Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions from the Ravens Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The prevailing theory headed into the second half of the season was that the Jaguars schedule contained a bunch of winnable games, beginning with Baltimore today.  Thus far, it has proven true.

My thoughts.

1.  Jason Meyers, I take back what I said after you shanked that 26 yard FG.  Way to redeem yourself for this game.  Still owe us another game winning FG, but good job closing this game out.

2.  I am not one to criticize play calling much, but I didn't care for the play selection in this game.  I thought the team operated too much out of the spread, and runs to the left were nearly non existent.  As aggressively as the Ravens were playing defensively, I would have liked to see more screens to RBs and quck hitting running plays.

3.  I thought Bortles did not have a good game.  Lots of his passes were batted at the LOS, and his holding onto the ball excessively long led to an unnecessary sack and INT.  He was also behind on some key throws to Julius Thomas and Marqise LeeHe did throw two TDs, but missed an easy 3rd TD when he didn't see Marcedes Lewis wide open.  Her also had a near INT dropped on that last drive.  But, the last drive, he did what the team needed to do to get in position to have his face mask twisted.

4.  Once again, I thought the run defense did a good job overall.  However it seems to have come at the expense of pass defense.  The Ravens had repeated success with play action bootlegs to the right.  The Jaguars really didn't shut that down until the end of the game.

5.  Great game by Davon House with 2 INTs and a pass defensed.

6.  Myers' game winning FG and Marshall's recovery of the Ravens' muffed punt notwithstanding, I thought the Special teams once again had a bad bad game.  Way too many return yards allowed.  What is it going to take to get good kick coverage?

7. Way to tough it out Hurns, who had some clutch catches in the game.  Also, a hearty welcome back to the Albino Tiger, who had a drop or two to add to his late catches.

8.  Nice to have an Alualu positive play sighting on the fumble recovery.

9.  Bottom line:  Glad to see the Jaguars pull out one of these close games, even though like in the Buffalo game, they seemed to try hard to give the game away.  Now let's try to put two in a row together this tThursday against the loathsome tacks.

Bottles had a shocker of a game but still got it done when it mattered.Baller.
Positives: 1.House played his best game, although Ravens receivers are pitiful.

2. Hurns just continues to show he is the real deal.

3. Jags played poorly yet still won. Good teams do this; hopefully they are on the verge of becoming this.

4. Yeldon may not have had a great stats day, but he continues to look like a guy they can count on for the future.

5. Myers proved many people wrong, including myself, by kicking such a clutch field goal after shanking a chip shot.

Negatives: 1. Bortles continues to be inconsistent. At times he looks like a potential pro-bowler. Today he was very poor.

2. Lee dropped very catchable balls and needs to start producing, especially if Walters misses time due to concussion issues.

3. Pass rush remains nonexistent. In addition to Fowler, Jags need at least one more off-season pick-up at this position.
Good recap/summary

The offensive line play remains troubling. Running lanes would be nice.

Quote:The prevailing theory headed into the second half of the season was that the Jaguars schedule contained a bunch of winnable games, beginning with Baltimore today.  Thus far, it has proven true.

My thoughts.

1.  Jason Meyers, I take back what I said after you shanked that 26 yard FG.  Way to redeem yourself for this game.  Still owe us another game winning FG, but good job closing this game out.

2.  I am not one to criticize play calling much, but I didn't care for the play selection in this game.  I thought the team operated too much out of the spread, and runs to the left were nearly non existent.  As aggressively as the Ravens were playing defensively, I would have liked to see more screens to RBs and quck hitting running plays.

3.  I thought Bortles did not have a good game.  Lots of his passes were batted at the LOS, and his holding onto the ball excessively long led to an unnecessary sack and INT.  He was also behind on some key throws to Julius Thomas and Marqise LeeHe did throw two TDs, but missed an easy 3rd TD when he didn't see Marcedes Lewis wide open.  Her also had a near INT dropped on that last drive.  But, the last drive, he did what the team needed to do to get in position to have his face mask twisted.

4.  Once again, I thought the run defense did a good job overall.  However it seems to have come at the expense of pass defense.  The Ravens had repeated success with play action bootlegs to the right.  The Jaguars really didn't shut that down until the end of the game.

5.  Great game by Davon House with 2 INTs and a pass defensed.

6.  Myers' game winning FG and Marshall's recovery of the Ravens' muffed punt notwithstanding, I thought the Special teams once again had a bad bad game.  Way too many return yards allowed.  What is it going to take to get good kick coverage?

7. Way to tough it out Hurns, who had some clutch catches in the game.  Also, a hearty welcome back to the Albino Tiger, who had a drop or two to add to his late catches.

8.  Nice to have an Alualu positive play sighting on the fumble recovery.

9.  Bottom line:  Glad to see the Jaguars pull out one of these close games, even though like in the Buffalo game, they seemed to try hard to give the game away.  Now let's try to put two in a row together this tThursday against the loathsome tacks.

All of these inconsistencies indicate to me a failure of the coaching staff to pull it all together.  The team has talent.  The team has spirit.  But they don't have sound management.  
My impression of Jason Myers after the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSr-VWc_7WQ

My main impression is this team is still not good.

Impression 2 is the coaching is still not good.

How we won this game is a mystery.

Quote:What is it going to take to get good kick coverage?

Montell Owens is a free agent  :whistling:
Quote:My main impression is this team is still not good.

Impression 2 is the coaching is still not good.

How we won this game is a mystery.

You must lead a sad life. Good luck with that. The life of an NFL fan is not a good fit for you.
Quote:You must lead a sad life. Good luck with that. The life of an NFL fan is not a good fit for you.

Because I think this team is destined for repeated failure with the current staff?

