Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Square Peg in a Round Hole?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hear me out for a second: I think we can all agree that a younger roster is more prone to dumb mistakes. With that being said, since the days of JDR this team has been trying to run a plodding offense that scores on 12 play drives. That works for the Patriots and Seahawks because they are very precise, particularly at the quarterback position. This team has so little room for error that this approach doesn't seem like the most efficient way for scoring points. Add that to the fact that Bortles appears far more confident in the hurry up offense (he said so himself), and it feels like we are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I get that coaches have their own "ideal" approaches, but you gotta fit scheme to your players. The run should be balanced with more downfield shots, and this team shouldnt be afraid to run the hurry up before the 2 minute warning on occasion.
I'd be fine with the team running the hurry up more often. Blake seems to play better in that offense.

I agree for far too long it seems we have lacked coordinators that fit the scheme to the talents we have.

I hope we see them run a more quick paced offense going forward.
He plays better that way because when they do use hurry up offense, the defense is in prevent.
Quote:He plays better that way because when they do use hurry up offense, the defense is in prevent.

Fair, but the other advantage to using the hurry up is that defenses don't have time to regroup at all
I always have loved the run and pound game. But seeing our personnel, I think we have a good squad for more of a spread offense. Our two main backs (Yeldon and Drob) have great hands and can make plays in space. Also, I would also like to see us try a faster tempo. We seem to do well in those scenarios and it will keep the defense on their heals. But that's just me...lol

GO JAGS!!

All you're going to do with the hurry up is put your defense on the field more than it needs to be.

Sustained drives are the only way this team is going to be able to start winning games.  You can't put that much pressure on your offense or your defense.  Sustained drives keep your defense fresh, while wearing down your opponent. 

This isn't a square peg/round hole situation at all.  They've got the horses to run the ball effectively.  They simply abandoned that on Sunday.

Quote:Hear me out for a second: I think we can all agree that a younger roster is more prone to dumb mistakes. With that being said, since the days of JDR this team has been trying to run a plodding offense that scores on 12 play drives. That works for the Patriots and Seahawks because they are very precise, particularly at the quarterback position. This team has so little room for error that this approach doesn't seem like the most efficient way for scoring points. Add that to the fact that Bortles appears far more confident in the hurry up offense (he said so himself), and it feels like we are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I get that coaches have their own "ideal" approaches, but you gotta fit scheme to your players. The run should be balanced with more downfield shots, and this team shouldnt be afraid to run the hurry up before the 2 minute warning on occasion.
The Jaguars just drafted a running back at the top of round two, with the intent of him becoming a 20-carry feature back. They're not going to abruptly switch to a run-n-shoot on a team with five backs and four tight ends. The 2015 Jaguars are built for a ball-control power offense, and I think we saw on Saturday what happens when they get away from that.
As mentioned above, long drives can be sustained just fine by us with our run game.  And our run game actually looked good too.

Quote:The Jaguars just drafted a running back at the top of round two, with the intent of him becoming a 20-carry feature back. They're not going to abruptly switch to a run-n-shoot on a team with five backs and four tight ends. The 2015 Jaguars are built for a ball-control power offense, and I think we saw on Saturday what happens when they get away from that.

Exactly.  Square peg, square hole.  They want ball control.  They drafted a guy for that purpose, and went heavy on TEs.  Everything they have focused on with the offense this past off season was intent on running the ball, and when they did so on Sunday, it looked good.  The offense derailed when they gave up on the run in the 2nd half.

Had they stuck with the plan and not reacted like we were 3 scores down, they could have gotten back into that game by pounding Carolina's defense with the run. 

Quote:All you're going to do with the hurry up is put your defense on the field more than it needs to be.

Sustained drives are the only way this team is going to be able to start winning games. You can't put that much pressure on your offense or your defense. Sustained drives keep your defense fresh, while wearing down your opponent.

This isn't a square peg/round hole situation at all. They've got the horses to run the ball effectively. They simply abandoned that on Sunday.

