Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Rebirth of the Jaguars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm amazed by the negativity on this board sometimes. Topics like 'Jaguars Armageddon'... Are you kidding me? You think this is the end of the world for the Jags??? What we are witnessing here is quite the opposite. We are seeing the emergence of a group of players that can really be a force in this league for the next ten years.

Just consider this from PFF.https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...nfl-teams/

"For the 2014 season, Blake Bortles was the lowest-graded player on the Jags offense (-35.7). Through nine weeks of the 2015 season, Blake Bortles is the highest-graded player on the Jags offense (+9.8).

Bortles has been especially impressive throwing the deep ball as he ranks as the No. 4 passer in PFF’s deep passing accuracy statistic. Finally, Jags fan can be optimistic that they have found a legitimate franchise QB"

If that isn't a reason to be positive I legitimately cannot think of one. What we would have given to be able to say that about a Jags QB! When you factor in the emergence of the other young studs on offense, I can't see why constant negativity abounds on this board!

Of course the last few years have been painful, but, in my opinion the 'blow it up completely and let the rookies play' approach has been justified because it has given these young guys the opportunity to develop into the playmakers we now see.

Are we a good team right now? No. Are we improving? Yes, as evidenced by the amount of close games we are in. Will we continue to improve? With the amount of young players getting experience, you would have to be an idiot to think we won't improve. And what's the next step from losing close games? Winning close games! The future is bright!
ProFootballFocus showing the Jaguars a lot of love as of late...

which is weird since the team is lead by a Head Coach who won only 9 out of 40 games in three years...

Quote:ProFootballFocus showing the Jaguars a lot of love as of late...

which is weird since the team is lead by a Head Coach who won only 9 out of 40 games in three years...

That's probably because they look at things objectively and analytically... And all signs point to a young emerging team that is going to be a beast sooner rather than later...

I somewhat agree with the complaints about coaching, but either way this team is going to continue to develop.
Quote:ProFootballFocus showing the Jaguars a lot of love as of late...

It means Gus has a negative rating as a head coach
Hey, you aren't going to get many supporters. They will say we have a loser's mentality and we accepted mediocrity, but I'm with you. I've watched Jag football for more than a decade and this team looks and feels different. We are getting results. We are looking for potential, we are seeing it.

Blake Bortles is better than Blaine Gabbert.

Allen Hurns is better than Jason Hill

Allen Robinson is better than Mike Thomas

We are seeing young stars. Who are 23/24 years old. Yeldon, Thomas, Linder, and Cann. Defense has Fowler, Colvin, Telvin Smith. We have a long way to go on defense and a ways to go on offense, too. We will have a top 10 pick to add to that much needed talent. And we won't be picking from Grand Valley State. I'm encouraged.
Sure the team has young talent that could potentially grow in the next year or two to elite status, but that won't help this year... and if the HC doesnt start coaching better (despite having talent) they may still lose 3/4 of the games next year too...

I'm encouraged by this team. A couple plays go our way and all of a sudden we are 4-5/5-4 and leading the division. Unfortunately, a young an inexperienced team haven't gotten over the hump yet.

It honestly might be a blessing to be losing these games right now. I can't stand the saying "next year" but I mean if this offense keeps growing and Dave goes all out for defense this offseason, we may be in for a real treat in 2016.

A lot of us are very impatient. This includes me. I like to compare this Jaguar team to a startup company trying to find its way to relevance. Some startups explode right off the bat, but most take time to build into something special, effective, and consistent. They are trying to find their way and I think they will be there soon.
I think a lot of the negativity stems from the fact we've gone 8 seasons since a playoff. After 2007 season we were up and down, then the firing of JDR with the bring in of Mularkey added more time to the drought. Combine that with bad drafting and more bust than boom players, and it's a recipe for disaster. 

Then ownership changed handed, new unis, new GM, new coach, and people like new stuff. And the first season people are willing to give come slack because all the new things need to age and gain experience. Then last year, we picked up a rookie QB and WRs, which the QB wasn't supposed to play anyways, and had a record reflecting that. And people were up and down about it then starting to show signs of impatience. 

Then this year, the expectations started small, a lot of posters expected or would have been satisfied with at least some sign of improvement, I myself would have been ok with 5-11 because that's better than the last few years. I wanted it to be a really competitive 5-11 meaning that most of our losses were really close whereas last year and the year before, we were pretty much getting blown out. 

BUUUUUUUUT, the close games we lost due to mistakes irked people, and then more people, and then more people. Before you know it, more people jumped on the haterwagon, because people in general are mindless and follow the herd. But realistically, think about it. What did you REALLY expect a 2nd year QB, WR, and rookie RB along with no pass rush because we lost that guy early, and a mish mash of young and older players on the defense to do? Seriously? Think about it for a moment. 

You can look at the record all you want, but at the end of the day, if you are really a true and genuine fan, you can see the difference between last year and this year with the games. You can see that it's literally right there. And when we do compile some more wins, we'll still have more work to do on the defense if we want to have a chance to do ANYTHING with the Pats dominating the NFL. I think the offense has the potential to go toe to toe and keep itself in close games, but if you can't stop Brady, then nothing else really matters. 

So my suggestion for the haters, is just relax. Enjoy the development, and trust that the organization will work itself out. Besides, we still got quite a few games, and the easiest strength of schedule in the AFC South. If we get it, great, if not, it's all good. 

Quote:I think a lot of the negativity stems from the fact we've gone 8 seasons since a playoff. After 2007 season we were up and down, then the firing of JDR with the bring in of Mularkey added more time to the drought. Combine that with bad drafting and more bust than boom players, and it's a recipe for disaster.

