Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This Week in the AFC South-Week 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Due to the pleasantly surprising demand/interest, I have decided to return with this series of posts previewing the games played by the division teams, maybe engaging in a little smack in the process, and picking those games.  I readily admit it was fun reading the various perspectives and engaging in the unexpected competitive pick-'em aspect.

Because it is week one and I have a couple of other tasks I need to do, I am starting this early, but after this week, I will try to post it on Thursdays...NLT Saturday by 11 AM.  Because it is so early in the week, I reserve the right to change/revise my picks up until midnight Friday as news/circumstances warrant.  Of course I imagine any other participant is free to exercise the same prerogative.

With this in mind...let's get it started!

Kansas City (0-0) at Houston (0-0)-This is a rare game that features two guys coming off 20+ sack seasons-Kansas City's Justin Houston and Houston's J.J. Watt.  You can bet the blocking schemes will pay these guys a lot of attention.  Kansas City has a good pass rusher opposite Houston in Tamba Hali.  The Texans wanted to do a more dominant version of this dynamic by drafting Jadeveon Clowney #1 overall, but he suffered a knee injury in the Houston Texans' turf that resulted in the dreaded microfracture surgery.  Texans officials have been outwardly confident in their proclamations of his recovery, but many guys who have that procedure done lose their explosiveness and are not the same prior to the surgery.  Clowney isn't the dominant pass rushing prospect without his explosiveness.  Ultimately, I think the game will hinge on the ability of each offense to neutralize the pass rush.  KC has the ability to run the ball effectively with Jamaal Charles, have a decent to good QB an Alex Smith, and a better than anyone they had last year WR in Jeremy Maclin.  The same cannot be said for Houston's offense, where Arian Foster is out with a groin injury, Hoyer is an average to decent QB at best, and Deandre Hopkins is a good young WR prospect, but nowhere near the dominator Andre Johnson was in his prime.  Chiefs 23, Texans 17.

Tacks (0-0) at Tampa Bay (0-0)-A game featuring the top two rookie QBs and top two players selected in this past draft making their official NFL debuts in Tampa's Jameis Winston and Tennessee's Marcus Mariota.  Winston appears to have more surrounding skill position talent to help him with Mike Evans, Vincent Jackson, TE Austin Sefarian Jenkins, who should be difficult matchups against almost any secondary they go against.  However, they had problems protecting Winston in the preseason, and Winston did not perform as well as Mariota.  The difference here will be new Tennessee defensive coordinator Hall of Famer Dick Lebeau, who was a long time coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers.  He has generally given rookie QBs a very hard time over the course of his illustrious career, and has any number of imaginative blitzes lined up against a line struggling to protect that rookie making his first start.  Tacks 21-Bucs 16.

Colts (0-0) at Buffalo (0-0)-This is a classic struggle between offense and defense, as the reigning AFC South champs bring a loaded offense to Buffahole to go up against a loaded defense and Rex Ryan making his debut as Bills head coach.  With a talented and versatile group of targets, the Colts can exploit defenses with size (Andre Johnson and Moncrief) speed (Hilton and Dorsett), and TEs (Fleener and Allen).  Their offensive weakness lays in the trenches, where Buffalo and its array of pass rushers and blitzes will attack as soon as they get off the bus.  The Bills also have a good secondary that excels in man coverage.  The difference is going to be the other matchup-the Bills offense vs, the Colts' defense.  The Bills also have an impressive array of skill positions with McCoy running the ball against a vulnerable Colts run defense, Watkins and Percy Harvin.  But the Bills don't have a guy like Andrew Luck at QB.  Colts 28-Bills 23.

Panthers (0-0) at Jaguars (0-0)-The 1995 expansion teams renew early season acquaintances once again.  Part of me still hates this team and their fans.  Carolina comes to town with a depleted offensive line and receiving corps, but a rock solid defensive front seven against a Jaguars team that by many indicia, looks to be an improved group, especially on the offensive side of the ball.  This game will hinge on whether the Jaguars can muster up enough of a running game to be competent and take some pressure off Bortles.  I think they will.  Jaguars win 24-20.

Last year's record:  Who knows.

This year's record:  0-0 (I'm still in it!!!)

Thanks for doing this again Bullseye.  I enjoyed it last season and look forward to this season.  My picks.

Kansas City @ Houston - Kansas City

Tennessee @ Tampa Bay - This has to be one of the worst (boring) match ups of the season.  On a coin flip I'll take Tampa Bay, but this game can go either way.

Indianapolis @ NY Bills - I'll take the Colts.

Carolina @ Jacksonville - It's hard to gauge right now, but I'll take the Jags.

Last season's record:  Not bad.

This season:  0-0 so far.

Kansas City at Houston: Houston 20-17

Tennessee at Tampa Bay: Tampa Bay 24-10

Indianapolis at Buffalo: Indianapolis 30-21

Carolina at Jacksonville: Jacksonville 17-14

Last season's record: N/A

This season: 0-0

The weekly math gives me a headache, but I'll bite.

KC

Tenn

Indy

Jax
Quote:Thanks for doing this again Bullseye. I enjoyed it last season and look forward to this season. My picks.

Tennessee @ Tampa Bay - This has to be one of the worst (boring) match ups of the season. On a coin flip I'll take Tampa Bay, but this game can go either way.

Last season's record: Not bad.

This season: 0-0 so far.
What's not to like about Jameis and Mariota rematching?
I'll try:

KC

Tampa

Indy

Carolina
I'll give a shot...

Kansas City @ Houston - Chiefs.               This really comes down to the offense and the Chiefs seemed to have made improvements.

