylor or AP and AP still playing makes FT more likely. Frank Gore has a shot after them but we have to wait for him to retire. Basically best bet for Fred to get in relatively quick is within the next 6 years after Edgerrin is in and Gore and AP aren't eligible.

In my eyes those are the last 4 eligible HOF RBs we will have for atleast 10-15 years, nobody else seems to either have the body of work or be on pace for it.

Adrian Peterson and Frank Gore are first ballot hall of famers. I don't think Fred will get in anytime soon. If he does, it will be after those 2 get in first.

I don't think he will get in before those 2 guys.
He needed more rushing titles, about 2000 more yards and 30 more TDs. Yes, he is one of the greatest backs to ever play...but he was injured A LOT so the numbers are not there and he played for a small market. He deserves to be in the HOF, but he will never make it in. 

Quote:Adrian Peterson and Frank Gore are first ballot hall of famers. I don't think Fred will get in anytime soon. If he does, it will be after those 2 get in first.

I think Fred is in before Gore
Divorce his legacy from the Jaguars.
Quote:I think Fred is in before Gore

Agreed

Quote:Adrian Peterson and Frank Gore are first ballot hall of famers. I don't think Fred will get in anytime soon. If he does, it will be after those 2 get in first.

no way is gore a first ballot guy.  He is just a good RB who has played for a long time, he only has 1 remarkable season
Gore, not in Fred's stratosphere. Fred much greater than Edge as well. A shame these two are in the active picture ahead of Fred.
Quote:I don't know how I feel about AP after seeing him in action last year before and after the injury.  

Basically the next RB to get in will be Edgerrin James.  Next is either Fred Taylor or AP and AP still playing makes FT more likely.  Frank Gore has a shot after them but we have to wait for him to retire.  Basically best bet for Fred to get in relatively quick is within the next 6 years after Edgerrin is in and Gore and AP aren't eligible.  

Fred Taylor was always better than Edgerrin James and should get in ahead of James if either get in.

Quote:He needed more rushing titles, about 2000 more yards and 30 more TDs. Yes, he is one of the greatest backs to ever play...but he was injured A LOT so the numbers are not there and he played for a small market. He deserves to be in the HOF, but he will never make it in. 

There wasn't ever a point where he was better than the 3rd best back of his generation. I loved him being here, but he was playing in an era with several truly great backs and his fame doesn't stack up.
Fred was always behind Marshall Faulk and LaDanian Tomlinson, but not that far behind. I still contend that if Fred never tore his groin when he did, we'd be having an entirely different conversation.

Quote:Fred was always behind Marshall Faulk and LaDanian Tomlinson, but not that far behind. I still contend that if Fred never tore his groin when he did, we'd be having an entirely different conversation.

Absolutely, but he did and that's that.
Pages: 1 2