Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Red Zone Offense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Greg Olson should spend every waking moment working on how to score TDs when the offense is 20 yards or closer from the end zone. I no longer refer to it as the red zone when referencing the Jaguars. Instead I say we are in hospice because the drive is most likely about to die. The playcalling has been as bad as the execution all year long. Time to fix it. Correcting our issues in this part of our game will mean the difference between being a contender or being a pretender.
Gus is trying to toughen up our O-line, running, pounding the ball at the 10 yard line and closer.  Gotta be mean and physical at the LOS like Seattle.

Allen Robinson and Julius Thomas are two red zone nightmares for opposing defenses...and we ran it 3 times in a row from inside the 5 yard line. I hate to point out any negatives after a win, but this one is so obvious!!

That was the worst red zone playcalling I've seen in years.
Quote:Greg Olson should spend every waking moment working on how to score TDs when the offense is 20 yards or closer from the end zone. I no longer refer to it as the red zone when referencing the Jaguars. Instead I say we are in hospice because the drive is most likely about to die. The playcalling has been as bad as the execution all year long. Time to fix it. Correcting our issues in this part of our game will mean the difference between being a contender or being a pretender.

lol, so the red zone will be known as the Hospice Zone, at least until the Jags find a way to score TDs an above average amount of the time.

I gotta remember that for the next game 9 days away now.
I agree, let's exploit our strenghts: Thomas, Arob, Hurns, Walters and Yeldon, spread them out and use Blake's mobility. 

It wasn't a coincidence that the one time we spread the formation we scored a TD rather than just going through the middle and taking Yeldon out each time we get to the redzone.

Hopefully this time they understood that running all the time through the middle doesn't work, I thought it was obvious after we got stuck the same way vs the Bills, but maybe yesterday it opened some eyes.

Quote:That was the worst red zone playcalling I've seen in years.

Or since the Buffalo game
Quote:Or since the Buffalo game

Nah man, last night was worse.
If we are going to continue to pull out Yeldon at the goal line, then I hope we at least invest in a powerback in the offseason.

From what they were saying on 1010, Blake is having trouble getting touch on his fades. That could be contributing to it a bit.
Quote:From what they were saying on 1010, Blake is having trouble getting touch on his fades. That could be contributing to it a bit.
Fade or not, we NEED a power-running game...

Our o-line cannot even muster enough of a push to get the ball advanced 1 or 2 yards...
The play calling up into the red zone has been pretty good. But like you said, the redzone calls have been pretty awful so far. I think Olsen is trying to force some plays, but i think it'll get better
Quote:From what they were saying on 1010, Blake is having trouble getting touch on his fades. That could be contributing to it a bit.

There are other ways to pass than just the Fade.
Watch the Patriots, Saints, Broncos, Green Bay, or any high powered offense for that matter and see how they score. They end up tricking the defense or have an almost unstoppable go-to play for the red-zone. I don't understand why we don't have any creative plays for that situation, and running it up the middle with Denard isn't going to cut it. Lobbing a fade to JT or Robinson can work, but most of the time it doesn't. 

Quote:Allen Robinson and Julius Thomas are two red zone nightmares for opposing defenses...and we ran it 3 times in a row from inside the 5 yard line. I hate to point out any negatives after a win, but this one is so obvious!!

3 times in a row with our 200 pound spell back. I don't get it.
Quote:Nah man, last night was worse.
Eh I dunno.  Hard to top running Slowby up the gut 4 straight times and not gaining a single yard.
Quote:That was the worst red zone playcalling I've seen in years.

Don't you mean since the Buffalo game?
Quote:Fade or not, we NEED a power-running game...

Our o-line cannot even muster enough of a push to get the ball advanced 1 or 2 yards...
We do NEED a power running game. But until our OL can push guys off the spot, its going to be tough (whoever we lineup in the backfield) to grind that 1-2 yards when they are expecting it. We need to use the versatility that we have in guys like Drob, Yeldon, Blake, to catch the defense off-guard.
Quote:There are other ways to pass than just the Fade.

Agreed. Wasn't meaning it as an excuse. We've seen Blake rifle it into ARob from the goal line before.
I don't understand why they don't try a play action roll-out with Blake. You have to play to your team's strengths.

Pages: 1 2 3