Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From The Bucs Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This was a chance to avoid the cellar in the AFC South and seize the mythical State Championship by sweeping Miami and Tampa, a feat not achieved sine 1998.  We blew it again.

My thoughts...

1.  Bortles had two bad throws the whole game, one on an INT to the left sideline to Marcedes when Robinson was open over the middle.  The other on a second half overthrow where Robinson was open deep.  However, overall, Bortles had the best statistical game of his career throwing four TDs and only one INT.  There's lots of blame for this loss, but it doesn't fall on his shoulders.

2.  If there is a main bad guy to be found, it is the run defense.  Stout all year long, it became a sieve against Tampa Bay, allowing close to 200 yards rushing and 3 TDs.  Yes, missing Poz hurt, but that is far from the only reason.  Guys were blown off the ball.  Outside leverage/contain seemed like a foreign concept.  Cyprien seemed to revert to taking bad angles, blitzing himself out of a long run by Martin.  On top of that, the defense missed on a couple of sacks and those misses led to huge plays by Tampa that flipped the field.  When they needed to get the ball back for the offense down 14, they couldn't stop the Bucs and allowed them to take some 6 minutes off the clock.

3.  That was followed by a very poor showing by the OL-the worst showing since week one.  They gave up 6 sacks today.  Six.  Besides that, they couldn't run the ball very well.  What the heck happened on runs to the left?  There were a couple of tosses to the left that got completely blown up, including the disastrous pitch to Grant that got fumbled, giving Tampa the lead and momentum.  It doesn't get any easier next week, as J.J. Watt and company come to town.  

4.  After having a decent start, missed FGS notwithstanding, special teams reverted to the disastrous form of last year.  Punt coverage took the day off, as Rainey flipped the field 2-3 times.  The team narrowly averted disaster before half when Myers kicked the ball out of bounds.

5.  I thought Hurns, Robinson, Walters all had good games.  Nice to see Thomas finally contribute.  Hopefully we will see more from him in the future.

6.  Bottom line:  another ostensibly winnable game slipped through this team's fingers, and this team is now 1-4 and off to another slow start.  This team has lost low scoring games and shootouts, nailbiters and blowouts.  I suppose it is an improvement of sorts over simply being blown out hte first four weeks last year, but it isn't close to being enough.  We need stronger run blocking, run defense, smarter play on both sides of the ball to turn this around.  Will another draft produce this, better coaching, or simply experience?  I don't know...but this continues to frustrate the faithful.

You're right that this loss isn't on Bortles, but he was missing open guys again and locking on guys. You mentioned the int, another bad one was the failed td throw over the middle, while Robinson was standing alone in the right corner of the end zone. He also had some great players today like the scramble and buying time on the td to Yeldon. The not going through progressions thing though worries me a bit.
Gus is out of his depth. Should go coordinate college
Quote:You're right that this loss isn't on Bortles, but he was missing open guys again and locking on guys. You mentioned the int, another bad one was the failed td throw over the middle, while Robinson was standing alone in the right corner of the end zone. He also had some great players today like the scramble and buying time on the td to Yeldon. The not going through progressions thing though worries me a bit.
He will grow out of that.  If you told me we'd have a QB that still doesn't always go through his progressions and still have a 4-1 TD-INT ratio for the game, I'd take it.

He has looked better this year than any Jaguars QB we've had dating back to Brunell.
It's over.............enough said! Unless you're into pain.........the season can be mailed in right now. It's done!

The worst throws Bortles made were the ones NOT thrown to open receivers. It seems Bortles has begun locking onto a receiver more and more verses working through his reads. Not sure if that is a lack of confidence in the OL, pressure or something else. Plays were there.

Overall another bad performance.Outplayed, out coached, no adjustments. I have to wonder how long an owner can watch this and remain supportive of Bradley.

Quote:He will grow out of that.  If you told me we'd have a QB that still doesn't always go through his progressions and still have a 4-1 TD-INT ratio for the game, I'd take it.

He has looked better this year than any Jaguars QB we've had dating back to Brunell.

I can't argue with that logic.
Quote:He will grow out of that.  If you told me we'd have a QB that still doesn't always go through his progressions and still have a 4-1 TD-INT ratio for the game, I'd take it.

Bortles missed an open AR15 one time...  It happens... QBs sometimes miss their recievers...

The INT in the first half was on Gerhart...  I mentioned this in the game day thread, and I stand by it.  The whiff on the block caused the INT...

If you recorded the game, go back and watch it...   BB5 saw the rushing coming right into his face and made him hurry the throw, in addition, he had to adjust his motion as the rusher was coming right at him.  The whole this was predicated on the fact that BB5 expected Gerhart to at least provide some semblance of a block, which Gerhart didn't do...  The whole INT lies completely on Gerhart.

Now, at the end of the day, the INT will show up as a stat on BB5... But man, that whiff was terrible.  Also, it wasn't really the reason we lost that game...
The only story today is that the defense and special teams got thrashed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers...are you kidding me the Tampa Bay Buccaneers who have the worst Oline in football and a turnover machine at QB

Quote:The worst throws Bortles made were the ones NOT thrown to open receivers. It seems Bortles has begun locking onto a receiver more and more verses working through his reads. Not sure if that is a lack of confidence in the OL, pressure or something else. Plays were there.

