Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Ruminations on the Offense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If this team is going to make a run for the playoffs this season (and I still find that difficult to type), clearly it will have to play better football than it has thus far.

While Bortles and the passing game is the strength of this offense, I think this past game, even though a win, might be a blueprint teams will use to slow the passing game down.  There will reach a point of diminishing returns on offense unless some things can change quickly.

The first thing is that the running game has to pick up.  Yeldon has had the occasional nice run, but I think as a whole, the running game is not consistent enough.  I don't pin the blame on Yeldon, though watching him I get the sense he dances a little too much.  I think the team needs to be more persistent running the football, and it needs to be a little more diverse.  Perhaps the play selection is an indictment of the physicality (or lack thereof) of the left side of the offensive line, but it seems the team runs almost exclusively right.  The sense I get is we need to attack the middle and left more, and do more to establish the run earlier in games, but we may not be as physical or as effective in the running game until the guards are manned by Cann and Linder next year.

This, in turn will make Bortles more effective when he passes.  It will bring back play action.  The offense's ability to draw in LBs and safeties will only make Bortles more effective attacking downfield.  Doing this should make Julius Thomas more of a factor and slow down the opposing pass rush, give AR15 , Hurns, and dare I say Lee more room to attack secondaries in intermediate and deep passes.

Which brings me to my final point.  Thomas and Lee must be integrated into the flow of the offense.  Without them being a factor for most of the season, the passing game has produced a lot of big plays.  Bortles ranks something like second in the league in the number of 20+ yard pass plays (Brees is first, IIRC).  But there were times against the Ravens the offense bogged down, even against a defense ranked low against the pass.  A more diversified pass offense will be tougher to defend and game plan against.  Once Lee and Thomas present themselves as viable threats in whom Bortles has confidence, I think this offense will take off.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Quote:If this team is going to make a run for the playoffs this season (and I still find that difficult to type), clearly it will have to play better football than it has thus far.

While Bortles and the passing game is the strength of this offense, I think this past game, even though a win, might be a blueprint teams will use to slow the passing game down.  There will reach a point of diminishing returns on offense unless some things can change quickly.

The first thing is that the running game has to pick up.  Yeldon has had the occasional nice run, but I think as a whole, the running game is not consistent enough.  I don't pin the blame on Yeldon, though watching him I get the sense he dances a little too much.  I think the team needs to be more persistent running the football, and it needs to be a little more diverse.  Perhaps the play selection is an indictment of the physicality (or lack thereof) of the left side of the offensive line, but it seems the team runs almost exclusively right.  The sense I get is we need to attack the middle and left more, and do more to establish the run earlier in games, but we may not be as physical or as effective in the running game until the guards are manned by Cann and Linder next year.

This, in turn will make Bortles more effective when he passes.  It will bring back play action.  The offense's ability to draw in LBs and safeties will only make Bortles more effective attacking downfield.  Doing this should make Julius Thomas more of a factor and slow down the opposing pass rush, give AR15 , Hurns, and dare I say Lee more room to attack secondaries in intermediate and deep passes.

Which brings me to my final point.  Thomas and Lee must be integrated into the flow of the offense.  Without them being a factor for most of the season, the passing game has produced a lot of big plays.  Bortles ranks something like second in the league in the number of 20+ yard pass plays (Brees is first, IIRC).  But there were times against the Ravens the offense bogged down, even against a defense ranked low against the pass.  A more diversified pass offense will be tougher to defend and game plan against.  Once Lee and Thomas present themselves as viable threats in whom Bortles has confidence, I think this offense will take off.

The only way to get into the flow of the offense is to actually practice and play in the games. It's not a shocker that Blake has great chemistry with the Allens since they have played and practiced more than any other receiving threat. 

Lee needs to catch some balls doe. Multiple times the ball went right through his hands. You might not see that chemistry come this next game either since we are on the short week.

I'll say this though, Lee did look pretty fast out there. Still love Walters because he's got glue on his hands and I think he still needs to be in the slot.
I think the OC could scheme up a bit more to involve Thomas.  It is weird to see Lewis open on those seam routes.

It will be difficult to make teams believe that we intend to run the ball with Julius in, and if we do he becomes a liability in the run game. We need a hybrid tight end to pair with him so we can go double sets to where he could lead block or pull, and then when we go play action we can sneak Julius out the back side or up the seam. Marcedes isn't what he used to be.
I think Bortles has been doing great, but somewhere he can improve is making that first-read throw. He loves to scan the field, which is good if you have time, but it is causing him to hold on to the ball a second or two too long than the line can handle. This also means he is late throwing on short routes and the line isn't good enough to hold for longer routes. There was a wide open throw to ML to the endzone that he missed which was in his first-read vision and ended up throwing an incompletion to the other side of the field. If he makes that throw as soon as he drops back its a touchdown. I think he lacks confidence for his first-read to be open, but I think that will come when he gets more comfortable with the routes and reading the defense.

