Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gratz ahead of McCray?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is this because of the knee contusion?
Could be, but this one is a bit baffling to me, especially since Gratz was very limited in Preseason. I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Who knows, word is Gratz looked very good in 1 on 1 drills throughout camp. McCray on the other hand, looked horrible against 5th/6th string WRs in the preseason..
I cannot believe I'm about to be "that guy"...  I promised I would never do this, because it just seems crotchety....  Maybe I'm getting old?  

Oh well...  Here goes....

Dude, don't we already have another one of these threads??????

That was somewhat satisfying...

But on topic, @ TexasJag:  I've heard this explaination in the other Gratz thread...  And I think Bradley said something similar. But I wonder...  How much stock would you put on how well one looks in 1v1 drills versus how poorly one plays in a meaningless 4th pre-season game compared to how they looked over an entire season's worth of work from last year?

Quote:I cannot believe I'm about to be "that guy"... I promised I would never do this, because it just seems crotchety.... Maybe I'm getting old?

Oh well... Here goes....

But on topic, @ TexasJag: I've heard this explaination in the other Gratz thread... And I think Bradley said something similar. But I wonder... How much stock would you put on how well one looks in 1v1 drills versus how poorly one plays in a meaningless 4th pre-season game compared to how they looked over an entire season's worth of work from last year?

I wouldn't put too much stock on it since we've seen plwnty of camp heroes do nothing during the season around here, but i trust Bradley. Plus if he looks good covering Hurns and Robinson, i have a little faith. Lol
Quote:I wouldn't put too much stock on it since we've seen plwnty of camp heroes do nothing during the season around here, but i trust Bradley. Plus if he looks good covering Hurns and Robinson, i have a little faith. Lol

That's a fair statement.  I'm with you, we have to put our trust in Bradley and see how this plays out to the benefit of the team.  
Quote:Is this because of the knee contusion?
it was a knee concussion
I was surprised to read about it, but it seems to be a combination of McCray falling off a bit and Gratz playing more consistently.

heres hoping that it's more about Gratz's improvement than mccray's decline.

Either way - this is obviously not chiseled in stone, and we've seen Gus pull Geatz mid -game before when he struggles, so....
[Image: 1834444.jpg]

Quote:[Image: 1834444.jpg]
Blasphemy!

They are either one of the best in the league by their second season or they are a bust and we should start talking about cutting them and replacing them with anyone off waivers because anyone off waivers has to be better than our second year scrub!

Quote:Who knows, word is Gratz looked very good in 1 on 1 drills throughout camp. McCray on the other hand, looked horrible against 5th/6th string WRs in the preseason..

McCray looked horrible??? What games where you watching? It was quite noticeable when he wasn't play because we got torched! Ie Colvin
Quote:Dude, don't we already have another one of these threads??????
No, we have two, but one of them is locked.

Every indication from the coaching staff has been that Gratz just outplayed McCray in camp, and McCray playing the entire fourth preseason game meshes with that explanation much more closely than it would suggest an injury replacement scenario. On the one hand, I remain uncertain of Gratz's ability to, you know, cover. On the other, if McCray is our dime back, what kind of awesome things does that say about the three guys ahead of him?
Quote:McCray looked horrible??? What games where you watching? It was quite noticeable when he wasn't play because we got torched! Ie Colvin

Colvin had one play where he was step by step with the WR and now all of a sudden he got torched all preseason? Where was McCray? Oh thats right, playing the 4th preseason game against 6th stringers and giving up yards.

At the same token second year players can be better or worse. I'm just surprised as most folks that McCray has taken a step back. Playing all of game 4 was a shock to a lot of people.
Quote:Is this because of the knee contusion?
I really really hope so

Still I want to focus on how well, or poorly, Gratz does in coverage both outside and nickel
Quote:I cannot believe I'm about to be "that guy"...  I promised I would never do this, because it just seems crotchety....  Maybe I'm getting old?  

But on topic, @ TexasJag:  I've heard this explaination in the other Gratz thread...  And I think Bradley said something similar. But I wonder...  How much stock would you put on how well one looks in 1v1 drills versus how poorly one plays in a meaningless 4th pre-season game compared to how they looked over an entire season's worth of work from last year?

This thread has its own flavor so I'll refrain from merging the two or locking the other one. However, I felt it best to re-post in this thread the part of the interview where Gus explains his decision...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Q:
That third corner role when Colvin moves inside, are you leaning towards Gratz or McCray there?

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Gus
: Yeah, I would say Gratz. ...We were talking about this as a staff. We really like where he is right now; not only his physical part of the game but his mental part of it. I think he's in a really, really good place right now. He had probably one of the best one-on-one reps I've seen in all of training camp and into this week of practice yesterday. He's just playing at a really confident and high level right now. So, my hope is that he continues that and transfers it over, but he's been very consistent.

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

As for prior entire season's worth of evaluation, you can be sure Gus hasn't forgot about it. As of right now he feels Gratz is playing better, and that's really all there is to it.

Quote:No, we have two, but one of them is locked.

Every indication from the coaching staff has been that Gratz just outplayed McCray in camp, and McCray playing the entire fourth preseason game meshes with that explanation much more closely than it would suggest an injury replacement scenario. On the one hand, I remain uncertain of Gratz's ability to, you know, cover. On the other, if McCray is our dime back, what kind of awesome things does that say about the three guys ahead of him?

Indeed this is the third thread on the topic. However, the first thread which I locked was primary takes from before anyone really knew why this happened. The older takes just seemed out of place and were a bit misleading. Much of them, for instance, were about questioning if Gratz really was moved to third position ahead of McCray. We now have confirmation that this is the case.

Quote:I cannot believe I'm about to be "that guy"...  I promised I would never do this, because it just seems crotchety....  Maybe I'm getting old?  

Dude, you are so old.
Well if performance is the reason, when is another coach gonna be ahead of Gus Bradley? He sucks preseason and regular.

Pages: 1 2 3