Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: It's funny how fickle we've all become in just a week.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Consider how fickle we've all become in the last week.  Bortles went from hero to goat, and so did Caldwell. Last week, a lot of folks thought there was a good deal of young talent on this team, now most of us complain about the lack of proven playmakers.

If most of us agree that this is a team that will only win 5 to 6 games this year, then we also need to understand that 5-win teams come with a lot of disappointments.  So with a clear mind, this is what I predict.

Lots more disappointments in the beginning of the year as the team learns how to win. More success at the end of the year - enough for the team to learn and build on.

I think, by the end of the year, our starting RB question will be settled. Either D-Rob or Yeldon is gonna be the guy, and we'll be happy with either.

I think, by the end of the year, we're going to have some quality young starters emerging on defense. Sample is one candidate.

Our defense will be better. We'll still need another pass rusher, but I think that with the return of Fowler, we may forgo choosing one in the first round. Ryan Davis or Chris Smith may surprise us.

Bortles needs to calm down. He's got the tools, and his mechanics are improved, but I think he's feeling too much pressure to make something happen. That's exactly what i think happened on the pick-6.  I would rather have incompletions than interceptions.

That's just life in the NFL.

Your team wins- everyone is a hero.

Your team loses- everyone is a goat.

Unfortunately for Jags fans, we already have more then enough goats around here to start a couple of new Zoos, but the goats just keep coming and coming.

That pick 6 was bound to happen. I hate that out route so so much. It almost got picked off a few times in preseason and he struggled doing it last year. Now they think is okay to throw that to the RB for 3 yards? Give me a break!!!

It's going to happen again.
Quote:That pick 6 was bound to happen. I hate that out route so so much. It almost got picked off a few times in preseason and he struggled doing it last year. Now they think is okay to throw that to the RB for 3 yards? Give me a break!!!

It's going to happen again.
Nah, they took that play out of the book lol
We had hope because of the preseason. When it's time to perform on the big stage, they suck. They didn't look good, except for 1 drive. That's it. This offense has big problems.

This is built? Far from.
Fans are gonna fan. 

Perspective and patience is not something many fans will display. Those bragging rights and pride is real when you've talked up how good your squad is gonna be blindly. Most people who really follow the team and know football know this team had a huge hole to get out of and is just not there yet in talent and experience. They are on the upswing though. 

Quote:We had hope because of the preseason. When it's time to perform on the big stage, they suck. They didn't look good, except for 1 drive. That's it. This offense has big problems.

This is built? Far from.

I understand the whole "built" part, but it's more like a startup company that just launched and is trying its best to bring in traffic/followers.
Quote:I understand the whole "built" part, but it's more like a startup company that just launched and is trying its best to bring in traffic/followers.
Best I have ever heard someone describe this roster. The talent is there it just needs a few more pieces and time to work out the kinks. 
It's GOAT, not goat.

I think that also has to do with the fact we have a difficult schedule at the start of the season and most of us were seeing the Panthers (with the injuries they had esp) as the most winnable games among the first 4. 

The ghost of another 0-4 start is right there and that made us overreact more than we would normally have had.

Definitely hoping they'll turn things around soon...

Quote:Best I have ever heard someone describe this roster. The talent is there it just needs a few more pieces and time to work out the kinks.

Yeah. Starting with the quarterback. The functionality of the product.
This board didn't become fickle over the last week. Half of this board has been ready to fire Bradley since the day he was hired.

Quote:Fans are gonna fan. 

Perspective and patience is not something many fans will display. Those bragging rights and pride is real when you've talked up how good your squad is gonna be blindly. Most people who really follow the team and know football know this team had a huge hole to get out of and is just not there yet in talent and experience. They are on the upswing though. 
Especially when we've sucked for a decade. People like you need to understand that it shouldn't take this long to be competitive. We should not be getting creamed by a mediocre Panthers squad.
They didn't play well in week one.  It's time to blow it up.

Removing any logic and common sense from the thought process certainly makes things easier.

Quote:Especially when we've sucked for a decade. People like you need to understand that it shouldn't take this long to be competitive. We should not be getting creamed by a mediocre Panthers squad.
You do realize the people in charge now just got her in 2013? They have no tie to the previous years of suck we have had to endure. This is the process every time a new regime takes over. I'd rather get behind it and hope it pans out rather than stay negative and rejoice when my complaints came true.

It's cool to be critical of bad decisions and moves you don't agree with but Caldwell can't fix all the missed draft picks and free agent signing prior to his arrival. This is the patience and perspective I'm talking about. 

If I was listening to most people here I would think Jack is still here with Byron at the helm with Wayne writing the checks. 

I think fickle is the wrong word... being fickle would be finding something to complain about after we won.

I think what you're seeing is reality setting in after expectations were set too high.

I know that's what I'm experiencing. I over evaluated the squad and coaches based on my hope that improvement was a given at a level they could not meet.

I think the collective bubble of hope burst last Sunday.
Quote:I think fickle is the wrong word... being fickle would be finding something to complain about after we won.

I think what you're seeing is reality setting in after expectations were set too high.

I know that's what I'm experiencing. I over evaluated the squad and coaches based on my hope that improvement was a given at a level they could not meet.

nah he had it right...

changing frequently, especially as regards one's loyalties, interests, or affection:

however.... it isn't after this week... its been forever and always.

Next week, if we win, especially if we were to some how win big... some folks that are on the edge waiting to jump, will be running back to the playoffs or bust bandwagon.

So is the internets.....
I think the word you're looking for is pickle, not fickle.

Time to get pickled.

Quote:I think what you're seeing is reality setting in after expectations were set too high.

A family member once told me the story of sitting next to Mike Ditka on a flight out of New Orleans when he was the Saints coach. As they were talking casually during board and the passengers piled on, almost all of them said something to Da Coach about how great the team was going to be that year, and he smiled and told all of them that the Saints were going to have a great year.

Once the last passenger was on board, he leaned over to my relative and said, "What am I supposed to tell them? We suck."

Teams and coaches are certainly guilty of raising expectations beyond what they know the team is capable of, but again, what are they supposed to tell them? "We suck," isn't a great way to sell season tickets.
Quote:You do realize the people in charge now just got her in 2013? They have no tie to the previous years of suck we have had to endure. This is the process every time a new regime takes over. I'd rather get behind it and hope it pans out rather than stay negative and rejoice when my complaints came true.

It's cool to be critical of bad decisions and moves you don't agree with but Caldwell can't fix all the missed draft picks and free agent signing prior to his arrival. This is the patience and perspective I'm talking about. 

If I was listening to most people here I would think Jack is still here with Byron at the helm with Wayne writing the checks. 
I don't care when they got here. It's still sad that we see no improvement from the past years before they got here. We picked Joeckel, Cyprien and Gratz in the draft. Go back and look at the talent pool in 2013, and just look at all the talent we skipped over. Caldwell did a crappy job year one. There was no reason to clean the roster the way he did and then proceed to miss every pick. And now changing the subject about the mediocre Panthers? We got creamed and we shouldn't have. Where is your apologist excuse for that one?

Pages: 1 2 3