Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Interesting Observation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I find it interesting when I read people's comments on here regarding beating the so-called "bottom feeders".

Right now here is the "state of the NFL" at the mid-point of the season.

There are 11 teams that are currently above .500.

There are 17 teams that are currently below .500*.

There are 3 teams that are currently at .500*.

*  That could change in the unlikely event that the Colts beat the Panthers tonight.

So through 7 and in some cases 8 games through the season, only 1/3rd of the league has a winning record.  The rest are even or have a losing record.  Let's take a look at it as it relates to the Jaguars.

Week 1 Carolina @ Jacksonville - 20-10

Many thought that this could have been a "winnable" game, and after the game was played many thought that it was a "should have won" game.  Carolina is one of the 11 teams above .500 and also one of the few remaining teams that are undefeated. 6-0

Week 2 Miami @ Jacksonville

Many thought that there was no way that we win this game, yet the Jaguars pulled off the win.  The Dolphins went on to win in a very convincing manner against the Texans and the Titans.  Add their win against the Redskins and they now sit at 3-4 and look to be a decent team.

Week 3 Jacksonville @ New England

There was really not a lot of hope that this could be a win for the Jaguars, and it was justified.  They are currently still undefeated and there is talk about another "perfect season" with them not losing a game.  (I don't buy it.  Someone will beat them). 7-0

Week 4 Jacksonville @ Indianapolis

There was hope that this could be a win for the Jaguars, especially since the Colts were without Andrew Luck.  If not for missed field goals that would have been the case, but alas, IND still pulled off the win.  So far their only wins are against the AFC South, and they are in the below .500 crowd regardless of the outcome of tonight's game.  Indianapolis sits at 3-4 (probably 3-5 after tonight's game).

Week 5 Jacksonville @ Tampa

This was a game penciled in by many as a "should win" with Tampa's bad record last year, in a rebuild, new head coach and new rookie QB.  I would even go so far as to say that it should have been won myself.  However, consider this.  A team that is perceived as being "bad" or an "easy win" just beat one of the few undefeated teams in their own house.  That takes a little bit of the sting off of this loss.  Tampa Bay sits at 3-4.

Week 5 Houston @ Jaguars

Again, this was a "should win" game of sorts, especially with Houston's QB issues.  This is also a "should have won game", but as the saying goes "any given Sunday".  This game is the one huge "black mark" on the season so far.  Houston sits at 3-5.

Week 6 Buffalo @ Jaguars *

This game gets an asterisk because while technically it was a home game, it was played in London.  I don't think that many people expected the Jaguars to win that one, but win they did.  It was just what the team needed heading into their bye week.  Buffalo sits at 3-4.

I guess my point is, so far the team has played against so-called "bottom feeders" while having that title given to them.  2 of the teams that the Jaguars have played are still undefeated* while the others have had respectable performances against other good teams.  In the NFL there is a fine line between "good" teams and "bad" teams.  The line isn't so fine when looking at "average teams" vs. the "great teams".  I see what is happening with the team, and they are becoming one of the "good teams" right in front of our eyes this season.  They will be one of the "great teams" in the future.

As the weeks go on, I would bet that the numbers of teams above .500 starts to increase while the number of teams below .500 starts to decrease.

Quote:As the weeks go on, I would bet that the numbers of teams above .500 starts to increase while the number of teams below .500 starts to decrease.
Well, that is how a normal distribution tends to work Tongue
9-30
Quote:I find it interesting when I read people's comments on here regarding beating the so-called "bottom feeders".

Right now here is the "state of the NFL" at the mid-point of the season.

*  That could change in the unlikely event that the Colts beat the Panthers tonight.

So through 7 and in some cases 8 games through the season, only 1/3rd of the league has a winning record.  The rest are even or have a losing record.  Let's take a look at it as it relates to the Jaguars.

Week 1 Carolina @ Jacksonville - 20-10

Many thought that this could have been a "winnable" game, and after the game was played many thought that it was a "should have won" game.  Carolina is one of the 11 teams above .500 and also one of the few remaining teams that are undefeated. 6-0

Week 2 Miami @ Jacksonville

Many thought that there was no way that we win this game, yet the Jaguars pulled off the win.  The Dolphins went on to win in a very convincing manner against the Texans and the Titans.  Add their win against the Redskins and they now sit at 3-4 and look to be a decent team.

