Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Where is the defense?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Bortles threw for 381 yards and Hurns and A-Rob had over 120 yards each vs. #1 passing defense in the NFL.

Bortles is in 2nd year so turnovers are irrelevant. The real reason the Jags suck is because they have allowed 29.4 points per game. That's the worst in the Jags 20 year history.

Look around the NFL.....statistically, Bortles is outplaying Cam Newton (who has only a 53% completion percentage) and Peyton Manning. The good teams Carolina, Denver, Cincinnati, etc all have a defense.

Jags defense is terrible.

New England has only allowed 17.9 points per game. Tom Brady would be 4-4 in Jacksonville.

Gus Bradley is a joke. He's a defensive mind who has the WORST defense in the Jags 20 year history. If the Jags just had an average defense this year, they would be in the playoffs. Gus HAS TO GO.

Sean McDermott for head coach.

Donald Trump for Head Coach.

Quote:Bortles threw for 381 yards and Hurns and A-Rob had over 120 yards each vs. #1 passing defense in the NFL.

Bortles is in 2nd year so turnovers are irrelevant. The real reason the Jags suck is because they have allowed 29.4 points per game. That's the worst in the Jags 20 year history.

Look around the NFL.....statistically, Bortles is outplaying Cam Newton (who has only a 53% completion percentage) and Peyton Manning. The good teams Carolina, Denver, Cincinnati, etc all have a defense.

Jags defense is terrible.

New England has only allowed 17.9 points per game. Tom Brady would be 4-4 in Jacksonville.

Gus Bradley is a joke. He's a defensive mind who has the WORST defense in the Jags 20 year history. If the Jags just had an average defense this year, they would be in the playoffs. Gus HAS TO GO.

No... they are not irrelevant.  They are VERY relevant.  Turnovers are what cost us this game.  It's not as if the Jets offense ran wild on us.  Ivory couldn't run for more than 3 yards, and the Marshall TD was a terrible call, which was also made possible due to a Turnover.

The answer, unfortunately, is we simply lack a pass rush.  We knew that going into the draft.  Fowler was supposed to be part of the answer, but injuries happen, and we don't really have anyone else to stand up in that role yet.

I hesitate to say it... because the last time I felt this way we ended up with Harvey and Groves... but we're really a Pass Rusher away.

Our DB play isn't phenomenal, but with a respectable pass rush they would be serviceable at the very least.  I'd like to see an improvement made at Safety, though.

So basically, get back Fowler, add an additional Pass Rush threat, and a decent improvement at Safety and our Defense will look significantly better.  We've got some really good pieces in there... we're just missing the most important ones.
Quote:No... they are not irrelevant.  They are VERY relevant.  Turnovers are what cost us this game.  It's not as if the Jets offense ran wild on us.  Ivory couldn't run for more than 3 yards, and the Marshall TD was a terrible call, which was also made possible due to a Turnover.

The answer, unfortunately, is we simply lack a pass rush.  We knew that going into the draft.  Fowler was supposed to be part of the answer, but injuries happen, and we don't really have anyone else to stand up in that role yet.

I hesitate to say it... because the last time I felt this way we ended up with Harvey and Groves... but we're really a Pass Rusher away.

Our DB play isn't phenomenal, but with a respectable pass rush they would be serviceable at the very least.  I'd like to see an improvement made at Safety, though.

So basically, get back Fowler, add an additional Pass Rush threat, and a decent improvement at Safety and our Defense will look significantly better.  We've got some really good pieces in there... we're just missing the most important ones.

Bortles has a 3.2% INT rate this year. Brett Farve was at 4.6% 2nd year. Peyton Manning was at 2.8% 2nd year. We get it; fans want top draft picks to be perfect.

The bottom line is Bortles is playing great this year. If the Jags didn't have him, they would be 0-6. 

This team's defense is terrible. Gus' D has somehow gotten WORSE every season.

Quote:No... they are not irrelevant.  They are VERY relevant.  Turnovers are what cost us this game.  It's not as if the Jets offense ran wild on us.  Ivory couldn't run for more than 3 yards, and the Marshall TD was a terrible call, which was also made possible due to a Turnover.

So if we draft hargreaves, would you be happy with the pick or are you looking for us to draft somebody like Bosa to solid the line? 

There are more than one defensive schemes. Four-man-rush has produced little pass-rush. Keep doing the same thing will not make any difference.
Gus Bradley is a defensive guru?!

51 points to Tom Brady after 3rd quarter?

38 points to Jameis Winston?

31 points to Brian Hoyer?!

28 points to Ryan Fitzpatrick who needs surgery on his hand?!

31 points to EJ Manuel?! 

LOL at jags fans who comment on Bortles 3.2% INT rate. Bortles would need to be PERFECT just to have a chance to win.

The reason the Jags are terrible is because they give up 29.4 ppg. That's worst in 20 years of team.

ya turnovers set up their scores, the PR fumble cost us the game.  I thought the defense played pretty well overall.  The refs made some suspect calls that helped the jets throughout.

Lost me at turnovers are irrelevant.
We had four turnovers yesterday, 2 of which allowed them to score touchdowns only needing about 40 total yards for both touchdowns.

Bortles needs to learn from his mistakes. Holding the ball too long and throwing late over the middle do seem to be his worst habits, and they should easily be fixable.

Get Fowler back. 

