Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Price Of Essential Pharmaceutical Drug Increases 5,500 Percent Overnight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Price Of Essential Pharmaceutical Drug Increases 5,500 Percent Overnight

The medical community is denouncing an extreme price hike for Daraprim, the brand name for pyrimethamine, a drug that may be essential for some people who have AIDS or cancer.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/health/pr...-overnight

Not really that big of a deal at the moment.

Quote:Not really that big of a deal at the moment.

Why do you say that?
Quote:Why do you say that?

Jib is incapable of criticizing the private sector.
Quote:Jib is incapable of criticizing the private sector.

And probably does not have AIDS
Big pharma abusing US Patent laws. Nothing new here. This is what happens when you elect public servants who are easily bought by lobbying groups.

Quote:Big pharma abusing US Patent laws. Nothing new here. This is what happens when you elect public servants who are easily bought by lobbying groups.
This, pretty much, although I will throw this out there: my wife is on a medication that, on paper, costs our insurance $9,900 per month. We pay $42 for a one-month supply. Those basic, uninsured cash rates are often imaginary numbers that the manufacturer will never see, and are there only to drive the price of what insurance actually pays them for the drug up.
Quote:Why do you say that?

This is an older drug that is seldom used.  It is used to treat people with toxoplasmosis.   Look up the disease and see what the causes are (eating improperly cooked food and cat feces).

The cost increase is used to raise funds for a better alternative.
Quote:Big pharma abusing US Patent laws. Nothing new here. This is what happens when you elect public servants who are easily bought by lobbying groups.

How is that abusing US Patent laws?
Quote:This is an older drug that is seldom used. It is used to treat people with <a class="bbc_url" href='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis'>toxoplasmosis</a>. Look up the disease and see what the causes are (eating improperly cooked food and cat feces).

The cost increase is used to raise funds for a better alternative.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

A quick google search yields the following:

In the United States, as of 2015, with the acquisition of U.S. marketing of Daraprim tablets by Turing Pharmaceuticals, pyrimethamine has become a single-source and specialty pharmacy item, and the cost of pyrimethamine has increased. The cost of a monthly course for a person on 75 mg rose to about $75,000/month, from $13/tablet to $833/tablet, or $750 per tablet per a New York Times report from September 2015. Outpatients can no longer obtain pyrimethamine from their community pharmacy, but only through a single dispensing pharmacy, Walgreens Specialty Pharmacy, and institutions can no longer order from their general wholesaler, but have to set up an account with the Daraprim Direct program.

In India, multiple combinations of this tablet are available for a price ranging from U.S. $0.05–$0.10 each (3–7 rupees).

Where does it say the cost increase is to find alternatives? How does that even make sense to you?

Furthermore:

It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most important medications needed in a basic health system.

It's essential for people with HIV. It's also anti malarial. Bottom line, your characteristic of it is competely wrong.

This is an example of greed. Plain and simple.
Quote:You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

A quick google search yields the following:

In the United States, as of 2015, with the acquisition of U.S. marketing of Daraprim tablets by Turing Pharmaceuticals, pyrimethamine has become a single-source and specialty pharmacy item, and the cost of pyrimethamine has increased. The cost of a monthly course for a person on 75 mg rose to about $75,000/month, from $13/tablet to $833/tablet, or $750 per tablet per a New York Times report from September 2015. Outpatients can no longer obtain pyrimethamine from their community pharmacy, but only through a single dispensing pharmacy, Walgreens Specialty Pharmacy, and institutions can no longer order from their general wholesaler, but have to set up an account with the Daraprim Direct program.

In India, multiple combinations of this tablet are available for a price ranging from U.S. $0.05–$0.10 each (3–7 rupees).

Where does it say the cost increase is to find alternatives? How does that even make sense to you?

Furthermore:

It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most important medications needed in a basic health system.

It's essential for people with HIV. It's also anti malarial. Bottom line, your characteristic of it is competely wrong.

This is an example of greed. Plain and simple.

I'll just leave this article here.  Since you don't like reading anything from FOX News, here is an article from the NY Times.  You might also want to use your google skills to read up on toxoplasmosis.

I'll just quote the NY Times article and highlight the relative points.

Quote: 

Daraprim, known generically as pyrimethamine, is used mainly to treat toxoplasmosis, a parasite infection that can cause serious or even life-threatening problems for babies born to women who become infected during pregnancy, and also for people with compromised immune systems, like AIDS patients and certain cancer patients.

Martin Shkreli, the founder and chief executive of Turing, said that the drug is so rarely used that the impact on the health system would be minuscule and that Turing would use the money it earns to develop better treatments for toxoplasmosis, with fewer side effects.

“This isn’t the greedy drug company trying to gouge patients, it is us trying to stay in business,” Mr. Shkreli said. He said that many patients use the drug for far less than a year and that the price was now more in line with those of other drugs for rare diseases.

Can you explain how this is an "example of greed plain and simple"?
Quote:I'll just leave this article here.  Since you don't like reading anything from FOX News, here is an article from the NY Times.  You might also want to use your google skills to read up on toxoplasmosis.

I'll just quote the NY Times article and highlight the relative points.

Can you explain how this is an "example of greed plain and simple"?

Because CEOs are always liars and liars are always CEOs.
Quote:Because CEOs are always liars and liars are always CEOs.

I suggest you both actually read the ny times article.
Further proof that our health care system is jacked up. This is what happens when you have a capitalist health care system. It doesn't work. And I'm not trying to make this one example bigger than what it is. The whole system is screwed. You realize we have over 700,000 people go bankrupt every year because of health care related bills. That's criminal.
Just because a product is required doesn't mean the maker has to give it away.

Quote:This, pretty much, although I will throw this out there: my wife is on a medication that, on paper, costs our insurance $9,900 per month. We pay $42 for a one-month supply. Those basic, uninsured cash rates are often imaginary numbers that the manufacturer will never see, and are there only to drive the price of what insurance actually pays them for the drug up.

Right, the issue comes to people that don't have insurance.  I have a medicine that I pay $75 a month for, but its about 1500/month without.  Retail locations like Walgreens aren't going to give the uninsured discounts on that.
Quote:Right, the issue comes to people that don't have insurance.  I have a medicine that I pay $75 a month for, but its about 1500/month without.  Retail locations like Walgreens aren't going to give the uninsured discounts on that.

Actually, most manufacturers give significant discounts to those uninsured individuals who pass the means test. You get a card that you take to the retail pharmacy and they process it like insurance.
Quote:Just because a product is required doesn't mean the maker has to give it away.

Nobody said they should
Quote:https://np.reddit.com/r/news/comments/2g...ys_up_the/

the ceo of that company actually responds on there

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/22/controver...sment.html

also shows how nice a guy he is

and this http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/drug...ge-n431926

The great thing for him is now that he has thrust himself into the spotlight, people are going to try and dig up any dirt on him.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7