Week 3 Jacksonville @ New England

There was really not a lot of hope that this could be a win for the Jaguars, and it was justified.  They are currently still undefeated and there is talk about another "perfect season" with them not losing a game.  (I don't buy it.  Someone will beat them). 7-0

Week 4 Jacksonville @ Indianapolis

There was hope that this could be a win for the Jaguars, especially since the Colts were without Andrew Luck.  If not for missed field goals that would have been the case, but alas, IND still pulled off the win.  So far their only wins are against the AFC South, and they are in the below .500 crowd regardless of the outcome of tonight's game.  Indianapolis sits at 3-4 (probably 3-5 after tonight's game).

Week 5 Jacksonville @ Tampa

This was a game penciled in by many as a "should win" with Tampa's bad record last year, in a rebuild, new head coach and new rookie QB.  I would even go so far as to say that it should have been won myself.  However, consider this.  A team that is perceived as being "bad" or an "easy win" just beat one of the few undefeated teams in their own house.  That takes a little bit of the sting off of this loss.  Tampa Bay sits at 3-4.

Week 5 Houston @ Jaguars

Again, this was a "should win" game of sorts, especially with Houston's QB issues.  This is also a "should have won game", but as the saying goes "any given Sunday".  This game is the one huge "black mark" on the season so far.  Houston sits at 3-5.

Week 6 Buffalo @ Jaguars *

This game gets an asterisk because while technically it was a home game, it was played in London.  I don't think that many people expected the Jaguars to win that one, but win they did.  It was just what the team needed heading into their bye week.  Buffalo sits at 3-4.

I guess my point is, so far the team has played against so-called "bottom feeders" while having that title given to them.  2 of the teams that the Jaguars have played are still undefeated* while the others have had respectable performances against other good teams.  In the NFL there is a fine line between "good" teams and "bad" teams.  The line isn't so fine when looking at "average teams" vs. the "great teams".  I see what is happening with the team, and they are becoming one of the "good teams" right in front of our eyes this season.  They will be one of the "great teams" in the future.

As the weeks go on, I would bet that the numbers of teams above .500 starts to increase while the number of teams below .500 starts to decrease.
Great post.   Although logic and reason doesn't tend to go over well here, unless it is geared towards more of the negative.
I'd be willing to bet that by the end of the year, the league as a whole will be right around .500......
Miami also looked like crap due to their head coach, which is probably the only reason we won.  Since they've fired him, they've looked solid.

Quote: 

Excellent post, JIB...

I agree with you 100%.  There is indeed a fine line between being a .500 team and not being one.  It's hard to win in the NFL because, as long as your GM isn't named Gene Smith, the talent levels are pretty equal overall, and if you have a respectable QB (which we now do) you're in the hunt to contend for a playoff spot.

To me, and I think the group of posters i tend to agree with, the fine line is coaching.  If your team and players have a coach that is in over thier heads it's gonna be tough for you to get to .500.  We see that here.  On the other hand, if your players have lost the passion to follow thier head coach you have a situation like in Miami or Detroit.  

At any rate, head coaching is huge and it can make the difference from a team being 2-5 and a team being 5-2.
It's funny (not in the 'ha ha' sense) but prior to the season starting I had us winning two games prior to the bi. I had picked Tampa as one of those games, and I figured we'd split with Houston, with us winning at home. As it happens, we did come out on top in two games, just not the one's I had expected. 

I have been pretty negative about the Jags so far this season... I don't apologize for it at all. I haven't gotten a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling about either of our close shave victories because they were against teams who have/had issues which impaired them; and yet, we made them both close games. Except for lack of a competent kicker, we might have been 3-4 right now, but alas...

Anyway... my point is that I think that given the issues that other teams we're facing in the second half of this season currently have, it's possible (dare I even say... probable?!) that we might be able to gain a few more victories... provided we can stay out of our own way for a whole game... which is asking for a lot. 

I tend to define 'a few' as being around three... (I don't know why, I just do). IF we can manage just one more, we would finish the season with the long predicted and much maligned 6-10 record. Prior to Shad's declaration that he has no plans to sack anyone this year, it was a commonly held view here that reaching 6-10 was the 'magic number' for Gus to save his job in J'ville. 6-10 wouldn't help us in the draft, there's no way around that; but it would demonstrate that perhaps... just perhaps... the team actually is on the cusp of 'turning the corner' as it were.

And much to the chagrin of many who've posted on here (including at times your's truly) it may also mean that Gus Bradley's and Dave Caldwell's 'plan' is starting to come together... now that some of the rookies are starting to mature a bit as players. This, of course, all remains to be seen.

It will be interesting to see how the second half of the season pans out.

Yeah. Changing the name from Jaguars to Carp just ain't right.
Nice break down. It gives me some hope
[quote name="JagsFansince1995" post="607546" timestamp="1446503627"]

Great post. Although logic and reason doesn't tend to go over well here, unless it is geared towards more of the negative.[/quote

There was not much logic and reason there.

