Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Practice Squad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What 10 players do you see making the Jaguars practice squad?

I'm thinking...

QB Stephen Morris

WR Tony Washington

WR Neal Sterling

TE Ben Koyack

RT Will Corbin

DE Cap Capi

CB Nick Marshall

LB Todd Thomas

S Matt Daniels

...plus one player from the league cut-downs.

Morris, Sterling, Koyack, Capi and Marshall (or Rashaad Reynolds, whoever doesn't win the fifth corner job) are all pretty safe bets if they don't make the team. I don't know that the Jaguars would keep three pass-catchers on the practice squad, and to that end I think that Tony Washington loses his spot to Corey Grant.

Corbin hasn't been around for long, and that practice squad spot could easily go to Chris Reed or a player added after roster cuts. The main argument in favor of keeping Thomas and Daniels would be familiarity with the system, and that's not necessarily a bad reason to stash someone away.

My best guess would assume that Nick Marshall makes the roster over Rashaad Reynolds, and it would look something like this:

QB Stephen Morris

RB Corey Grant

WR Neal Sterling

TE Ben Koyack

Interior offensive lineman

Offensive tackle

DE Cap Capi

LB John Lotuleilei

Safety (I'm assuming Josh Evans is cut and claimed on waivers with Loston making the team)

CB Rashaad Reynolds

Quote:QB Stephen Morris

WR Tony Washington

WR Neal Sterling

TE Ben Koyack

RT Will Corbin

RB Corey Grant

DE Cap Capi

CB Nick Marshall

LB Todd Thomas

LB John Lotulelei

S Matt Daniels

S Craig Loston

CB Jeremy Harris

Obviously they'll end up grabbing a handful of guys off of waivers from other teams though.
WR Neal Sterling might have to remain on the roster if Marquise Lee is always injured.

02, please check your pm. Cheers.
Quote:WR Neal Sterling might have to remain on the roster if Marquise Lee is always injured.

Good thing Sterling hasn't been.
Has Sterling even played a snap yet?
Quote:Has Sterling even played a snap yet?

Nope.
Can we sneak Grant to the PS?

Quote:Can we sneak Grant to the PS?

Of course
Quote:Of course

Idk. You cant teach speed. I know teams want him.
Quote:Idk. You cant teach speed. I know teams want him.
How do you know that? 32 teams had the opportunity to draft him, and zero did. That's not to say that the speed he's flashed wouldn't make him attractive to a team, but nothing I've seen during the preseason has made me sit up and go, "Wow, this kid is great. He will never, ever clear waivers."
Over 600 players will be released or signed to practice squads in the next week. I'm sure that we are evaluating them, position by position, and comparing them to our players. If we can upgrade the quality of our reserves and practice squad, we'll do so.

Signed

Captain Obvious
We always think our practice squad players are going to get picked up by some other team. Also, who cares? If they're not good enough to make our final roster, who cares if they get picked up.

Quote:We always think our practice squad players are going to get picked up by some other team. Also, who cares? If they're not good enough to make our final roster, who cares if they get picked up.

This ^^
Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Jags02" data-cid="528307" data-time="1441085094">
<div>
QB Stephen Morris

WR Tony Washington

WR Neal Sterling

TE Ben Koyack

RT Will Corbin

RB Corey Grant

DE Cap Capi

CB Nick Marshall

LB Todd Thomas

LB John Lotulelei

S Matt Daniels

S Craig Loston

CB Jeremy Harris

Obviously they'll end up grabbing a handful of guys off of waivers from other teams though.

</div>
</blockquote>

I could totally see this. I was probably focusing too much on keeping rookies still on the roster when I made my guess above.

Lotulelei does have an accrued season, but there's a new rule allowing for two players with up to two accrued seasons to make it so he'd fall under that category.

Loston could make it should the team keep Evans instead, but I have Loston making the final roster along with Grant. While I do see Grant getting claimed quickly, I want him on the roster for everything he brings to the table on offense and special teams.

Harris is totally eligible which surprises me as I thought he had at least one accrued season.

What do you think of WR Bryan Walters play so far?  He has 10 rec for 102 yards, 10.2 avg, he's not a burner but he has decent hands.

Quote:Has Sterling even played a snap yet?
He plays against the Redskins this Thursday

----------------

Two rookies will make their preseason debuts on Thursday. Safety James Sample (forearm) and wide receiver Neal Sterling
(hamstring) will take the field against the Redskins. Neither has played in an NFL game, so this will be their first NFL action. Sample was a last minute "out" for the Jaguars last week and Sterling is finally healed from his hamstring injury.

I caught up with Sterling after to practice to discuss his return.

"This is going to be my first NFL game -- participating," said Sterling.

"Being out the past two weeks has been a little stressful but it's been [for the best]. I'm 100-percent now and I'm ready to play."

Even with the injury, Sterling feels like he's made strides.

"I think [the mental part of the game] has been one of the things I've improved on from being out," said the rookie.

"When you're not actually able to go out there and run around and stuff, you're in the playbook and paying attention in meetings that much more so you don't lose anything. I think by doing that, it has helped me learn the playbook and the plays better and the game a bit more."
I would say WR Neal Sterling's performance against the Redskins this Thursday could help determine if Dave Caldwell puts him on the Practice Squad or gives him an active spot.

----------------------

“I try not to worry too much about the future, but I’m confident I can help this team,” Sterling said during the Jaguars’ off-season program. “We have a young receiving core, but I don’t think they drafted us to sit on the sideline. They obviously see that we have potential to maybe help the receiving core and help the team.”  - Source: Florida Times Union

----

My gut feeling is he gets an active spot.

Quote:My gut feeling is he gets an active spot.
Can't make the club from the tub.

I think he hits the practice squad, maybe Double Secret IR.
Pages: 1 2