Yes, because peyton manning, tom brady, aaron rodgers, and drew brees NEEEEEEEEVER use the hurry up outside of 2 minutes. Never ever.
Quote:Exactly. Square peg, square hole. They want ball control. They drafted a guy for that purpose, and went heavy on TEs. Everything they have focused on with the offense this past off season was intent on running the ball, and when they did so on Sunday, it looked good. The offense derailed when they gave up on the run in the 2nd half.

Had they stuck with the plan and not reacted like we were 3 scores down, they could have gotten back into that game by pounding Carolina's defense with the run.

I get what they want to do, but they clearly have a quarterback who excels in the no huddle, SO WHY WOULD YOU NOT USE IT MORE? Remember Gus's "we need to figure out what we do best and do more of it" talk? Hence square peg, round hole. All of the best qbs use no huddle a decent amount. Peyton used it in indy, and never worried about if their crap defense was on the field too much (and fyi, this is better than most defenses he ever had).
We run on the opening down of every game, because we want to keep the defense fresh since warming up is too exhausting
Nobody is sayinf run no huddle all the time, but there's really no excuse not to incorporate it a bit more, especially when you have unreliable receivers who are mistake prone. When you're moving slow without a sense of urgency, those drops feel way more deflating
Prisco and Boscelli got into a pretty humorous argument on Bortles playing better when he plays quick last night on the radio.

Quote:Exactly.  Square peg, square hole.  They want ball control.  They drafted a guy for that purpose, and went heavy on TEs.  Everything they have focused on with the offense this past off season was intent on running the ball, and when they did so on Sunday, it looked good.  The offense derailed when they gave up on the run in the 2nd half.

Completely agree, Kuechley goes out and we abandon attacking the middle of their defense.  Our WR's aren't world beaters they need the threat of run to help get open.  a more balanced 30/30 pass run split would have done wonders.
Quote:Prisco and Boscelli got into a pretty humorous argument on Bortles playing better when he plays quick last night on the radio.

Boselli is gonna say whatever the company line is. He has proven that time and time again (Lageman to a lesser extent, but you still get some of that with him). Prisco has also been a bit of a homer in the past, but he got burned on Gabbert and Gene Smith "building the right way", so he now knows better.

I don't know what Boselli was talking about, Prisco is absolutely right based on Bortles' play from last year and this past Sunday. Bortles himself even said he thrives in no huddle for crying out loud. Boselli is always going to take the side of the coaches, but frankly the coaches haven't earned the benefit of the doubt, not at all.
Quote:Nobody is sayinf run no huddle all the time, but there's really no excuse not to incorporate it a bit more, especially when you have unreliable receivers who are mistake prone. When you're moving slow without a sense of urgency, those drops feel way more deflating

So don't take the time to discuss the play in the huddle to make your receivers more reliable?

Ready, Fire, Aim!
Quote:Exactly.  Square peg, square hole.  They want ball control.  They drafted a guy for that purpose, and went heavy on TEs.  Everything they have focused on with the offense this past off season was intent on running the ball, and when they did so on Sunday, it looked good.  The offense derailed when they gave up on the run in the 2nd half.

But if we're doing ball control why not have a fullback? Running out of single back sets isn't going to get it done.
Quote:But if we're doing ball control why not have a fullback? Running out of single back sets isn't going to get it done.

Yeah...  the response would be we have the dynamic TE set instead where the defense can't key on the fullback.  The reality is the defense is compacting the field and jumping the short routes.  We are gift wrapping them down and distance and helping them shrink the field.

I'll give the coaches to 2-8 to show some up arrow but I have the feeling team Groundhog is going to rinse repeat.
Quote:All you're going to do with the hurry up is put your defense on the field more than it needs to be.

Sustained drives are the only way this team is going to be able to start winning games. You can't put that much pressure on your offense or your defense. Sustained drives keep your defense fresh, while wearing down your opponent.

This isn't a square peg/round hole situation at all. They've got the horses to run the ball effectively. They simply abandoned that on Sunday.

And they shouldn't have. We weren't being blown out. That was a mistake. We looked tight on offense. I don't mind running the ball, etc..., but we need to be more aggressive on offense and less predictable.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5