Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blake's Pick Six against Buffalo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just watched the NFL replay of the game on the all 22 coaches version. On Bortles' pick six, Robinson was doing a little in and up route. He made his cut in and was starting his cut up. As he was cutting upfield the defender (cornerback) basically tackled him down. Bortles had already thrown the ball toward the spot that Robinson was supposed to be at. This was another play where he was giving his receiver a shot at a 50:50 ball. However, and again, AFTER he had thrown the ball, Robinson was flat-out tackled and went to the ground. The safety was therre, and with no competition from Robinson, made the easy INT. Terrible call by the refs leading to a pick 6. Not at all a terrible choice by Bortles...Robinson usually wins those. I tried to post a screen shot, but it would appear that I am not allowed to do so. 

Jim

Interceptions are not always the quarterback's fault.  I think there are a lot of us that don't realize this.

I would like to see that play again isolated at half speed. Don't know if its possible, maybe someone can post it.

It was blatant interference. Anyone w ho doesn't think it was does not  understand the rule. So the no-call and the phantom call cancel each other out. We still went out and won the game regardless.

Quote:Interceptions are not always the quarterback's fault. I think there are a lot of us that don't realize this.

Same with the pick-6's...
Quote:I would like to see that play again isolated at half speed. Don't know if its possible, maybe someone can post it.
Yeah, I tried to post it. On the all 22 view, I couldn't get it half speed...but I could pretty much advance it one frame (or so) at a time. It was just clear. He threw the ball before Robinson even made his cut up, and the Robinson was clearly impeded by the defender. Looked like the guy put his right arm over Robinson's left shoulder and neck and pulled him down. The ball was in the air and it certainly should have been PI. If not PI, then it was clearly beyond the thirty yard line...and the ball started on the 19...so even if it wasn't PI, it was an illegal contact. If nothing else it kinda justified the weak PI call in the last drive as a make-up call. 

And to JagFox 1...no doubt, not all ints are on the QB. This one was very obviously not. 

Jim
Quote:Just watched the NFL replay of the game on the all 22 coaches version. On Bortles' pick six, Robinson was doing a little in and up route. He made his cut in and was starting his cut up. As he was cutting upfield the defender (cornerback) basically tackled him down. Bortles had already thrown the ball toward the spot that Robinson was supposed to be at. This was another play where he was giving his receiver a shot at a 50:50 ball. However, and again, AFTER he had thrown the ball, Robinson was flat-out tackled and went to the ground. The safety was therre, and with no competition from Robinson, made the easy INT. Terrible call by the refs leading to a pick 6. Not at all a terrible choice by Bortles...Robinson usually wins those. I tried to post a screen shot, but it would appear that I am not allowed to do so.

Jim

I mentioned this before. But wanted to wait until I saw the replay before commenting further.
Quote:It was blatant interference. Anyone w ho doesn't think it was does not  understand the rule. So the no-call and the phantom call cancel each other out. We still went out and won the game regardless.

It was either PI, defensive holding or illegal contact which all result in yards and a first down.

Why was it not called? The ref must have somehow completely missed it because it was very obvious. I saw it on the very first replay, because I was watching the ball on the actual play.

One more thing, if this EXACT happened same scenerio happened, and it was the Jags on defense making contact with the opposing WR, it would have been called 100% of the time.
A flag should have been thrown for sure. But the safety was right there, Blake felt the pressure and chucked one up into double coverage. Blake makes some terrible throws, we all know this. But with a gunslinger QB you take the good with the bad, and 15 TDs says there has been alot of good. A good coach can reign Blake in a little bit but as we saw with our last QB, you can't coach guts.
Quote:Interceptions are not always the quarterback's fault.  I think there are a lot of us that don't realize this.

That is true, but some player has to have the INT go towards his stats and as of right now, it is the QB.
Quote:A flag should have been thrown for sure. But the safety was right there, Blake felt the pressure and chucked one up into double coverage. Blake makes some terrible throws, we all know this. But with a gunslinger QB you take the good with the bad, and 15 TDs says there has been alot of good. A good coach can reign Blake in a little bit but as we saw with our last QB, you can't coach guts.

