Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Executive Order: Behavioral Experiments on U.S Citizens To Advance Govt Initiatives
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
President Obama has signed a new executive order authorizing Federal agencies to perform behavioral studies on American citizens. The studies, which will be performed without express permission from participants, are designed to advance government initiatives by “nudging” citizens toward certain behaviors and choices.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off...e-american

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2015/09/18/...itiatives/

Yay for psyops and group think.

Quote:President Obama has signed a new executive order authorizing Federal agencies to perform behavioral studies on American citizens. The studies, which will be performed without express permission from participants, are designed to advance government initiatives by “nudging” citizens toward certain behaviors and choices.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off...e-american

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2015/09/18/...itiatives/

Yay for psyops and group think.

Look, you just have to accept that the experts know more about how you should behave than you do. So get with the program comrade.
"Behavioral science." Sounds governmentese for "attempting to use coercion and manipulation to directly control the actions of Americans."

If that link didn't come directly from whitehouse.gov, I'd never have believed you. Reading through it is just scary.

Quote:"Behavioral science." Sounds governmentese for "attempting to use coercion and manipulation to directly control the actions of Americans."

If that link didn't come directly from whitehouse.gov, I'd never have believed you. Reading through it is just scary.

Cass Sunstein is a famous leftist economist who writes frequently about using the power of government to "nudge" the populace into doing what is best for them. You should find and read some of his works on behavioral economics to get the full import of what they do without you ever realizing it.
Quote:Cass Sunstein is a famous leftist economist who writes frequently about using the power of government to "nudge" the populace into doing what is best for them. You should find and read some of his works on behavioral economics to get the full import of what they do without you ever realizing it.
I'll check him out once I'm done with this move. I've already linked the executive order to my Facebook page, and unsurprisingly, a couple of die-hard Obama drones are already defending it as "research to improve how we govern ourselves". Scary stuff.
Cool. Am I going to get a shock everytime I eat a banana or something?

Quote:Cool. Am I going to get a shock everytime I eat a banana or something?
Only if...never mind. CoC lol
Quote:Only if...never mind. CoC lol

Finger wagging at you......trust me, I considered anothe fruit, but thought banana would be funnier.
Quote:Finger wagging at you......trust me, I considered anothe fruit, but thought banana would be funnier.

Post of the week
Quote:Finger wagging at you......trust me, I considered anothe fruit, but thought banana would be funnier.

As opposed to a sliced in half peach?
Quote:As opposed to a sliced in half peach?

I think we're done here.....

>:}
Quote:I think we're done here.....

>:}

LOL, I quoted the wrong post of yours, but I assume the joke was understood.   Smile
*shrug*

Don't friend the White House on facebook.  You'll be OK.

I think you guys are just having another paranoid overreaction.  "Behavioral science" has been used by every government in history.   If you are trying to deter or encourage certain behaviors, you are using a form of "behavioral science."   How can we better encourage people to save money for their retirement?   How can we deter people from committing murder?  How can we get people to eat better?   This is all behavioral science.  

What is actually ridiculous about this White House memo is that they would publish it at all.  Because if they weren't already using behavioral science, then what the heck were they doing? 

Read the memo.   It's actually the most harmless, pointless memo you can read. 

"Let's try some things and see if they work." 

And you guys say, "Oh, my God, Obama is starting behavioral science experiments on the population without their permission!" 

Quote:I think you guys are just having another paranoid overreaction.  "Behavioral science" has been used by every government in history.   If you are trying to deter or encourage certain behaviors, you are using a form of "behavioral science."   How can we better encourage people to save money for their retirement?   How can we deter people from committing murder?  How can we get people to eat better?   This is all behavioral science.  

What is actually ridiculous about this White House memo is that they would publish it at all.  Because if they weren't already using behavioral science, then what the heck were they doing? 

Read the memo.   It's actually the most harmless, pointless memo you can read. 

"Let's try some things and see if they work." 

And you guys say, "Oh, my God, Obama is starting behavioral science experiments on the population without their permission!" 

You don't see the problem with manipulating the human mind to act or react a certain way without permission?
Quote:You don't see the problem with manipulating the human mind to act or react a certain way without permission?

Like advertising on TV? Like your mother trying to get you to eat your vegetables? Like the Jags trying to get you to buy season tickets?

No, I don't.

If someone wants to try to get you to do something, do they ask your permission first?
Quote:Like advertising on TV? Like your mother trying to get you to eat your vegetables? Like the Jags trying to get you to buy season tickets?

No, I don't.

If someone wants to try to get you to do something, do they ask your permission first?

This isn't an advertisement where they are convincing you to buy one brand of tooth paste over another. This is where they manipulate the psyche of your brain to react to certain conditions you would typically oppose. If you don't see the problem with that, or a difference, well then I hope you enjoy having your free will stripped from you.
Quote:This isn't an advertisement where they are convincing you to buy one brand of tooth paste over another. This is where they manipulate the psyche of your brain to react to certain conditions you would typically oppose. If you don't see the problem with that, or a difference, well then I hope you enjoy having your free will stripped from you.
If you don't think this is happening to you already,every minute of every day, by everyone in the entire world who wants you to do anything at all, then you are very naive.

And besides, all this Executive Order is talking about is getting people to save more money for their retirement and stuff like that.

Go back and read the executive order. Quote the part that is making you paranoid. Because I just don't see anything noteworthy in there. (Other then the part about Obama's third term and declaring martial law.) Smile
Quote:If you don't think this is happening to you already,every minute of every day, by everyone in the entire world who wants you to do anything at all, then you are very naive.

And besides, all this Executive Order is talking about is getting people to save more money for their retirement and stuff like that.

Go back and read the executive order. Quote the part that is making you paranoid. Because I just don't see anything noteworthy in there. (Other then the part about Obama's third term and declaring martial law.) Smile

Of course it has happened in the past. Just because it happened in the past without acknowledgement from the government doesn't mean it is suddenly fine and dandy with acknowledgement. The only one who is naive is you if you truly believe the government will only use it to force us to save money for retirement (not that forcing us to save money is an OK thing to do). Keep your head in the sand, its worked out for you so far.

The tax code is a major method the Feds use to control our actions. That's another good reason why we need to get rid of the income tax and switch to a consumption tax.

Pages: 1 2