Tennessee @ Tampa Bay - tacks.              Battle of the NFL cellar if you ask me, but I see the tacks a bit more "together".

Indianapolis @ NY Bills - Bills.                    Outside of Luck, the so called weapons are part of the Geritol crew! The defense isn't worth mentioning for the colts. Call me crazy, but I think the Bills defense wins them this

game.

Carolina @ Jacksonville - Jags.                  This is hard to gauge right now, but I'm hopeful the emergence of an offense takes some pressure off the defense and allows them to be disruptive. This is a good match-up

with one teams weaknesses match to the others strengths.

Not to brag, but I believe I won last year Tongue

Texans over Chiefs

Colts over Bills

Panthers over Jaguars

Bucs over Titans

I could honestly see any of these games going either way. Tough week 1, IMO.

Current record: 0-0

Chiefs

Bills

Jags

Bucs

Quote:What's not to like about Jameis and Mariota rematching?

This game will be on local TV. I plan on watching it.

I don't expect a great game, but when was the last time you had the #1 and #2 picks in the NFL draft going head to head.

Both teams, and their fans, have to like their chances of winning this game and starting the season off 1-0. It won't mean much for the rest of the season, but 1-0 is 1-0 and is at least tied for first place.
Kansas City over Houston

This game could easily go either way.  But I think Kansas City has a slight edge here.  So I'll go with them.

Tampa Bay over Tennessee

Mariota vs Winston.  I think the buccs might be the more 'complete' team.  

<b>Indianapolis over Buffalo</b>

Buffalo doesn't have the QB to beat a team led by Andrew Luck.

Carolina over Jacksonville

Not ready to trust Jacksonville yet.  They can absolutely pull this off, but I'm not willing to put my faith in them in winning just yet.  They have to prove it first.  I hope I'm wrong though!

Jacksonville over Panthers by 10 -  Home opener plus weak Panther offense.

Houston over K.C. by 1- Tough game to pick. I'll go with Texans defense and home field edge.

Indy over Buffalo by 3 - Can't see Tyrod Taylor winning this game over Luck.

Tampa over Tennesee by 7 - Winston has more weapons than Mariotta.

Thanks for posting!

KC over Houston 24-17

Tacks over Bucs 17-10

Colts over Bills 31-21

Jags over Panthers 17-14

I'm not too worried about the Panthers offensive game except for maybe Cam running for a long or a blown coverage TD. I worry about our o-line and a lack of run game. Joeckel really needs to step up his game and protect Bortles or it could be a long game for us.

Kansas City over Houston, Jamaal Charles is the xfactor here.

Tampa Bay over Tennessee, TB because they are home team lol.

Buffalo over Indianapolis, Bills D keeps them in game, Taylor shines until teams get more tape on him.

Jacksonville over Carolina, I think both teams match up well. Panthers O isn't great against our not great D. Our emerging O against a decent D, but BB5 continues healthy mechanics into first game victory.

Last year= n/a

2015 = 0-0
Quote:Thanks for doing this again Bullseye.  I enjoyed it last season and look forward to this season.  My picks.

Tennessee @ Tampa Bay - This has to be one of the worst (boring) match ups of the season.  On a coin flip I'll take Tampa Bay, but this game can go either way.

Last season's record:  Not bad.

This season:  0-0 so far.

KC @ Texans = I usually would pick home team but Andy Reid's Defense will beat Hoyer.

Titans @ Bucs = Bucs asking a rookie to win his first game on the road doesnt seem likely.

Colts @ Bills = Bills, yeah Colts are expected to win but Rex has a lot of pressure on him to look good and McCoy is a beast!

Panthers @ Jaguars =  Home win first game of the season is really nice, Jaguars for the win!

so to recap Jaguars only team with a win this week in AFC South!

Kansas City @ Houston - I always have a great feeling about an Andy Reid coached team coming off of a bye or the first game of the season. I just imagine him sitting around doodling up new plays and formations and motions and all that stuff. I'll take the Reid special please. Kansas City

Tennessee @ Tampa Bay - I have the same feeling about a Lebeau coached Defense versus a rookie QB as Bullseye does, but that Tennessee team scares me at just how bad they can potentially be. I think Tampa simply has more weapons at their disposal. I'll have some of that home cookin'. Tampa Bay

Indianapolis @ Buffalo - I like Sexy Rex going up against that Indianapolis Offensive Line. Thing is, I do not like asking Tyrod Taylor to win me football games. I'd normally go for the home team here, but I'm thinking that Luck pulls this game out pretty much by himself. Indianapolis

Carolina @ Jacksonville - I got big concerns about the Jacksonville Defense containing and getting Cam Newton to the ground. He doesn't have a lot of weapons at his disposal, but he's probably pretty fresh coming out of camp. I think he's going to have a big day on the ground making plays with his feet. Can Jacksonville score enough to keep up? I'm thinking they can. Jacksonville

Last year's record: is last year's record

This year so far: undefeated!

I think I'll take:

KC over Houston

Tampa over Tennessee

Indy over Buffalo

Jacksonville over Carolina.
 I'll play this year as well.  

Texans win

Titians win  

Colts win 

Jags lose  panthers have made playoffs 2 stright years.

Unforttanttly after week 1 jags will be in cellar by them selves.

All 4 games could easily go the other way.   But I'm in agreement with Snowwolf on his selections:

Houston.

Tennessee

Indianapolis

Carolina

Glad to see you back with the thread, really enjoy it. Got to go with .....

chiefs - horns just don't have it this year

bucs - who knew these two qb would meet again

clots - no question

Jags - send the kittys home hurtin'

Pages: 1 2 3 4