Although Blake has to see the field better, on the play where Arob broke up the surefire interception Lewis was sooo wide open. He is a gunslinger but that means half the time he makes up his mind on where he's gonna go no matter the coverage. If he has Arob with single coverage and a single safety and he can look him off that's one thing(predetermining) but he's got to see the field better.
Quote:If this team is going to make a run for the playoffs this season (and I still find that difficult to type), clearly it will have to play better football than it has thus far.

What you're actually pointing out is, we are actually starting to have a personality on offense.   Something to hang our hat on.   Something that works.  We've become a team that throws the ball down the field a lot and asks our WRs to make plays on the ball.  It's really Bortles and the Allens and then everyone else.  For the past few years, we've had nothing.  No offense at all.   After that, one dimensional is a big step up.   

What you say about Thomas and Lee is true.   If and when they get involved, it will juice up our offense that much more.   Especially Julius Thomas.  One thing Blake needs is someone to check the ball down to, a safety net, because now, he holds the ball too long and persists in throwing it down field even when the play is not there.    Remember when we used to complain about Gabbert checking it down all the time.  Now, I'm complaining about Bortles not checking it down.  There's a balance to be had there. 

But that said, I do like having a QB who will keep dropping back and aggressively throwing the ball 20 yards down field, no matter what happened on the play before.   It's refreshing after what we've had the last 4 or 5 years. 
Don't forget that Rashad Greene will be back starting Thursday.  Lee needs to take advantage of opportunities because he might not get many if Greene plays well. 

Quote:I think Bortles has been doing great, but somewhere he can improve is making that first-read throw. He loves to scan the field, which is good if you have time, but it is causing him to hold on to the ball a second or two too long than the line can handle. This also means he is late throwing on short routes and the line isn't good enough to hold for longer routes. There was a wide open throw to ML to the endzone that he missed which was in his first-read vision and ended up throwing an incompletion to the other side of the field. If he makes that throw as soon as he drops back its a touchdown. I think he lacks confidence for his first-read to be open, but I think that will come when he gets more comfortable with the routes and reading the defense.

That is a real good point about him missing a wide open Marcedes Lewis, which would have been a TD.  I read an interview with Tom Brady one time and he said when he lines up and scans the defense, he usually knows where he's going to throw the ball, and he usually doesn't have to go through "progressions."   When we lined up on that play, I would bet a guy like Brady would have known that, when we snap the ball, if this defender takes just one step in a certain direction, Lewis will be wide open.   I think that takes experience.   Bortles will probably get that in the film room.   He'll get it eventually.  
Quote:What you're actually pointing out is, we are actually starting to have a personality on offense.   Something to hang our hat on.   Something that works.  We've become a team that throws the ball down the field a lot and asks our WRs to make plays on the ball.  It's really Bortles and the Allens and then everyone else.  For the past few years, we've had nothing.  No offense at all.   After that, one dimensional is a big step up.   

What you say about Thomas and Lee is true.   If and when they get involved, it will juice up our offense that much more.   Especially Julius Thomas.  One thing Blake needs is someone to check the ball down to, a safety net, because now, he holds the ball too long and persists in throwing it down field even when the play is not there.    Remember when we used to complain about Gabbert checking it down all the time.  Now, I'm complaining about Bortles not checking it down.  There's a balance to be had there. 

But that said, I do like having a QB who will keep dropping back and aggressively throwing the ball 20 yards down field, no matter what happened on the play before.   It's refreshing after what we've had the last 4 or 5 years. 
He really does play a lot like Roesthlisberger. Remember all those sacks he took a couple of years ago? He was holding the ball way too long, but when he would hit a big play, wow! 
Until the offensive line can stop and move the defensive line BB will struggle. Love Yeldon, but he needs to put some hits on some guys, and i dont mean brushing arms. And until the OL is doing better i wonder if we shouldnt be running a two back offense. Then between Hurns, Robinson, Walters you have potentially one of the best reciever groups in the NFL. If JT decides bring his A game we could just go ahead concede the run and our line. I trust Hurns, Robinson and Walters to win their battles for a ball in the air. And BB needs to get his throws up. Way too many batted balls. To the point of being silly.
Quote:Don't forget that Rashad Greene will be back starting Thursday.  Lee needs to take advantage of opportunities because he might not get many if Greene plays well. 

I'm excited to see Rashad Greene return to the slot as he gives the Jaguars more of a presence in the middle of the field and has an uncanny ability to pick up YAC.

