Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Measures of Progress-Long
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The 53 man roster, as of 4pm yesterday, is officially set.  While there may be some minor tinkering at the bottom frays of the roster, the team is what it is.

But what is this team?  Is it better than it was at this point last year?  The general sense coming out of this preseason is yes.  But what are the basis for this feeling of improvement?

The first is the infusion of talent.  Assuming the current ideas of the starting lineup hold true, by my count we will have at least ten (10) new starters from at this point last year.

position----------2014 starter---------2015 starter----------Upgrade y/n?

QB              Henne                   Bortles                       Y

RB              Gerhart                  Yeldon                       ?

RT              Bradfield                Parnell                        Y

C                McClendon            Wisniewski                 Y

LDE            Bryant                    Odrick                         ?

OTTO         Hayes                     Skuta                         ?

Will              Reynolds               Smith                         Y

LCB            Gratz                      House                        ?

RCB            Ball                        Colvin                         Y

FS               Guy                        Brown                        Y

This does not factor in differences due to injury, so TE Julius Thomas isn't listed as a "New starter" because he won't play in the opener this year, even though he is, and Alualu appears to get the start at DT, he is not listed because he would not be the normal starter if Marks were healthy.  Did not mention LEO because I am uncertain if Smith, Davis or Clemons gets the start.

Having dispensed with that caveat, analysis of these position changes shows a likely upgrade in at least six of the ten positions listed above.  Bortles is considered head and shoulders above Henne at QB.  He is bigger, faster, has a better arm, has improved mechanics, and now has a season's worth of experience under his belt.  He has seen fronts, blitzes and coverages he had not seen at this point last year.  Several players, including former Jaguar WR Cecil Shorts, have predicted superstardom for the third overall pick in the 2014 draft.  He is at least trending in that direction now.  Although Henne played well in the first game last year, Henne last year appears to be no match for Bortles this year.  There is similarly no comparison at C and RT.  McClendon was a former 4th round pick of the Colts who was on his 4th team by the time he reached Jacksonville.  He had only played in 6 games total as of week one last year, only starting two.  He only started the opener at C  last year because Bowanko, a lowly rated rookie, was injured.  This year, Wisniewski, a second round choice and 4 year starter in the current offensive scheme, mans the C position.  Parnell, a former basketball player and part time starter at RT for an outstanding Dallas OL last year, is an upgrade over Cam Bradfield, who gave up some 4 sacks by himself of week 2 last year.  He was cut after that game.  While he made some mistakes in special teams, Telvin Smith, who made AFC Defensive player of the week against Cleveland,  is a clear upgrade over LaRoy Reynolds.  Ball, a career journeyman, has been upgraded by Colvin, and Guy, who was cut after a disastrous outing against San Diego, has been upgraded at FS by a faster and rangier Sergio Brown (who may eventually be replaced once Sample gets up to speed).  The other positions in this list may eventually prove to be upgrades, but are inconclusive at this point.  Yeldon only has 8 preseason carries at this point and didn't get much yardage.  He appears to be a better lateral runner than Gerhart, but there is too little information at this point.  Odrick is younger than Bryant was, so he may have more in the tank than Bryant had last year, but he plays a position where he isn't going to put up many numbers.  Skuta may have more pass rushing ability and is more stout at the point of attack than Hayes, but we will have to see with him.  Davon House appears faster than Gratz, but Gratz had decent moments in his career, and House has not been able to stay healthy.  I think it is safe to say from a pure talent standpoint, this is a better team.

The second basis is one I touched on in the analysis above.  This is a more experienced team in key areas than the one that went to Philadelphia. Last year, the top three receivers were all rookies.  This year, Robinson, Hurns, and Lee have all been through training camps and have had a season's worth of experience going up against NFL corners and safeties and reading coverages.  The QBs on this roster now know what those guys' strengths and weaknesses are and have a better idea what they are thinking when they run routes and are presented with certain coverages.  At best. McClendon had two starts at C going into Philly.  If you plugged in Bowanko or Linder instead, they had zero starts.    This year, Wiz has 4 seasons worth of starting at C in this offense.  He knows the protections and the schemes.  Because of this experience, he can better identify fronts and the different challenges each front provides and make the appropriate adjustments than any of those guys before.  Linder now has double digit starts under his belt.  While Henne last year was a more experienced starter than Bortles this year, Bortles NOW has a year's experience under his belt, and added to his superior physical skills and attributes more than compensates for Henne's experiential advantage.  Joeckel now has a season's worth of experience at LT to help him.  There is a similar analysis on the defensive side, where C. Smith, Telvin Smith, now have a year under their belts.  Other guys like Cyprien and Gratz are now in the 3rd year in the scheme.  The kinds of mistakes that happened because of scheme uncertainty that we saw early in the season last year should not be made this year.

