Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How "desperate" are the Jaguars at LT?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I feel like Left Tackle is one of those positions you can't leave untouched going into the season if you think your current starter isn't looking so hot. According to a majority of this board Luke Joeckel is awful.

So my question is, how desperate are the Jaguars when it comes to adding starter-level insurance before the regular season? Do you think it'll happen?

Do the Jaguars themselves feel they have a problem?

I think we will find ourselves chipping the DE/LB with the backs more on that side. Maybe roll the protection that way too.

Either way, LT will probably be addressed next offseason. This is Luke's FINAL chance given by the FO.

Let's just go pick a Boselli off the LT tree
Not at all. The team does not feel the same as most of the football gurus here.

I think they have a good pulse on the lack of consistency there. Once they start scheming and game planning they'll provided Bortles with plays that can give the pass protection breaks. With 3 offensive coordinators I think we are likely to see jailbreak screens on the left side and jailbreak rollouts to the right.

That way it punishes defenders who commit to being in the backfield immediately.
Quote:Not at all. The team does not feel the same as most of the football gurus here.

This.  He's not amazing at this point, but he's very serviceable.  It just seems like people here always want at least one guy to hate.
Quote:Let's just go pick a Boselli off the LT tree
Why didn't we do that before? I'm done with this team, I'm going to go be a Bucs fan

Fire Gene Smith
Honestly, there just are not that many good left tackles in the NFL. I hate to see Joeckel get pushed over like he was the other night. But you watch a lot of games and the quality of tackle play is bad. The Cardinals tackles were getting abused last night.

1) I dont think they are desperate because I feel Joeckel is serviceable with help from schemes. The OLine as a whole done a good job protecting the QB so far this preseason. Anyway, the staff thinks he is the best LT option on the team roster now. 

2) I dont think there will be another starter-level insurance LT available left after cuts better than Joeckel.

3) no

4) I believe they are still thinking that he could do the job.

Quote:This. He's not amazing at this point, but he's very serviceable. It just seems like people here always want at least one guy to hate.

The hate for Beadles has fallen off so thusly it must be squared on Joeckel.
Quote:The hate for Beadles has fallen off so thusly it must be squared on Joeckel.

Partially because AJ Cann has not shown that much
Quote:Partially because AJ Cann has not shown that much

Mostly because Beadles has looked pretty good up to this point.  He looks much better than last year.
Personally, I don’t think Joeckel is as bad as people are making him out to be.  I think the problem is that the times he does make a mistake, they are pretty glaring.  Let’s also add that the crop at the LT tree is about as easy to pick from as the QB tree.  And finally, people clamor for them to draft another LT.  Who’s to say the next one is going to be any better?  I think the style of football that college has gone to has made it more and more difficult to truly evaluate line play.  It’s even more of a crapshoot than ever. 

Typical over-reaction from people regarding Joeckel. Dudes in a completely new package after gaining weight from his first real offseason. Pre-season is for working out kinks. Forget his draft position. That whole draft was low in talent. Any other draft, He gets lower first round. 

Joeckel at best right now is average. We can deal with that until one of two things pop up. We find an elite LT or his wheels completely fall off. Even then, He could be moved to RT and maybe save his career as well as the pick wouldnt be completely wasted. 

Quote:Mostly because Beadles has looked pretty good up to this point. He looks much better than last year.
He might look a little better than last year, but he has not been "pretty good". People just aren't paying attention because of the LT. The LG position has played worse than LT all preseason. Go back and watch how often teams are penetrating through that gap. It's not ok.
If Joeckel does not improve, a LT will be a priority after the season.  However, I think he'll be serviceable this year, with some good and ugly moments.

Quote:Honestly, there just are not that many good left tackles in the NFL. I hate to see Joeckel get pushed over like he was the other night. But you watch a lot of games and the quality of tackle play is bad. The Cardinals tackles were getting abused last night.
I agree, I think elite left tackles can be counted on one hand. It's nothing like the late 90s where there were atleast 10 elite left tackles. And it's honestly because of how athletic defensive linemen are now a days.
Now I'm not excusing Joeckel for his mediocre - average play with the above post. Most tackles drafted now a days seem to be busts. Lane Johnson was the best of the tackles that season, but the only elite LTs that come to mind are Tyron Smith, Duane Brown, and Ryan Clady (injured).

All I can say is, Seattle has never had a good pass protecting line in front of Wilson, but they do run the ball well. If Joeckel can atleast be consistently average, our offensive line can be good enough.
Quote:According to a majority of this board Luke Joeckel is awful.

According to the majority of this board "pudding" is a color.
Quote:Now I'm not excusing Joeckel for his mediocre - average play with the above post. Most tackles drafted now a days seem to be busts. Lane Johnson was the best of the tackles that season, but the only elite LTs that come to mind are Tyron Smith, Duane Brown, and Ryan Clady (injured).

All I can say is, Seattle has never had a good pass protecting line in front of Wilson, but they do run the ball well. If Joeckel can atleast be consistently average, our offensive line can be good enough.

And Lane Johnson is a right tackle
Pages: 1 2