Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: it might be early but...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I really think we should lock up hurns and ar-15 sooner than later, cuz when the rookie deals are up were going to probably have to break the bank for one or both. Front load a smaller contract now and take advantage of the unreal ant of cap space we have now.
Quote:I really think we should lock up hurns and ar-15 sooner than later, cuz when the rookie deals are up were going to probably have to break the bank for one or both. Front load a smaller contract now and take advantage of the unreal ant of cap space we have now.
I thought rookie deals couldn't even be restructured until after year three?
way to early for that... Lets see them consistently produce for another year or two (and stay healthy).

agreed... it would be one thing if they were publicly complaining... or something... but as Vic would say WRs are a dime a dozen...

Blake on the other hand I could see locking him up if they hadnt already..

Quote:I thought rookie deals couldn't even be restructured until after year three?

Right. They literally cannot.

Although I *think* the rule is they can't be extended until they have one year left in their rookie contract, which would only apply to first rounders.
If Hurns and Robinson end up being top flight receivers, the least productive one will be traded before we give them top level money.

In a perfect world, neither of them chases the dollars.

I hope they both deserve big bucks down the line but also hope they give us a hometown discount Smile
We have time with ARob, but Hurns signed a shorter deal as an undrafted guy and will probably need an extension in the offseason.

These are 2nd year players you mention. Mike Thomas is a great example of why you don't give 2nd year players an extension, even if it was allowed under the CBA. Players can develop just as much as they can regress or suffer major injury.
Keep 'em hungry.

It's not unethical. It's not screwin 'em over. It's not even unfair. Give the young guys a reason to prove themselves and watch how they flourish. This is an opportunity for the Organization to help them develop a professional level work ethic, so why not take advantage of that? Keep these guys working for that big paycheck and hopefully that work will become a habit.

Keep 'em hungry.

Quote:These are 2nd year players you mention. Mike Thomas is a great example of why you don't give 2nd year players an extension, even if it was allowed under the CBA. Players can develop just as much as they can regress or suffer major injury.

Difference is, Thomas wasn't deserving of his extension.
Quote:way to early for that... Lets see them consistently produce for another year or two (and stay healthy).
Agreed.  Still too early for that talk.
Gotta imagine Hurns will want money. What's an undrafted player make anyway?
They'll get paid somewhere but hopefully it's here. But you are right, there are a few players that we are going to have to pay from that draft class.
Quote:I really think we should lock up hurns and ar-15 sooner than later, cuz when the rookie deals are up were going to probably have to break the bank for one or both. Front load a smaller contract now and take advantage of the unreal ant of cap space we have now.

Welcome back to Jacksonville, Gene Smith. Let's go get Jerry Porter as a mentor for these guys, too.
Well you are right about one thing that I hope caldwell is preparing for. The year you have to re-sign both Bortles and Robinson. OUCH. Depending on cap space, Hurns might be allowed to leave. (Look at how many of Packers' 2nd and 3rd string WR's have left. Its best strategy to keep the best and let the #2 or #3 guy walk to preserve cap or better yet, Trade.)

Nah, lots could happen. Injuries. Set backs. Flash in the pan seasons...

Let em string together the improvement from years 1, 2, and 3....

then talk deals...

Quote:Well you are right about one thing that I hope caldwell is preparing for. The year you have to re-sign both Bortles and Robinson. OUCH. Depending on cap space, Hurns might be allowed to leave. (Look at how many of Packers' 2nd and 3rd string WR's have left. Its best strategy to keep the best and let the #2 or #3 guy walk to preserve cap or better yet, Trade.)
Caldwell seems pretty savvy with this sort of thing.

GB managed to keep Jordy, Cobb, and Bulaga all within a couple years.

Indy signed TY to a new deal, and will be resigning their franchise QB to one as well.

It isn't like we are tight on cash. Bet we let a guy like Lee walk to sign Hurns.

Gotta lock up the core players.... I think BB5, AR15, Burns, Yeldon, Linder, Cann are offensive players we can't let walk.
I'm just glad we have players worth talking about locking up for the future.

Man this team has lacked a WR since Jimmy.
Way too early for that practically speaking, and maybe legally too. These guys have shown flashes... flashes, that's all. Let them prove themselves a little longer anyway before we start worrying about 'locking 'em up'. Now, if in the course of time these guys do prove to be a dynamic tandem... then it's time to pull the checkbook out. 

One of the (few) virtues of going with so many rookies simultaneously during the start of the rebuild was the anticipation that these guys would develop together and really learn to anticipate one another... to develop the chemistry that only comes from having played together for years. To let one of these guys go (assuming they do develop into something worth keeping) to save a buck would be 'penny wise and dollar foolish'. It would be acting contrary to the very plan laid down at the beginning of this 'build'. It would be worth a lot for the quarterback and the key receivers to have played together for years to the point that they were able to anticipate what the other would do. I'm of the understanding that this was one of the very things that helped Joe Montana and Jerry Rice to be so great together; they could anticipate each other! The same can be said of other great quarterback/receiver combos too.

So... I'm in favor of keeping the rookies who prove themselves worthy here together here. They just need to first prove themselves worthy of the investment.

Pages: 1 2