Furthermore, this is a demonstrably deeper team than last year.  Last year, our RBs were Gerhart, Robinson (who was still learning the position), and Todman (pedestrian at best and now out of football).  This year we are five deep at the position.  Last year, a guy like Lee or Greene would have started the season.  This year, they are the 3rd and 4th WRs.  Bowanko, an inexperienced starter last year, is experienced depth this year.  We now have a guy like Cann coming off the bench.  Last year, either he would have started as a rookie, and a guy like Pasztor might have been the depth.  Our depth chart in the secondary featured guys like Chris Prosinski, WInston Guy, and Will Blackmon.  If our starting CBs got hurt last year, neither of the backups could be counted on to play competent CB.  Now, we are four deep at CB.  A developmental guy like Marshall, who would have maybe been the 3rd or 4th CB last year (see McCray), is now the 5th guy.  BTW, Marshall has more athletic ability-albeit unrefined-than McCray.  There are other positions not discussed here where we have better quality depth than we have had on the team in quite some time.

Finally, this is a better coached team offensively than at this point last year.  Opening week, Jed Fisch, whom many felt was overmatched as a coordinator, called our plays, and gave us Gerhart on toss sweeps and stretch plays and an ever increasing reluctance to throw downfield (though a lot of that was due to poor talent).  He had never been an NFL level coordinator prior to coming to the Jaguars.  Now we have an experienced Coordinator in Olson who has proven to have successful offenses in the NFL.  Last year, our OL coach was battling cancer, and he could not devote his time to coaching the OL.  Those duties fell to inexperienced Luke Butkus.  This year, Doug Marrone, who was OL coach for the Saints during their ascent to Super Bowl champs, is now our OL coach.  Gone is the emphasis on smaller, quicker OL, and there is more of a power based approach.

Ultimately, this team will have to demonstrate this progress in the regular season W-L record.  But there are legitimate, tangible and intangible reasons for Jaguars fans to view this team as improved compared to this point last year. 

Good work Bullseye.  I just am not sure we are improved enough yet to see it in the win column.

Thanks, Mo.  I'm getting to your concerns.

Holy too long Johns batman. I read/skipped through it. I think your points are valid although to those who follow the team obvious.
Quote:Good work Bullseye. I just am not sure we are improved enough yet to see it in the win column.

Depends on Bortles really. I wouldn't be shocked with 4 wins or 8. It comes down to how he plays.
Progress being made all over the roster.

Still plenty of question marks that will take a while to be answered, but it's not a big leap to say this is a better football team.
I'd say Odrick is an upgrade over Bryant. Bryant was good in his prime but he was obviously tiring quickly here, I liked his character but his body was worn out last year.

Quote:Good work Bullseye.  I just am not sure we are improved enough yet to see it in the win column.
i agree. Good work bullseye.

I think noone knows if it will show in the win column yet...

Thats why we play the game. 

I believe theres a really good chance we win 5 plus games....OR MORE
Very good though difficult to read analysis.   :thumbsup:

Excellent read! Thanks for taking the time to analyze. I agree with what you're saying, but given Gerhart's start last season (even though injured), a warm ham sandwich should be an upgrade. If Yeldon isn't immediately that upgrade, we've got issues.

This looks like a 7-win team to me, at best. I think Bortles alone gives us an extra 3-wins over some of the bottom dwellers that gave us fits last season. I'd take that as significant improvement and something to be proud of.

There is a new foundation for long term success, however, I just don't see a across the board talent level thats enough to get over the .500 hurdle consistently. The competition is greater and the talent seems better, but this team was lacking for so long, getting back to a competitive level is going to be a bear of a task.
Nice post, thanks for taking the time to put it together.

We are definitely more talented and better coached than we were last year.  Looking forward to seeing Gus's philosophy mesh with those elements.  I'm also hoping the addition of Marrone, consultation from the stat guys, and an additional year of experience helps Gus's in-game coaching and management.

Quote:Good work Bullseye.  I just am not sure we are improved enough yet to see it in the win column.

The Jags had better see it in the win column. The team won three games last year and four the season before that. If it can't improve in the win column it's time for Khan to jettison Bradley and Caldwell, because losing 12 or 13 games isn't something that should be expected of any team for three straight seasons under a regime.

The floor on the season just for Bradley to keep his job should be seven wins. Even if the team faces tons of injuries to key positions if he's looking at another top 3 draft pick he needs to be canned. At some point the excuses have to stop and a great coach needs to be sought.
We actually acquired a top-tier FA...   I still can't believe it, Julius Thomas is the real thing.  Maybe the best FA we've ever acquired.

W e   n e e d   m o r e .....

Many of us share the same concerns about this looking like a better team, but being unsure if it will translate into improved wins and losses.

Throughout the offseason and preseason, many posters have suggested that 6-10 is the minimum acceptable floor of wins this team can have and still maintain the current coaching.

So the question is, assuming everything stated in the OP is true, what would it take for this team to reach that 6 win floor?  What has to happen in order for this team to actually manifest progress in your eyes?

