Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hate Speech or Free Speech?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With all of the entitlement generation (college students) demanding "safe zones" among other things at colleges around the country, I came across this interesting study.  The question is, should someone be allowed to express or say whatever they want, even if it is offensive to other certain people, or should the government be able to control it and ban it?

Of course in my mind, people should be able to say what they want and express themselves however they choose without fear of repercussions from government.  A very good and clear example (though kind of extreme for this discussion) is the Westboro Baptist Church with their protests.  More closely related that I can think of is people speaking out against the "black lives matter" movement.  What if people actually speak out and call out the girl that is "traumatized" by reading about white people?  Clearly this student is a "loon".  Should it be against the law for me to say that?

If I publicly said that I hate black people (which I don't for the record) should that be illegal?  What if I said the same about gay people or Muslims?

In other news, 40% of millennials are idiots with no comprehension of how quickly things go to hell when the government is allowed to control speech.

Quote:In other news, 40% of millennials are idiots with no comprehension of how quickly things go to hell when the government is allowed to control speech.

That's shocking... coming from a lib such as yourself.   Wink
Quote:That's shocking... coming from a lib such as yourself.   Wink
lib...ertarian Wink

I'm not opposed to demonstrations of free speech being moved when they're in a place that they will disrupt the normal flow of activity. Like, no Black Lives Matter rallies in the street in Times Square, please. I am opposed to a display of free, protected speech, including hate speech, being stifled entirely or forcibly moved without justification. I think the Westboro Baptist Church counter-protesters should be an example to us all. If you don't like what one group is saying, say something yourself, even if that's just raising white banners to keep their signs out of view.
Quote:In other news, 40% of millennials are idiots with no comprehension of how quickly things go to hell when the government is allowed to control speech.

Very true. Which is why some of us don't want government control of political speech - i.e., limits on campaign contributions. But that seems to be a government limit (control) that many don't seem to have a problem with.
Quote:With all of the entitlement generation (college students) demanding "safe zones" among other things at colleges around the country, I came across this interesting study.  The question is, should someone be allowed to express or say whatever they want, even if it is offensive to other certain people, or should the government be able to control it and ban it?

Of course in my mind, people should be able to say what they want and express themselves however they choose without fear of repercussions from government.  A very good and clear example (though kind of extreme for this discussion) is the Westboro Baptist Church with their protests.  More closely related that I can think of is people speaking out against the "black lives matter" movement.  What if people actually speak out and call out the girl that is "traumatized" by reading about white people?  Clearly this student is a "loon".  Should it be against the law for me to say that?

If I publicly said that I hate black people (which I don't for the record) should that be illegal?  What if I said the same about gay people or Muslims?

I'm for free speech.  
Quote:Very true. Which is why some of us don't want government control of political speech - i.e., limits on campaign contributions. But that seems to be a government limit (control) that many don't seem to have a problem with.

I'm also against government control of political contributions.  
Quote:Very true. Which is why some of us don't want government control of political speech - i.e., limits on campaign contributions. But that seems to be a government limit (control) that many don't seem to have a problem with.
I do think there should be a maximum allowable donation per person to a political campaign, and corporations should not be able to contribute money. The system we have disproportionately favors the very wealthy, as they're able to funnel hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more) into a campaign, ensuring that their wishes are paid attention to. The rest of us are left to donate $50, $100, $500, whatever we can, but we don't really have a say in the campaign.

All we can say individually is, "We agree, and here's a few bucks to prove it." If the Koch brothers walk into the room with a million bucks, they can say, "Here's your platform."
The free flow of ideas, no mater how controversial, is essential for liberty and advancement. Yes I'll call a spade a spade, if you can't deal with it. your problem.

I just re-listened to a CD that was released in 1976, 2112 by Rush, and the 1 side deals with free expression being stifled. In this case it was music but..... The words of the Priest in the lyrics "Forget about your silly whim, it doesn't fit the plan".

When we let government control 100% of our daily lives, the free spirit is vanquished which is against the nature of man itself.

Quote:I do think there should be a maximum allowable donation per person to a political campaign, and corporations should not be able to contribute money. The system we have disproportionately favors the very wealthy, as they're able to funnel hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more) into a campaign, ensuring that their wishes are paid attention to. The rest of us are left to donate $50, $100, $500, whatever we can, but we don't really have a say in the campaign.

All we can say individually is, "We agree, and here's a few bucks to prove it." If the Koch brothers walk into the room with a million bucks, they can say, "Here's your platform."

A person can buy a newspaper and publish whatever he wants.   A person can buy a TV network and say whatever he wants.   So why can't a person buy advertising and say whatever he wants?   To me, it's a free speech issue.   I'm sorry rich people have more power than poor people, but that's the price you have to pay in a free society.   I don't see any palatable way around it.  

As for corporations, a corporation is nothing but a group of people organizing their money by issuing shares and selling them, to each other, or to other people.  I don't see why we demonize this activity.   Corporations in essence are just groups of people.   So I don't see how you can restrict the free speech of a corporation. 
Quote:A person can buy a TV network and say whatever he wants.

Not true.
Freedom of speech has slowly turned into the freedom of stupidity for the last few years..

I'm thankful for people to have the right to show us how stupid they really are..
Quote:The free flow of ideas, no mater how controversial, is essential for liberty and advancement. Yes I'll call a spade a spade, if you can't deal with it. your problem.

I just re-listened to a CD that was released in 1976, 2112 by Rush, and the 1 side deals with free expression being stifled. In this case it was music but..... The words of the Priest in the lyrics "Forget about your silly whim, it doesn't fit the plan".

When we let government control 100% of our daily lives, the free spirit is vanquished which is against the nature of man itself.

lol ... when I saw Rush I assumed you meant Limbaugh.
Quote:Freedom of speech has slowly turned into the freedom of stupidity for the last few years..

I'm thankful for people to have the right to show us how stupid they really are..

That's what twitter is for.
Quote:Freedom of speech has slowly turned into the freedom of stupidity for the last few years..

So much truth here.
Quote:That's what twitter is for.

It's the best of all worlds, it only allows as many characters as Millennials can digest in one helping.
Quote:It's the best of all worlds, it only allows as many characters as Millennials can digest in one helping.
Hey, I make it through most of JIB's posts in one sitting.
Where do I sign up for some of this free speech? Is there a waiting list? Do I have to show proof of income?
CAUTION! CAUTION! CAUTION!

HATE SPEECH AHEAD!

TRIGGER WARNING! TRIGGER WARNING! TRIGGER WARNING!

Click this link if you dare!

This is not a day care. This is a university!

[Image: 2b8bfe4d-a088-4a99-87b4-0f93bc4b8421_zps2tetbh8u.jpg]

Pages: 1 2