Sorry, he did not 'toss it into double coverage'. He's throwing where the receiver was supposed to be. He had gotten past the CB if he had not been pulled down. That puts him one-on-one against the safety and I'll take that matchup every time. Every time.
Quote:Sorry, he did not 'toss it into double coverage'. He's throwing where the receiver was supposed to be. He had gotten past the CB if he had not been pulled down. That puts him one-on-one against the safety and I'll take that matchup every time. Every time.

Sorry, it was a bad throw. The coverage was there and Blake threw it off balance due to the pressure. It floated in the air like a punt. Maybe Robinson comes down with it, he is after all a grown man. But given the situation, it wasn't one of Blake's good throws. It is ok though, he is still young and is not a finished product. I think Blake is a risk taker and we have to live with some stinky plays. Fortunately, Blake is a baller and the good far outweighs the bad at this point.
Quote:Sorry, it was a bad throw. The coverage was there and Blake threw it off balance due to the pressure. It floated in the air like a punt. Maybe Robinson comes down with it, he is after all a grown man. But given the situation, it wasn't one of Blake's good throws. It is ok though, he is still young and is not a finished product. I think Blake is a risk taker and we have to live with some stinky plays. Fortunately, Blake is a baller and the good far outweighs the bad at this point.
I disagree. And we'll never know how bad the throw truly was since Robinson was on the ground.
Quote:I disagree.

That's ok, I can see where you are coming from. I just think he could have made a better decision. Even Blake said he should have changed the play from a double move since the Bills were bringing the heat.
He literally threw that ball up for grabs, it was just a really bad throw regardless if there was PI or not. The ball went straight to the safety, even if Robinson wouldn't have gotten tackled down he probably would not have been able to catch it and stop the INT.
I'm with Rico on this As you watch Bortles' longer passes (and this would have been a 20+ harder) he puts a fair amount of air on the ball and lets his receiver make a play on the ball. Robinson is tall and an amazing jumper, so we see a lot of those sorts of passes. To expand on Rico's point, the CB bit on the in move and if he hadn't tackled Robinson, he would have been out of the play. Jump ball against the safety? Every time! It would have been a good play. And there really (on the all 22) wasn't that much pressure on Bortles. It was clearly a timing throw and probably would have worked.

Jim

Quote:He literally threw that ball up for grabs, it was just a really bad throw regardless if there was PI or not. The ball went straight to the safety, even if Robinson wouldn't have gotten tackled down he probably would not have been able to catch it and stop the INT.

There are times when a QB should throw one up and see if his WR can make a play. Blake does it often and AR15 often comes down with it.

Late in the 4th with a lead is not one of those times lol
Quote:There are times when a QB should throw one up and see if his WR can make a play. Blake does it often and AR15 often comes down with it.

Late in the 4th with a lead is not one of those times lol

Agreed, especially to the middle of the defense where the safety is just waiting.
The refs realized they screwed this call up. The PI on the final drive on the walters play was a make up call for this. IMO, A Rob got tackled. It was no ones fault.

Quote:I'm with Rico on this As you watch Bortles' longer passes (and this would have been a 20+ harder) he puts a fair amount of air on the ball and lets his receiver make a play on the ball. Robinson is tall and an amazing jumper, so we see a lot of those sorts of passes. To expand on Rico's point, the CB bit on the in move and if he hadn't tackled Robinson, he would have been out of the play. Jump ball against the safety? Every time! It would have been a good play. And there really (on the all 22) wasn't that much pressure on Bortles. It was clearly a timing throw and probably would have worked.

Jim

Aside from the interception, I just can't fathom how that penalty wasn't called. It looked downright blatant to me. I also can't believe they didn't show that on replay. And while I'm on that extended rant, I thought the replays sucked. I would love to have seen Joeckel's 'hold' again, because I didn't see much on the one quick view they did show. And on one of Manuel's long passes...can't remember which...the tackle had Odrick around the neck as he was coming around the end.

Whatever. We won.
Pages: 1 2 3