Then ownership changed handed, new unis, new GM, new coach, and people like new stuff. And the first season people are willing to give come slack because all the new things need to age and gain experience. Then last year, we picked up a rookie QB and WRs, which the QB wasn't supposed to play anyways, and had a record reflecting that. And people were up and down about it then starting to show signs of impatience.

Then this year, the expectations started small, a lot of posters expected or would have been satisfied with at least some sign of improvement, I myself would have been ok with 5-11 because that's better than the last few years. I wanted it to be a really competitive 5-11 meaning that most of our losses were really close whereas last year and the year before, we were pretty much getting blown out.

BUUUUUUUUT, the close games we lost due to mistakes irked people, and then more people, and then more people. Before you know it, more people jumped on the haterwagon, because people in general are mindless and follow the herd. But realistically, think about it. What did you REALLY expect a 2nd year QB, WR, and rookie RB along with no pass rush because we lost that guy early, and a mish mash of young and older players on the defense to do? Seriously? Think about it for a moment.

You can look at the record all you want, but at the end of the day, if you are really a true and genuine fan, you can see the difference between last year and this year with the games. You can see that it's literally right there. And when we do compile some more wins, we'll still have more work to do on the defense if we want to have a chance to do ANYTHING with the Pats dominating the NFL. I think the offense has the potential to go toe to toe and keep itself in close games, but if you can't stop Brady, then nothing else really matters.

So my suggestion for the haters, is just relax. Enjoy the development, and trust that the organization will work itself out. Besides, we still got quite a few games, and the easiest strength of schedule in the AFC South. If we get it, great, if not, it's all good.

Amen.
it's deeply concerning that we're the worst team in the worst conference in the NFL

in gus's 3rd year, against these teams, it should be a cake walk to the playoffs

Good points, nice to hear people speak rationally about the future of this team.

Paksat, in regard to being the worst team... I'm not so sure about that, but you have a fair point. Let's see how it shakes out at the end of the season. You have to realise that fans of the colts, Texans and titans all feel equally frustrated when they look at this division and see a great opportunity to dominate. I get the feeling we are close to being a decent team, and from there we can go on to being a good team. Would you agree at least that the future is looking bright?
Quote: 

You can look at the record all you want, but at the end of the day, if you are really a true and genuine fan, you can see the difference between last year and this year with the games. You can see that it's literally right there.

Great point about the psychology of fans. To be honest this season is progressing just about exactly how most of us saw it - a bunch of close games and several key players showing real improvement. Like you say, frustration is the key word here. It's seeing how close we are, coupled with sloppy mistakes, in a division that is there for the taking... Add it all up and the negativity is understandable. But it helps sometimes to step back and look at the bigger picture, we are definitely going in the right direction.
We need to win some games, that's why you play.  Everyone see's, well most see, the emergence of talent.  The frustration is that wins aren't following.  Winning cures everything.

The team has talent. This is the best roster they have had in a long time. The team has been better but without wins, it doesn't really matter. 

Just win. I don't care about anything else. Go on a winning streak for once.
Quote:Good points, nice to hear people speak rationally about the future of this team.

Paksat, in regard to being the worst team... I'm not so sure about that, but you have a fair point. Let's see how it shakes out at the end of the season. You have to realise that fans of the colts, Texans and titans all feel equally frustrated when they look at this division and see a great opportunity to dominate. I get the feeling we are close to being a decent team, and from there we can go on to being a good team. Would you agree at least that the future is looking bright?
So people claiming Gus is a bad coach are irrational?

There is plenty of talent on this team. That's the problem. All this talent and we can only muster 2 wins? Go around the league and look at rosters worse or equal to our roster and see the wins they have.

Raiders have 4 wins. 49ers have 3..... and they're a train wreck. Bucs have 3. Bears have 3. Skins have 3. Are their rosters better than ours? Whats the difference? Del Rio, Lovie (and i don't even like him), Fox and Gruden.
I didn't think we would put it all together this year.  I was hoping to see roster improvement and that is coming true.  My concerns and loud noise is my lack of faith in the head coach.

Relocating to Dallas has added some perspective and appreciation.  Dez Bryant is melting down big time here.  The fans don't really appreciate Tony Romo yet they do see what him not playing means for the team.  When you look at the age of their offensive roster at the skill positions, I'm doubly excited to be a Jaguars fan.

I think the wins will come but I'm not sure it will be the Gus Bus driver.

Quote:it's deeply concerning that we're the worst team in the worst conference in the NFL

in gus's 3rd year, against these teams, it should be a cake walk to the playoffs
hmmm....

hyperbole....

the Lions look a mess.

worst conference maybe... but we are far from the worst team in the NFL, and I would say we're probably (despite record) the second best team in the AFCS
Quote:hmmm....

hyperbole....

the Lions look a mess.

worst conference maybe... but we are far from the worst team in the NFL, and I would say we're probably (despite record) the second best team in the AFCS
We lost to the Texans. You can speculate all you want but when they have a better record AND they beat us, you can't claim we are better.
Quote:So people claiming Gus is a bad coach are irrational?

There is plenty of talent on this team. That's the problem. All this talent and we can only muster 2 wins? Go around the league and look at rosters worse or equal to our roster and see the wins they have.

Raiders have 4 wins. 49ers have 3..... and they're a train wreck. Bucs have 3. Bears have 3. Skins have 3. Are their rosters better than ours? Whats the difference? Del Rio, Lovie (and i don't even like him), Fox and Gruden.
Most of those rosters were not gutted.

The difference? Solid kicking?

You are talking about a team that was 3rd worst last year.... and a difference of 1 or 2 wins, which could come quickly.

Yes the rosters are better and maybe the coaching.

Definitely the kicking lol

Pages: 1 2 3 4