Quote:That is a real good point about him missing a wide open Marcedes Lewis, which would have been a TD.  I read an interview with Tom Brady one time and he said when he lines up and scans the defense, he usually knows where he's going to throw the ball, and he usually doesn't have to go through "progressions."   When we lined up on that play, I would bet a guy like Brady would have known that, when we snap the ball, if this defender takes just one step in a certain direction, Lewis will be wide open.   I think that takes experience.   Bortles will probably get that in the film room.   He'll get it eventually.  

I think he will get it too. Not this year, maybe not next year, but when he does he is going to light it up and be a top 5 QB for a long time. I think that is the final line to cross to be a true franchise QB.
Quote:I'm excited to see Rashad Greene return to the slot as he gives the Jaguars more of a presence in the middle of the field and has an uncanny ability to pick up YAC.

I wonder if he'll be returning punts as well.  Probably, especially with Walters in the concussion program. 
Quote:I'll say this though, Lee did look pretty fast out there. Still love Walters because he's got glue on his hands and I think he still needs to be in the slot.

I like Walters too for the same reason, he's been consistent.  But the glue on his hands was less sticky today, specifically the drop in the EZ that hit him in the hands.
Quote:I like Walters too for the same reason, he's been consistent.  But the glue on his hands was less sticky today, specifically the drop in the EZ that hit him in the hands.
So true. I was so shocked he dropped that ball. Short armed it the whole way.
Quote:Although Blake has to see the field better, on the play where Arob broke up the surefire interception Lewis was sooo wide open. He is a gunslinger but that means half the time he makes up his mind on where he's gonna go no matter the coverage. If he has Arob with single coverage and a single safety and he can look him off that's one thing(predetermining) but he's got to see the field better.
This is absolutely correct.

The offense is making strides, no doubt about it.

But if this offense is going to get to an elite level, Bortles has to see the field better.

I think that will come with more experience.
Bortles remains a very flawed quarterback... But he has improved a ton compared to last year.

If he can make a similar jump to year 3 as he did (from year 1 to 2), the sky is the limit for him and the offense.
I think the lack of running game is due to the bad run blocking of the OL.

Even yesterday Yeldon was hit too many times in the backfield or at the LOS, sometimes surrounded by 3-4 players like there was no blocking at all. Even with that he makes great effort and creates yards whenever possible. I really wish we will have a decent run blocking offense next year, Yeldon really be decisive with that.

It's a fact that once a RB that's not Yeldon gets on the field there's no gain at all or even a loss (DRob yesterday even almost fumbled). 

I wonder why when we get to the red zone Yeldon is often taken off the field, he was given only one try yesterday (when you think about the 4 consecutive tries that were handled to Gerhart that makes you think).

In addition to the lack of running game we really struggle to involve the TEs. I don't know why this is, sometimes it's poor pass protection that doesn't give Blake enough time, other times it's Bortles holding the ball too much or missing the TE wide open (like yesterday with Lewis). 

It's as if the TE and the rest of the team were off timing, even when they are wide open Bortles doesn't see them or we go another way. Julius Thomas being hurt and now out of shape-slow doesn't help.

And to think that in the offseason there was all the talk about us being a running team with lots of involvment by the TEs...and they are 2 of the things we struggle the most with right now.

Quote:What you're actually pointing out is, we are actually starting to have a personality on offense.   Something to hang our hat on.   Something that works.  We've become a team that throws the ball down the field a lot and asks our WRs to make plays on the ball.  It's really Bortles and the Allens and then everyone else.  For the past few years, we've had nothing.  No offense at all.   After that, one dimensional is a big step up.   

That may have been an unintended consequence of my post, but yes, we have something of an offensive identity.

That said, for the remainder of the season, the effectiveness of that identity has a limited shelf life unless the Jaguars can establish some more consistency in the running game.

Given the youth on our roster and our record, a not uncommon reference is to the 1996 playoff run.

If you go back and examine that run, you will see something remarkable.

The first two games of that stretch, from 4-7 to 6-7, the team didn't run the ball particularly well.  The first 11 games that year, the team averaged 115 yards per game.

However, from game 14 to the AFC championship game, here were the rushing totals.

35-114

31-133

32-143

**35-184 vs. Buffalo

**36-203 vs. Denver

**-Denotes playoffs

That was an average of 155 yards per game during that stretch.

Now that 1996 team was very talented and could throw the ball all over the place.

But they didn't start really winning the games that made for the exciting run until they ran the ball more consistently.  But for the running game, I don't think Jacksonville beats either Buffalo or Denver that year.

In fairness, I don't think this team is anywhere near as talented as the 1996 team, and for that matter, I don't think Bradley is anywhere near as good a coach as TC is/was.  But if this team is to have any hope of making a similar run, they will have to improve the running game.
Pages: 1 2