Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Negativity is contagious!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
No matter how the thread starts it goes directly into firing somebody, or who's to blame style finger pointing. The same thing happened with Del Rio, Coughlin, and poor ole' one season Mike. Even with Del Rio succeeding in Oakland fans here still trash him. Let the hate go! Just remember the Pats got Bill because the Browns sent him out of town on a rail and the Jets treated him like garbage. Both of those teams are filled with negative vibes and that's why they are always crap even if they're good. The Pats were also 5-11 in 2000 with a former #1 pick QB a solid pass rush and a decent secondary, started 2001 0-2 and then blew up and won the Super Bowl. We have to change our mindset a little, or maybe a lot. Firing everyone in middle of something is never the answer.

I'll give you another example...

When Reggie Nelson was in Jacksonville, he was even worse than Cyp. He never correct angles, couldn't tackle and rarely if ever made big plays. But if you'd seen Reggie lately he's developed into a very good player. Watching him against the Steelers this past Sunday I couldn't help but think how much better our defense would be if we only kept him. Maybe we should give Cyp some real time to develop into the player we thought we were drafting.

people can only be patient for so long

this ho hum stay positive crap is for losers, ask bradley

Unfortunately the negativity is deserved.

Lol 2 replies in and it's already starting
Quote:I'll give you another example...

When Reggie Nelson was in Jacksonville, he was even worse than Cyp. He never correct angles, couldn't tackle and rarely if ever made big plays. But if you'd seen Reggie lately he's developed into a very good player. Watching him against the Steelers this past Sunday I couldn't help but think how much better our defense would be if we only kept him. Maybe we should give Cyp some real time to develop into the player we thought we were drafting.
That's probably a reflection of coaching - good coaches develop talented players.  
What amuses me is that, though they'll acknowledge our blowing up the roster was a necessity, it was no excuse for back to back losing seasons.... "FIRE EVERYBODY herp derp".... Shut the hell up already.. If you can't see that we're getting better as a whole, you're an idiot. We're getting there... just be patient..

Quote:What amuses me is that, though they'll acknowledge our blowing up the roster was a necessity, it was no excuse for back to back losing seasons.... "FIRE EVERYBODY herp derp".... Shut the hell up already.. If you can't see that we're getting better as a whole, you're an idiot. We're getting there... just be patient..
Actually, the vast majority of posters were willing to accept the past two losing seasons as a necessity and most posters also believe the roster is significantly better (Bortles/Hurns/ARob, T. Smith, Linder, etc.)

People are frustrated because our record could/should be better than it is. The coaching/schemes don't seem to be up to par.  

Do people have a right to complain about the current state of the team?  Of course - they're paying hard-earned money to see the team so they have a right to voice their opinions.  

Personally, I was expecting a 6-10 season and I would not be surprised at all if we end up around that mark.  On a positive note, it looks like our offense is finally "built" but the defense needs a lot of work.  With another solid draft and some prudent free-agent spending this next offseason, I think next year is when we can finally be competing for a division title. 
What gets me is how that one missed FG (two chances for one made FG) in Indy made so much of a difference on how we view this season. 

Make one of those two FGs, and we are on schedule, on our way up, leading the division, all excited about our young team coming together, etc etc etc. 

Belichek would be a special teams coach if Tom Brady wasn't born.
Quote:What gets me is how that one missed FG (two chances for one made FG) in Indy made so much of a difference on how we view this season. 

Make one of those two FGs, and we are on schedule, on our way up, leading the division, all excited about our young team coming together, etc etc etc. 

Not really.  I wouldn't have been any less critical.  We have caught multiple breaks this season (and not capitalized).  Honestly this team isn't talent starved as much this year.  Looking at the teams we have played and how those teams have progressed this year, we are seeing improvement overall.

I will tell you watching Sunday Ticket, I'm noticing how average the NFL is overall.  You can really see the reduction in practice time playing out on the field especially on defense.
* Grabs popcorn

to be fair... this sort of thread is begging for those poop throwers to come out of the woodworks 

Negativity is contagious... (but then again, so is losing) as contagious as any plague.... (fade to scene from 'the natural' in locker room speech from psycho-babble ranting speaker...).

I have a better solution to the hand wringing about fans being negative... why doesn't the team give us something to be positive about... other than being 'positive' the team really sucks most of the time?

Quote:Belichek would be a special teams coach if Tom Brady wasn't born.

Ha.
Quote:Not really.  I wouldn't have been any less critical.  We have caught multiple breaks this season (and not capitalized).  Honestly this team isn't talent starved as much this year.  Looking at the teams we have played and how those teams have progressed this year, we are seeing improvement overall.

I will tell you watching Sunday Ticket, I'm noticing how average the NFL is overall.  You can really see the reduction in practice time playing out on the field especially on defense.

Well, that means you would have been critical of a first place team.   A team that was 3-13 the previous year, and now found itself in first place in its division.   But you would have been critical anyway.   I don't know what to say.   That doesn't make any sense at all to me. 
Having a higher talent level and more experience by the young players doesn't automatically translate into wins.  Winning is a culture just as losing is.  You can't just swap one culture for the other overnight.  You build on success and learn to trust each other.  It's hard to do that when, for instance, the defense plays well, the offense moves the team into position for a winning score, and the FG kicker misses.  That Indy game could have been a team building result but because 1 player didn't do his part, the team took a step backwards.

That's why I think the win against the Bills may be a significant step in the maturity of this team.  They played very well in building a lead, lost the momentum, then made the bad INT which, a month ago, probably would have sealed the loss.  But they responded positively to it, had a very good TD drive, and then the D sealed the win.  These are positives the team can really build on. 

Agreed 200%,Byron
Quote:Well, that means you would have been critical of a first place team.   A team that was 3-13 the previous year, and now found itself in first place in its division.   But you would have been critical anyway.   I don't know what to say.   That doesn't make any sense at all to me. 

Well..   banging on people with negative opinions doesn't make sense to me either.  Discourse, discussion, emotional fervor, venting, frustration and breaking through are all parts of being a fan.  To some, any kinda of criticism is to the determinate of being a good soldier for the team.

I don't subscribe to that in life or my sports watching time.  No participation trophies and rah rah cheer leading.  I stand by my position that this isn't "the year".  This team needs work, time and development.  I'm giving the team time and that is my point of view but I'm not going to rain on anyone's parade that wants to ratchet up some criticism.
And during the bye week...   I thought to myself the Jaguars are better than their record for the first time in about a decade.  That is very significant.  This team is improving and getting there.  I don't know if these coaches can do it but watching the rest of the NFL this weekend, average play abounds.

Pages: 1 2 3 4