Saying this team is becoming good in front of our eyes has nothing to do with logic or reason.

We're not as bad as we used to be, but we're still bad. We have a lot of young guys in premium positions, so there is room for optimism though.
Quote:Miami also looked like crap due to their head coach, which is probably the only reason we won.  Since they've fired him, they've looked solid.
They quit on Philbin though, that is why he got fired. I am one of those who think Gus is not even an average coach, but at this point Kahn has clearly stated he isnt even thinking about a change, so saddle up for at least 2016. To the point of the OP... Our only wins were to a fired coach and a hobbled Bills team,  6 or 7 starters out. Also, any team that loses to Matt Hasselbeck the dinosaur QB should be and is considered bad. Now I do feel like we have a lot of talent on offense, and if we can find a pass rush we could be a solid team.
Quote:They quit on Philbin though, that is why he got fired. I am one of those who think Gus is not even an average coach, but at this point Kahn has clearly stated he isnt even thinking about a change, so saddle up for at least 2016. To the point of the OP... Our only wins were to a fired coach and a hobbled Bills team,  6 or 7 starters out. Also, any team that loses to Matt Hasselbeck the dinosaur QB should be and is considered bad. Now I do feel like we have a lot of talent on offense, and if we can find a pass rush we could be a solid team.

To be fair, i think Kahn said he would not be making the decision untill the end of this season.  So there's a chance that Kahn will fire Bradley after week 17. Fingers crossed.
Quote:Nice break down. It gives me some hope

With a better HC, I would actually have some hope.

I have a hard time believing Gus can actually outcoach or outscheme a good team. Other HCs do it to him all the time.

Heck, he has a hard enough time with bad teams and teams with 2nd string Qbs, rookie QBs and 40 year old QBs who haven't played/started in years.

Gus can actually win a game or 2 here and there against a really really bad team, but I want to see him beat a good team with a good HC.

Come on Gus, can you do it?
Good post. What's encouraging is, minus the Pats game, we've not been blown out or looked completely out of our league in any game and been in striking distance in a few. There is reason for hope. We ARE finally competitive and not a gimme
Quote:Good post. What's encouraging is, minus the Pats game, we've not been blown out or looked completely out of our league in any game and been in striking distance in a few. There is reason for hope. We ARE finally competitive and not a gimme

That's exactly the point that I was trying to get across.  Many fans of the game, not just fans of this team are starting to take notice.
Quote:Good post. What's encouraging is, minus the Pats game, we've not been blown out or looked completely out of our league in any game and been in striking distance in a few. There is reason for hope. We ARE finally competitive and not a gimme

Quote:That's exactly the point that I was trying to get across.  Many fans of the game, not just fans of this team are starting to take notice.

And I think that's probably the most frustrating phase for the fanbase to go through. Getting blown out is easy, you get down by three touchdowns before the first beer run and you know what to expect. The game is never really in question, and the flat out superiority of the other squad hides many sins and saintly acts both. The team is trying to figure out how to play at an NFL level.

But now, the team is more talented but instead of learning how to play they have to learn how to win in the NFL, something that is a lot harder to do. While the games have mostly been winnable and the mistakes have been maddening, you can see the progression that is coming along. Thing is, it's almost harder to watch the team struggling to close games out instead of just being demolished week in and week out.

I agree with the both of you, this team really seems to be sooooooo clooooooose to stringing together some wins. But they have to do it. They haven't done it yet.
This. Im so thankful to see we are better. Doesnt mean I have faith in Gus but I do think we have gotten better and have some players in place.
Quote:And I think that's probably the most frustrating phase for the fanbase to go through. Getting blown out is easy, you get down by three touchdowns before the first beer run and you know what to expect. The game is never really in question, and the flat out superiority of the other squad hides many sins and saintly acts both. The team is trying to figure out how to play at an NFL level.

But now, the team is more talented but instead of learning how to play they have to learn how to win in the NFL, something that is a lot harder to do. While the games have mostly been winnable and the mistakes have been maddening, you can see the progression that is coming along. Thing is, it's almost harder to watch the team struggling to close games out instead of just being demolished week in and week out.

I agree with the both of you, this team really seems to be sooooooo clooooooose to stringing together some wins. But they have to do it. They haven't done it yet.
Agreed and the only thing that will help that along is time and experience. It has to be next year. Dave will fix the defense hopefully, maybe add another playmaker on offense and we'll have a QB and WR's moving into that magical 3rd year. 
Quote:Right now here is the "state of the NFL" at the mid-point of the season.

Am I the only one seeing the obvious?
Pages: 1 2