Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars Fighting to Keep Culture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Specialized milkshakes?
Good read.
Nice read. Thanks for sharing.

It's frustrating as a fan not seeing the W's. I myself have questioned Bradley. But it seems like more and more articles are coming out with the positives in the organization. Which keeps me optimistic. I hope they are all right. No doubt, the Jags are showing improvement. Just need to finish the games and stop shooting themselves in the foot. If the wins no come, it won't matter how good of a culture they have in place.
"personalized milkshakes, music during practice and yoga and massages for players"

No wonder Julius is getting fat. Vacation time.

Quote:http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl.../76035898/

Good find.  As frustrating as it is to have endured the losses over the past couple of years, we are finally starting to see the nucleus for a very good team coming from the younger players on the roster.  It hasn't come quickly enough for some, but the progress is real, and should only continue for this team.  Hopefully they're in the midst of turning the corner from bad to good.  It sure seems that way.
And to further cement what the article, to me it seems that were getting a whole lot more media exposure than we have had in recent years. You don't get that if there's not anything g to write about. There's something brewing here for sure.

Now to get someone to make a Gus Bradley milkshake meme......
Bradley's mindset reminds me of something that I heard a, of all things, Little League football coach say once: "If you set your goals wrong, they'll eventually become limits. You don't ever want your focus to be a number, because what happens once you hit that number? Do you stop being a football player? Do you stop being a team?" I take that as set your goals on a more existential basis so that you build a solid idea of the work that it takes to succeed, period.

Bradley seems to have that in his head. He doesn't put his focus on long term goals, rather he wants the players to think about what they are doing right now and how they need to use their effort towards improvement. I dig that. I just hope that he starts seeing more success on the scoreboard.

You also have to balance that with the basic physics definition of "work" you can expend all the energy you want, it doesn't count unless there is movement. If we were 1-8 we would be talking about building a new culture.
Quote:Bradley's mindset reminds me of something that I heard a, of all things, Little League football coach say once: "If you set your goals wrong, they'll eventually become limits. You don't ever want your focus to be a number, because what happens once you hit that number? Do you stop being a football player? Do you stop being a team?" I take that as set your goals on a more existential basis so that you build a solid idea of the work that it takes to succeed, period.

Bradley seems to have that in his head. He doesn't put his focus on long term goals, rather he wants the players to think about what they are doing right now and how they need to use their effort towards improvement. I dig that. I just hope that he starts seeing more success on the scoreboard.

In the NFL, I think that's probably a wise approach to take.  It's one week to the next when dealing with the players.  The organization as a whole might have long-term definitive goals, but the focus for the players is from one game to the next, one day to the next.  The expectation is that as the players refine their craft and become more effective, that will be reflected on the scoreboard.  We're already seeing slow progress in that regard. 
Quote:You also have to balance that with the basic physics definition of "work" you can expend all the energy you want, it doesn't count unless there is movement. If we were 1-8 we would be talking about building a new culture.

Or, we could use the Thermodynamics version that goes deeper than the mere physics and understands that work done means energy transferred.

But what do I know?
Quote:Or, we could use the Thermodynamics version that goes deeper than the mere physics and understands that work done means energy transferred.

But what do I know?
You don't have to get all geek preachy on us.
Quote:You don't have to get all geek preachy on us.

Yeah, but if I didn't then what role would I have on here? I mean, a man has to have his place in the world, right?
Quote:Yeah, but if I didn't then what role would I have on here? I mean, a man has to have his place in the world, right?
Geek on then!
Quote:Or, we could use the Thermodynamics version that goes deeper than the mere physics and understands that work done means energy transferred.

But what do I know?
This ain't the place for all that fancy book learnin' (my tack fan impression).
Quote:This ain't the place for all that fancy book learnin' (my tack fan impression
).

It needs a lot of work. Just look at your post! You used proper grammar, spelling, even punctuation! I even got the sense that you were employed and had shoes on! Come on man, you're better than that.
Interesting stuff. It will probably only further entrench people on either side of the Gus debate.

On the one hand it is admirable and I really want it to work. To have success built around such a positive culture would make us all so proud of this organisation. And, while some will undoubtedly disagree, I think Gus has done a good job through this period of 'total rebuild' that came with guaranteed losing (personally I can't remember any other team blowing up the roster and starting from scratch to the extent we did). That's not an enviable situation for any coach, but Gus has helped to created a positive vibe and a culture where young players can commit to development. We are starting to see the benefits of that coming through now.

On the other hand, I am sceptical if it is still the best mentality for the future. I wonder whether Gus was the right man for the rebuild, but possibly not the right man for 'phase 2', which we are entering now? A core of players have emerged to take this team forward. I think the focus will need to shift from 'commitment to personal development' to 'commitment to winning'. Comments like "It's not about wins and losses all the time" from Marcedes are sure to really [BAD WORD REMOVED] some people off round here, even if you can understand his point. We need a coach that will now put a priority on results. Can Gus evolve into that coach? I hope so, but like I said, I am sceptical.

More than anything I hope we go on a run over the second half of the season which ties all these positive things - the positive culture, the process of focussing on draft and develop, etc - together with actual wins. I am rooting for Gus.

But what do I know?
...good point.
Quote:It needs a lot of work. Just look at your post! You used proper grammar, spelling, even punctuation! I even got the sense that you were employed and had shoes on! Come on man, you're better than that.
See, and I was just thinking about how the lack of spray paint/crayon would work in conveying that.  Obviously I have much to learn.
Quote:It needs a lot of work. Just look at your post! You used proper grammar, spelling, even punctuation! I even got the sense that you were employed and had shoes on! Come on man, you're better than that.
Agreed.  Had he started with "Uncle Daddy said...." he might have made a better impression.
Pages: 1 2 3