To me:

1.  Bortles' progress must be legitimate and continuous.  What we have seen this preseason has been impressive to most of us.  But he impressed us last year too.  He looks like he has a better grasp of offense and defenses.  He seems to be making confident decisions, and not just winging it impressively.  That must continue in the regular season.

2.  This team must stay healthy.  It's been hit with some injuries to key personnel, but none seem particularly devastating or long term, aside from Fowler.  That has to hold up.

3.  Special teams must improve.  A while back, there was a discussion on this board regarding how special teams lost us 2-3 games at least last year.  Obviously this is unacceptable.  This preseason, we didn't see the special teams disasters we saw last regular season.  But it wasn't flawless, either.  Reportedly, there were at least three different times the team lined up with ten on the field.  That can lead to disastrous results.  We also have a new kicker.

4.  The team must mature.  There is a large young nucleus on this team.  These guys-Bortles, AR15, Lee, Hurns, Joeckel, Cyp, T. Smith, C. Smith, Colvin, et al are likely going to develop and improve from year one to year two or from 2 to 3.  These guys must continue to learn how to be professionals.  They must learn how to eat, train, prepare for game day, and adjust.  With more experienced guys on the roster like Thomas and Wiz, they can better learn how to do this.

5.  Just some plain old good luck.

Your thoughts?

Quote:Many of us share the same concerns about this looking like a better team, but being unsure if it will translate into improved wins and losses.

Throughout the offseason and preseason, many posters have suggested that 6-10 is the minimum acceptable floor of wins this team can have and still maintain the current coaching.

So the question is, assuming everything stated in the OP is true, what would it take for this team to reach that 6 win floor?  What has to happen in order for this team to actually manifest progress in your eyes?

To me:

1.  Bortles' progress must be legitimate and continuous.  What we have seen this preseason has been impressive to most of us.  But he impressed us last year too.  He looks like he has a better grasp of offense and defenses.  He seems to be making confident decisions, and not just winging it impressively.  That must continue in the regular season.

2.  This team must stay healthy.  It's been hit with some injuries to key personnel, but none seem particularly devastating or long term, aside from Fowler.  That has to hold up.

3.  Special teams must improve.  A while back, there was a discussion on this board regarding how special teams lost us 2-3 games at least last year.  Obviously this is unacceptable.  This preseason, we didn't see the special teams disasters we saw last regular season.  But it wasn't flawless, either.  Reportedly, there were at least three different times the team lined up with ten on the field.  That can lead to disastrous results.  We also have a new kicker.

4.  The team must mature.  There is a large young nucleus on this team.  These guys-Bortles, AR15, Lee, Hurns, Joeckel, Cyp, T. Smith, C. Smith, Colvin, et al are likely going to develop and improve from year one to year two or from 2 to 3.  These guys must continue to learn how to be professionals.  They must learn how to eat, train, prepare for game day, and adjust.  With more experienced guys on the roster like Thomas and Wiz, they can better learn how to do this.

5.  Just some plain old good luck.

Your thoughts?

1. Agreed on all parts.  What I'm confident about is Bortles looks better.  On top of numbers being better, he looks the part.  His changes are easily seen and not just seen by a few people.  Several national writers/pundits have made comment on Bortles improvements.  By all accounts he is a smart, tough, hardworking young guy with a ton of natural talent and athleticism.  All around he's the most talented QB this team has ever had.  That excites me quite a lot.

2. Once again agreed on all parts.  The team is deeper than it has been in a few years or so it seems that way to me.  That helps.

3. This is true.  Special teams must play better and I expect it to.  It can't be as bad as last year was at times, can it?  

4.  Maturity is important to consider. It goes hand in hand with talent continuing to develop.  There are some talented football players on both sides of the football and they are young.  Bortles, Lee, Hurns, Allen Robinson, Denard, Thomas, Linder, Parnell, Telvin Smith, Aaron Colvin etc.  That is a talented group of players that are young enough to continue to develop and improve.  This teams success this season likely hinges on how big of a step these players take.  Particularly Bortles.

5.  This is a must for most good teams.  
Quote:We actually acquired a top-tier FA...   I still can't believe it, Julius Thomas is the real thing.  Maybe the best FA we've ever acquired.

W e  need  want m o r e .....

FIFY
The Jags will actually show improvement if they can just cut down on all those senseless drops I see from the WRs almost every game.

Come on guys, concentrate and help your young QB out, the ball isn't going to be thrown perfect all the time.

raweyejag

Amen on both but IMO as you pointed out the team has improved through FA and Draft this year but it probably won't translate to a significant increase in wins. However, with each game the team will improve and after the bye week the arrow pointing up should be significantly evident in the play on the field. 8-8 is probably best we can count on unless O side of ball really is able to move against real NFL talent week after week. not just in parts of games. We are going to find out pretty early but I expect us to lose more thn a few early games then the wins will start. Go Jags.

Agreed the drops are annoying and potentially damaging.

Pages: 1 2 3