Overall another bad performance.Outplayed, out coached, no adjustments. I have to wonder how long an owner can watch this and remain supportive of Bradley.

Sorry man.  You're wrong.  He didn't lock on recievers like you say.  He may have locked on to his first 2 reads a couple times.   And 1 time he didn't recognize single coverage opposite the trips package, but what you just wrote isn't accurate as to how successful BB5 was.

He went through his progressions more times than not.  If you watched any of the tacks game (which I did), you'll see a QB in Mariotta that locks on his first reciever.  BB5 doesn't do that...  
Unreal.  Bortles has an 11-4 TD-INT ratio for the year (almost 3-1), he threw 4 TDs and 1 INT today, was sacked 6 times and people are still throwing him under the bus.

Shaking my head in dismay.

Quote:Unreal.  Bortles has an 11-4 TD-INT ratio for the year (almost 3-1), he threw 4 TDs and 1 INT today, was sacked 6 times and people are still throwing him under the bus.

Some people just like to blame everyone for everything. We're not allowed to praise anyone when we lose. Bortles missed a few guys but overall he had a good game. He threw for 4TD's and 300 yards for crying out loud.
Quote:Unreal.  Bortles has an 11-4 TD-INT ratio for the year (almost 3-1), he threw 4 TDs and 1 INT today, was sacked 6 times and people are still throwing him under the bus.

I agree with this...

Bortles is the LEAST of our worries... He is doing what we expected him to do, in fact, maybe better with the lack of pass blocking (in this game).
Bortles, ARob, Hurns, Yeldon, and Telvin are on track. The rest of the team has been derailed and is currently sinking at the bottom of the St. Johns
Quote:Some people just like to blame everyone for everything. We're not allowed to praise anyone when we lose. Bortles missed a few guys but overall he had a good game. He threw for 4TD's and 300 yards for crying out loud.
He missed Robinson twice on deep passes.

Those are low percentage throws.

He would have had an insane day had he hit those two passes.

As it is, he had a good game despite no help from the defense, running game, or offensive line.
Today: run blocking on the offense was awful. I really felt sorry for Yeldon who really has to make miracles, 90 per cent of the time he's hit as soon as he gets the ball.

Defense was bad all around: incapable of shutting down the running game, allowing the pass game to kill us on critical 3rd downs (absurd 3rd and 15 on their 10 and they coming out of it for 60 yards).

Only upside: Bortles, Robinson, Hurns, Walters and Yeldon (When he had at least a survivable space). Maybe Smith in defense too.

We moved the ball well with the passing game, it just sucked we couldn't run and that every week we make a critical mistake right when it doesn't have to happen (see the Grant fumble today).

Another sad sunday...

What was point 6?

Good catch.  Fixed.

Quote:What was point 6?

It got picked.
Quote:This was a chance to avoid the cellar in the AFC South and seize the mythical State Championship by sweeping Miami and Tampa, a feat not achieved sine 1998. We blew it again.

My thoughts...

1. Bortles had two bad throws the whole game, one on an INT to the left sideline to Marcedes when Robinson was open over the middle. The other on a second half overthrow where Robinson was open deep. However, overall, Bortles had the best statistical game of his career throwing four TDs and only one INT. There's lots of blame for this loss, but it doesn't fall on his shoulders.

2. If there is a main bad guy to be found, it is the run defense. Stout all year long, it became a sieve against Tampa Bay, allowing close to 200 yards rushing and 3 TDs. Yes, missing Poz hurt, but that is far from the only reason. Guys were blown off the ball. Outside leverage/contain seemed like a foreign concept. Cyprien seemed to revert to taking bad angles, blitzing himself out of a long run by Martin. On top of that, the defense missed on a couple of sacks and those misses led to huge plays by Tampa that flipped the field. When they needed to get the ball back for the offense down 14, they couldn't stop the Bucs and allowed them to take some 6 minutes off the clock.

3. That was followed by a very poor showing by the OL-the worst showing since week one. They gave up 6 sacks today. Six. Besides that, they couldn't run the ball very well. What the heck happened on runs to the left? There were a couple of tosses to the left that got completely blown up, including the disastrous pitch to Grant that got fumbled, giving Tampa the lead and momentum. It doesn't get any easier next week, as J.J. Watt and company come to town.

4. After having a decent start, missed FGS notwithstanding, special teams reverted to the disastrous form of last year. Punt coverage took the day off, as Rainey flipped the field 2-3 times. The team narrowly averted disaster before half when Myers kicked the ball out of bounds.

5. I thought Hurns, Robinson, Walters all had good games. Nice to see Thomas finally contribute. Hopefully we will see more from him in the future.

6. Bottom line: another ostensibly winnable game slipped through this team's fingers, and this team is now 1-4 and off to another slow start. This team has lost low scoring games and shootouts, nailbiters and blowouts. I suppose it is an improvement of sorts over simply being blown out hte first four weeks last year, but it isn't close to being enough. We need stronger run blocking, run defense, smarter play on both sides of the ball to turn this around. Will another draft produce this, better coaching, or simply experience? I don't know...but this continues to frustrate the faithful.

When you think about it the difference between 4-1 and 1-4 is the mistakes. We clean those up, even by 50% and we got a pretty decent team.
Pages: 1 2 3