Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Should the Jaguars consider going for the two point conversion more often?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Jason Myers seems to be good to miss at least one extra point a game, so should the Jaguars consider going for two more often instead?

It's risky, but two point conversions will often rattle the opponent. At the same time Jacksonville has been compensating for Myers' misses anyways so it wouldn't be an unfamiliar road if we did fail to convert them and leave points off the board.

Seems to be working very well for the Steelers, too.

They may as well, Myers is garbage 

Great point. Steelers style.

at this point? why not.

It works well for the Steelers because they have more talent on offense. Before the first Bengals game, they had a great running back to do it with. Antonio Brown is one of the best wide receivers. Ben Roethsliberger is one of the better QBs and has been playing a long time. You can't expect teams like the Jaguars to be that successful on TPC attempts.

Given that our offensive line is unable to create holes for running backs inside the 5-yard line, we can only do it by passing. The last time we tried that, it failed. In fact I don't remember the last time we were successful. We just need a better, more reliable kicker.

Great post.

I'd say yes.
7 misses in 13 games = 1 per game.

Math is hard.
Quote:They may as well, Myers is garbage

I just can't believe he is still on the team. He will cost us another game this year mark my words.
[Image: 1374.gif]

Quote:It works well for the Steelers because they have more talent on offense. Before the first Bengals game, they had a great running back to do it with. Antonio Brown is one of the best wide receivers. Ben Roethsliberger is one of the better QBs and has been playing a long time. You can't expect teams like the Jaguars to be that successful on TPC attempts.

Given that our offensive line is unable to create holes for running backs inside the 5-yard line, we can only do it by passing. The last time we tried that, it failed. In fact I don't remember the last time we were successful. We just need a better, more reliable kicker.
I'm inclined to agree with you here. While I fully understand the mindset that would rather just go for two rather than trust our lame kicker to make what should be a 'bread n butter' type kick, it would be preferable to get a more reliable kicker. However since it doesn't appear that this is going to happen this season, going for two may be our next best option.
Until the last 2 games, my answer would have been no because the Jags redzone offense was terrible but it has  really improved.  Now, I am thinking why not.  At the very least, it would give the redzone offense more snaps

Yes, because we can now that we avg 40+ pts per game now and Myers is unreliable.

Yes.  Please.

His FG percentage has looked pretty good since the two misses in Indy.  (He's only missed one FG since that October 4th match-up)

I seriously think the kid would benefit from a sports psychologist - 'cause this extra point thing is clearly in his head and not his leg.

Many pro golfers see these guys almost like they are their second coach   -  and I think he'd benefit similarly. 
Seems he may have built in an auto correction in his leg swing to adjust for pull or push depending on placement of the ball on the hash marks left or right for longer ranges.. On the shorter kicks his power outweighs the adjustment and is not required but the motion is muscle memory that he struggles to correct for on the shorter kicks? Just a guess. He might need to reduce his power substantially on the PAT's.

Considering how bad we have been in goal line short yardage situations, probably not.

Quote:Yes, because we can now that we average 40+ points per game now and Myers is unreliable.

Liar. We never even came close to 40 points before the game in Nashville.
Boswell has been awesome for them as well tho.

Quote:7 misses in 13 games = 1 per game.

Math is hard.

I don't think anyone insinuated he literally misses one extra point a game. Purposeful exaggeration.

Quote:Jason Myers seems to be good to miss at least one extra point a game

Outside of that your post brought nothing valuable to the discussion at hand. Congratulations.
Quote:Considering how bad we have been in goal line short yardage situations, probably not.

Won't argue that. We've been pretty bad in goal line situations. But who knows? Maybe we turned the corner on those issues last game.
Pages: 1 2