Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Defensive line
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Last year our best position group was the defensive line. Against Miami it was terrible against the pass. Ryan Tannehill almost always had plenty of time to throw the ball and get a first down. We were not so bad in the past when Andre Branch was out. It was not just Sen'Derrick Marks being out - all of them were usually too slow to get to the quarterback. What was the problem there?

Yes, I do know they made some good plays. I saw everything except the first minute of the third quarter. But the time Tannehill had in the pocket and Miami first downs stand out to me because it happened all day long.

They didn't play badly.  Maybe not great, but its hard to put pressure on a fast quarterback like Tannehill.  You have to shrink the pocket on him in order to get to him, which is a lot more difficult than just getting a clean rush off.  We don't have anyone on the defensive line not named Dante Fowler that can chase down Tannehill.  Even that is a tall task.

The D line did good against the run and outside of the opening drive of the second half played good enough to force Miami to punt the ball 6 times. It wasn't pretty but they got the job done.
They've played 2 of the top 5 fastest starting quarterbacks in the NFL to start the season.  I expect a few sacks against Brady next week.  Maybe a sack on Luck.  The line's coming out party will be week 5 against Jameis Winston and the porous Bucs offensive line.  We may have Marks and Branch back by then as well.

Quote:They've played 2 of the top 5 fastest starting quarterbacks in the NFL to start the season.  I expect a few sacks against Brady next week.  Maybe a sack on Luck.  The line's coming out party will be week 5 against Jameis Winston and the porous Bucs offensive line.  We may have Marks and Branch back by then as well.

I don't think we will sack Tom Brady. The Bills allowed 466 passing yards. Man that would be so sweet.

We need Andre Branch and Sen'Derrick Marks just to have a chance next week.
Quote:Last year our best position group was the defensive line. Against Miami it was terrible against the pass. Ryan Tannehill almost always had plenty of time to throw the ball and get a first down. We were not so bad in the past when Andre Branch was out. It was not just Sen'Derrick Marks being out - all of them were usually too slow to get to the quarterback. What was the problem there?

Yes, I do know they made some good plays. I saw everything except the first minute of the third quarter. But the time Tannehill had in the pocket and Miami first downs stand out to me because it happened all day long.

Gus Bradley's defense which he created under Pete Carol in Seattle is mainly a Cover 3 Zone, some formations include 46 all designed to stop the run first & force teams to beat you with the pass game.

The problem is the Jaguars DBs aren't even in the same league as Seattle's, but Gus has been drafting & coaching them up.

Currently after two weeks into the season the Jaguars are ranked 5th in the league in stopping the run (20th against the pass after that Miami 300+ yards thrown upon - side note - Cyprien was out, house & colvin left the game too & Gratz was injured).   Not to mention that Fowler is out for the season, Branch is injured, Marks remains out, Ziggy is out, basically the team is really injured on Defense the most.

I agree the lack of pass rush combined with no depth at DB is alarming.   It doesnt help that they go against the Patriots whom lead the league with 11 sacks right now & have the 2nd best Offense after 2 weeks (#1 in the pass).

Currently after two games the DL RE Chris Clemons has a sack along with LE Odrick (whom forced a fumble).

They will have to figure out someway to get at Brady this week.
Like I said in another thread I don't wish severe injuries on anybody (you have to feel bad for Tony Romo right now), but I would like our chances of winning more if something like that happened to Tom Brady.

The only way I see us getting to Brady is Andre Branch and Sen'Derrick Marks come back. Jared Odrick can't do it all by himself.

They stepped up pretty big in the 4th quarter. Marks was a big difference maker. He created one on one opportunities for both edges and provided interior pressure on almost every pass attempt. Any QB will tell you that is their biggest problem is pressure up the middle. Sen'Derrick plays the position at a Pro Bowl level and when you lose that it leaves a void no doubt about it.

Quote:Like I said in another thread I don't wish severe injuries on anybody (you have to feel bad for Tony Romo right now), but I would like our chances of winning more if something like that happened to Tom Brady.

The only way I see us getting to Brady is Andre Branch and Sen'Derrick Marks come back. Jared Odrick can't do it all by himself.
Sacking Brady is the least of our worries. We need to completely shut down Gronk, and that's no easy task. The first two teams to play them have said they were going to focus on Gronk and they ended up failing at it. We need to find out why it failed and try to make it work. Gronkowski IS that offense and Brady will make mistakes without him being a factor. We also don't really need a sack, but we need to pressure him to throw it quickly and not sit there all day like Tannehill.
Quote:Like I said in another thread I don't wish severe injuries on anybody (you have to feel bad for Tony Romo right now), but I would like our chances of winning more if something like that happened to Tom Brady.

I dunno last week it was all Chris Clemons this week it was all Odrick if we can get them both going with Bennett maybe getting a pash rush with a 3 tech and Roy Miller with the 1 Tech could be fierce.  Allows the LBs to drop back into zone coverage, but Brady is a beast.

I dont wish injuries on anyone if the Jaguars beat them let be on their own merit and not due to chance.
Quote:Sacking Brady is the least of our worries. We need to completely shut down Gronk, and that's no easy task. The first two teams to play them have said they were going to focus on Gronk and they ended up failing at it. We need to find out why it failed and try to make it work. Gronkowski IS that offense and Brady will make mistakes without him being a factor. We also don't really need a sack, but we need to pressure him to throw it quickly and not sit there all day like Tannehill.

If Tyson Alualu can go out for a catch as a FB why not try M. Lewis as a LB and put him on Gronk? (A terrible idea, meant as a joke).

I think the best plan would be to stick with the Zone 3 Coverage as no one guy on the team really matches up well with Gronk anyways (except Poz but you dont want to lose Poz solely on covering Gronk every down).
When I watched the Patriots play it seemed that Tom Brady at times would lock on to Edelman instead of Gronk on most occasions, and hopefully House can shut down Edelman to where the team could focus more on stopping the Gronk.

Tannehill had all day to throw except for the last 10 minutes. We need Marks back.
The D-line played better than most noticed. Once the have a couple more games under their belts they'll continue to improve. Add Marks and Branch and we have the making of a Very Solid and Stingy D-line...

Time Will Tell...

NH3... 

Odrick has been a SOLID addition to the line. Can't wait to see him and Marks feed off each other. Skuta has been all over the field the past 2 weeks too.
One word, Marks.

One word, Marks.

One word, Marks.

Quote:They didn't play badly.  Maybe not great, but its hard to put pressure on a fast quarterback like Tannehill.  You have to shrink the pocket on him in order to get to him, which is a lot more difficult than just getting a clean rush off.  We don't have anyone on the defensive line not named Dante Fowler that can chase down Tannehill.  Even that is a tall task.
Even when we do get Fowler back, we don't know what kind of impact that injury is going to have on him. He may not have the speed anymore that he showed in college. And as we all know by now, what we see in college doesn't always translate to success in the nfl.
Quote:Tannehill had all day to throw except for the last 10 minutes. We need Marks back.
Very true. Alarmingly true. Frustratingly true.
Pages: 1 2 3