Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2007 last time I've felt this good going into offseason
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well it was definately a different circumstance then, one that failed miserably, but it's just nice to put into perspective how long it's been since we've had this kind of hope.  Wins and losses, this season will probably play out as most expected, but i think the star power we are seeing develop in front of our eyes has exceeded expectations tremendously.  I haven't been this hopefull of the team in soooo long.  Every offseason there seems to be manufactured hope, only to get let down.  This time is different, it's real, it's right there on the field!  And the Jags have a Franchise QB, what!?!  Can't wait to watch this play out!

Not to mention talent that will sure to be added in free agency/draft, bookoo bucks to spend. Yep, arrow definitely up and much to look forward to.

With additions in the draft and free agency to plug a few holes and add depth what is there not to like about this team? 

Dante Fowler. I can't wait to watch him play.
The only negative is that I am not sure if Bradley is the coach to take them to the promise land.  I would almost want Doug Marone more than Bradley. 

Quote:The only negative is that I am not sure if Bradley is the coach to take them to the promise land. I would almost want Doug Marone more than Bradley.

We'll see. I have my doubts as well, but he coached a very good game against Indy and he's been doing better. Now that we have talent it's up to him to use it, get him his property defensive talent like we did to the offense and who knows how well he'll be.
Pretty sure if we finish strong......he'll be around.

Quote:Pretty sure if we finish strong......he'll be around.

Pretty sure at this point he will be regardless
Quote:Pretty sure at this point he will be regardless
Yeah, everything I am hearing is that Gus will be back no matter what.  I guess there is something to be said about being patient.  Both Billicheck and Carrol got fired on their first HC jobs and look at them now. 
If you hire a coordinator to be your head coach, you have to give him time to learn to be a head coach.  When Caldwell and Khan chose Bradley and gutted the roster 3 offseasons ago, they understood this to be a process and were projecting out beyond 3 years.  The last thing they/we needed at that time was an Andy Reid or equivalent coming in here and winning a few additional unnecessary games and putting us into QB purgatory.  We're in a very good spot right now that we may not have been in had they hired a seasoned head coach.  I believe that was by design.

Quote:We'll see. I have my doubts as well, but he coached a very good game against Indy and he's been doing better. Now that we have talent it's up to him to use it, get him his property defensive talent like we did to the offense and who knows how well he'll be.

Yeah, if only we played 3rd string QBs and lame duck coaches every week!
Quote:Dante Fowler. I can't wait to watch him play.

Freaky athlete off the edge that plays with passion and violence, I can't wait to watch him as well.
Quote:The only negative is that I am not sure if Bradley is the coach to take them to the promise land.  I would almost want Doug Marone more than Bradley. 

Yeah, I definitely get that and have said that a couple times myself.  He is a good motivator and keeps his players bought in but I wonder about game planning and game day coaching sometimes.  Seems like it's gotten better so maybe if the players can improve through hard work, the head coach can do the same. 
I think the plan was to give him his full contract pretty much.  They got some breaks and it looks like a nice upward trajectory from here.  It is kinda of silly to think on the whole manufactured excitement deal for the previous off seasons.  Year 1 - hooray it is new.  Year 2 - wow they are bad I sure hope the QB works out.  Team/Front Office yeah but year 3.  Year 3 was never "the year".  I think the general idea is the division is weak and they hoped for the best but oversold things to the fan base.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that approach it is just nice to have real excitement as you point out.

Quote:Yeah, I definitely get that and have said that a couple times myself.  He is a good motivator and keeps his players bought in but I wonder about game planning and game day coaching sometimes.  Seems like it's gotten better so maybe if the players can improve through hard work, the head coach can do the same. 
Of course a head coach can get better over time.
Its been a crazy fun season and its not even over yet...which is huge considering we are typically done far before the end of December. Looking forward to the offseason as well with the money we have to spend and the draft. Plus seeing DFJ get healthy.

Hopefully our season next year differs from the 08 season...

Quote:The only negative is that I am not sure if Bradley is the coach to take them to the promise land.  I would almost want Doug Marone more than Bradley. 
This is exactly how I feel. I don't know if Bradley is the one to take us to the next level. I guess we'll all wait and see how this pans out but damn this offense is starting to remind me of that magical 99 season. 
Quote:I think the plan was to give him his full contract pretty much.  They got some breaks and it looks like a nice upward trajectory from here.  It is kinda of silly to think on the whole manufactured excitement deal for the previous off seasons.  Year 1 - hooray it is new.  Year 2 - wow they are bad I sure hope the QB works out.  Team/Front Office yeah but year 3.  Year 3 was never "the year".  I think the general idea is the division is weak and they hoped for the best but oversold things to the fan base.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that approach it is just nice to have real excitement as you point out.
I think a great deal of the 'heartburn' with Bradley was the fact that the franchise did 'oversell' things to the fan base to the point of many fans having unrealistic expectations for this point of the build. This isn't to say that Gus didn't commit his share of errors... obviously he has; but it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that there is a 'learning curve' for new HC's just as there is for rookie players. Perhaps the recent dolts game is an indication of better things to come from him and the players. We'll see.
Only a couple players needed to solidify the offense next season.

Let's go get some defensive talent and offensive linemen, and let's roll next year!
Pages: 1 2