Draft another pass rusher in the first two rounds (unless Vernon Hargreaves is available).

Sign a veteran pass rusher -- basically a younger, ascending Chris Clemons.

Add a veteran linebacker who can cover.

Draft Paul P's heir apparent in the middle rounds.

Add more veteran depth to the interior line. Miller is just a guy, and Marks peaked last year and is probably on the decline. 

Quote:So if we draft hargreaves, would you be happy with the pick or are you looking for us to draft somebody like Bosa to solid the line? 

I honestly don't know enough about either player to comment (I don't start really paying attention to college players until the lead up to the draft), but in general I think the need is for another Edge Rusher to compliment Fowler next year, but if Hargreaves in in fact a REALLY strong DB, I wouldn't hate the pick.

Quote:Bortles has a 3.2% INT rate this year. Brett Farve was at 4.6% 2nd year. Peyton Manning was at 2.8% 2nd year. We get it; fans want top draft picks to be perfect.

The bottom line is Bortles is playing great this year. If the Jags didn't have him, they would be 0-6. 

This team's defense is terrible. Gus' D has somehow gotten WORSE every season.

I'm not down on Bortles at all.  I'm just not willing to say that Turnovers are irrelevant because it's his second year.  They are always relevant.  They've directly led to losses this year.  I don't think Bortles is "the problem" but his turnovers are definitely at least relevant.

Quote:There are more than one defensive schemes. Four-man-rush has produced little pass-rush. Keep doing the same thing will not make any difference.

I'm not sure if it's Bradly or Babich or what it is.. but yes... something needs to happen with the pass rush.  It can't all be on Fowler.
Turnovers are irrelevant? Ok.

Yeah,, when your team turns it over 4 times (specifically deep in your own end,, or when your in/near the red zone),, the other team most likely will score points, as your team is stopped from scoring more.

-The defense was really good against the run yesterday(better than good actually).

-The defense stopped the JETS a couple times late in the 4th,, giving the offense a chance. It's not their fault there was a Muffed Punt and INT ceitically late in the game.
Turnovers are irrelevant when you have a gunslinger QB. Most the the "gurus" on this board were saying Teddy Bridgewater was going to be better than Bortles last year. If anyone actually watches QB play, the goal isn't to checkdown 80% of the time. Good QB's turn the ball over; see Peyton, Favre, Marino, Eli, Luck, etc. You want your QB to take shots down the field, not throwing for 6 TDs in 7 games like Teddy. 

You DON'T want your defense to give up 29.4 points per game. Tom Brady, maybe the best QB of all time would be (4-4) with this Jags defense. The INT's are irrelevant. Bortles will continue to improve; he improved ALL 4 years in college. The problem is Gus' defense has gotten WORSE EVERY YEAR.

If Gus had the pieces to work with, we would have the Legion of Boom of the South.  It's not his fault.  "WE BELIEVE IN VICTORY (repeat 100 times)"

This defense just needs pass rushers, a couple of them. We could get by with everyone else on the D, but that's where the problem is. I don't think it's the scheme. There's a reason we took a pass rusher with our #1 pick, too bad he's not playing. 

Quote:Turnovers are irrelevant when you have a gunslinger QB. Most the the "gurus" on this board were saying Teddy Bridgewater was going to be better than Bortles last year. If anyone actually watches QB play, the goal isn't to checkdown 80% of the time. Good QB's turn the ball over; see Peyton, Favre, Marino, Eli, Luck, etc. You want your QB to take shots down the field, not throwing for 6 TDs in 7 games like Teddy.

You DON'T want your defense to give up 29.4 points per game. Tom Brady, maybe the best QB of all time would be (4-4) with this Jags defense. The INT's are irrelevant. Bortles will continue to improve; he improved ALL 4 years in college. The problem is Gus' defense has gotten WORSE EVERY YEAR.

Turnovers are never irrelevant man. I'm pretty sure that turnovers:

-Give the other team the ball

-Stop your team's chance at scoring

What do you think BB would say if You asked him about turnovers? I'm definitely positive he would not think they're "irrelevant" or say "Well, I'm a gunslinger, so I expect to turn it over,, no big deal."

C'mom man,, you know better than that.

Also, that 29.4 points per game sounds like it is what the while team has given up this year. There has been at least 28 points given up that had NOTHING to do with the Defense.

Bortles has thrown pick 6's.

Grant gave up a fumble return for TD.

That doesn't even take into account the Jags turning it over (yesterday's muffed punt) deep in their own territory, giving the defense a short field to defend.

Look,, the defense needs huge improvement,, no doubt. But, to think that every loss and every point scored against the Jags is their fault, is disingenuous.

Bortles is a very good QB. But, to act like he doesn't make mistakes (sometimes costly mistakes) that contributes to a losing effort is just denial. Denial to see reality.

**Do you remember all those games early this season where the offense couldn't do much of anything? Did you not read all the "Why Can't the Jags Score in the 2nd Half" type of threads.

This team's problems are not solely on the defense. Not by a long shot.
The defense held NY to 290 total yards.  That's a fantastic effort.  This one was lost on turnovers, no brainer.

Quote:The defense held NY to 290 total yards.  That's a fantastic effort.  This one was lost on turnovers, no brainer.

Not to mention that 14 of New York's points were scored off turnovers.
Pages: 1 2 3