My opinions don't lead me to a sad life sir.

Excuuuuse me :thumbsup:
Can we get Montel Owens and Kassim Osgood back on special teams? Haha..the line was my biggest concern. Beadles is not good. And when Parnell went out for a play and Sam Young came in he immediately gave up a sack. Not good if anyone goes down. I love Bortles but he threw a lot of high passes. Several of our guys took big shots because they were having to reach up and expose themselves..like the Walters hit.
Four turnovers and numerous stupid penalties by the Ravens. This game was handed to the Jags on a silver platter, and we still came thisclose to losing.

So basically, just as we planned it. Smile

The prevailing thought I had was the ball really bounced right for the Jags,  House's first INT fell gently into his hands and he still almost dropped it.  The fumble bounced right to Alualu.  And the Jags did get key penalty calls on several of their scoring drives, none more important than the face mask on the last play.  That was a classic ending.  Of course, FOX didn't show a single play from the game, just the final score.  They spent about 1.5 seconds on their "report" of the game LOL. 

Jags are still in this thing.  More winnable games coming up.  And win or lose I have to admit the games are entertaining. 

I had read (here mostly...) that the second half of the season was quite favorable for us, and perhaps it is. I fully admit I have been (and to be honest about it, I still am) of the opinion that given very winnable games, the Jags would probably only manage a couple more wins. I didn't think they would best the ravens at Baltimore. However, the ravens proved that if they try hard enough to lose (and boy, they really had to go some to lose to the Jags) they could and did. Nevertheless, it is sound wisdom to 'never look a gift horse in the mouth'; we'll take the W, thank you.

my thoughts on the game:

Jason Myers...

what a love/hate relationship! You redeemed yourself after blowing the field goal; however, you still owe us for what happened in the colts game. I for one think we really, really need to be looking for another kicker. pronto!

The offensive play calling was terribly predictable! Why do we continue to try to run a given type play once it has become obvious that it isn't working??? Gads!

Bortles...

had a bad game; yes, we won, (Yippie!) but BB didn't look too sharp. Of course, some dropped catch-able passes didn't help. But things like holding onto the ball too long and attempting 'desperation throws' (aka-can't see your target, off balance and falling, yet you fling the ball out there anyway) and just asking to turn the ball over.

House...

was actually funny when he got that first interception. I swear, he reminded me of the scene from 'the replacements' when the big Japanese tackle recovers a loose ball and starts running. He actually seemed shocked that he had the ball! I guess our secondary has gotten used to not making interceptions.

Our special teams allowed way, way, way too many yards. What's going on with our special teams?

I was really impressed with how Hurns hung on to the ball in spite of some brutal hits. I also think BB tries to target ARob too much and overlooks other far more open receivers as a result. Not that I blame him for not completely trusting the giraffe.

Yup, winning does feel better than constantly losing! I was actually laughing though at parts of the game as I've never seen two NFL teams both try so hard to give a game away! It was like, 'oh no, we're gonna lose this one' responded to by, 'oh no, this is OUR game to blow, we suck worse than you ever thought about'. And back and forth like that for four quarters until at the end one ravens player decided to take matters into his own hand and attempt to twist BB's head off via the face mask.

So now were 3-6 and the tacks are in town for Thursday night football. I utterly dislike those gaudy yellow/gold uniforms! 

Quote:My impression of Jason Myers after the game:

Hahaha perfect
Quote:All of these inconsistencies indicate to me a failure of the coaching staff to pull it all together.  The team has talent.  The team has spirit.  But they don't have sound management.  

Gus simply has to get better. He and the coaching staff have to figure out how to put BB5 and the offense, especially the TE position, in a better situation to succeed.

I see the other team's WRs and TE's running wide open against the Jags defenders at times, why can't Gus and company find some of those open/easy plays for the Jags?

Other teams use the TE as a serious weapon, why can't Gus do the same thing?

Gus will have to get better for the Jags to have any kind of success going forward.

I know BB5 had a pretty bad day overall, but the coaching staff has to recognize what is happening and have some easy yardage plays for the offense.

I see the opposing team do it all the time, why can't Gus?
Felt great to get a win. I'll take it. The kicker thing is what it is. Lots of good kickers having on and off games this year, looking like garbage one minute, then a messiah. Several turnovers that swung our way this week. Some of then we deserved, some were gifts. Felt great to be on the receiving end of "good luck" for once.

My greatest concern Was the lack of ability to do anything with the turnovers. In my opinion, it was directly related to some poor play calling. We never seemed able to capitalize on getting the ball from a turnover. I think a better team would have made us pay severely for that. But, a win is a win.
No matter how you slice it, it was an exciting win. Somewhat reminiscient of the early Jags years when they'd scratch out a close win. This team is way more competitive than they've been the past two years and the arrow is clearly pointing up. The future's as bright for this team as it is for the team in my avatar. I feel sorry for the fans that don't realize this to be true.
Hendershot,

I echo your closing sentiments.

The case will be a lot more convincing with a win over Tennessee on Thursday night.

Quote:Can we get Montel Owens and Kassim Osgood back on special teams? Haha..the line was my biggest concern. Beadles is not good. And when Parnell went out for a play and Sam Young came in he immediately gave up a sack. Not good if anyone goes down. I love Bortles but he threw a lot of high passes. Several of our guys took big shots because they were having to reach up and expose themselves..like the Walters hit.
1.  Owens and Osgood are probably retired...but still can't be worse on kick coverage than the guys we have now.

2.  Walters is a tough guy, and I'm glad we have him on the team.  Those two hits he took were reminiscent of the hits the Steelers and Raiders of the 1970s used to dish out. I hope he is okay.
Pages: 1 2