Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars need to honor Jimmy Smith
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It is about time to forgive Jimmy and place him in the ring of honor! Do you agree?
Welcome back TMD

I thought Blackmon was in charge of bringing the balloons to this party.
yes

Quote:It is about time to forgive Jimmy and place him in the ring of honor! Do you agree?

...and then win 5 games?
Quote:...and then win 5 games?

And give Bradley a contract extension
OK Jimmy... step away from the keyboard

Sure.  Maybe he'll get a 12-hour furlough and graciously accept this in his orange jumpsuit and handcuffs.

Quote:Sure.  Maybe he'll get a 12-hour furlough and graciously accept this in his orange jumpsuit and handcuffs.

From all accounts, he has stayed clean. Last I heard, he was coaching high school football.
Quote:From all accounts, he has stayed clean. Last I heard, he was coaching high school football.
Per Rotoworld 2 years ago:

Quote: 

Ex-Jaguars WR Jimmy Smith began serving a six-year prison sentence on March 29.
Smith, 44, was sentenced to four years for cocaine possession and two more for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. It's not a surprise to see Smith in trouble with the law. Smith has been battling drug problems since he left the league, and it's even believed that he surprisingly retired in May 2006 due to a looming suspension for a failed drug test. The Jaguars great caught 862 passes for 12,287 yards and 67 touchdowns across 11 seasons in Jacksonville. Although Smith was one of the most underrated receivers of all time, his credentials fall just short of Hall-of-Fame caliber and his post-career escapades aren't helping him. Mon, May 13, 2013 07:07:00 PM

It's going to be tough for Jimmy to get in. From a ranking perspective he's behind guys like Isaac Bruce who is also going to have a tough time getting in. It's not just the drugs and lack of a SB on his resume; when they go to the stats they'll realize a surprisingly low number of TDs due to his tendency to immediately look to the get out of bounds after the catch in lieu of looking to get to the end zone.

If he does get in it will be the result of his uncanny ability to make the tippy-toe sideline catch. He perfected that and made it a staple for other WRs to follow.

Quote:Per Rotoworld 2 years ago:

And he was released a month or so later. And that was two years ago.
Jimmy smith was a hero to the community and though he will never make the hall of fame , he deserves to be honored in the ring of honor
Quote:Jimmy smith was a hero to the community and though he will never make the hall of fame , he deserves to be honored in the ring of honor

Jimmy Smith needs to go an extended period of time before being put on the Ring of Honor.  I would have put Jimmy up there over Brunell and pretty much everyone else, but the fact remains that he was in trouble and ended his career badly in Jax and after he left it didn't get much better.
I'd love to see Jimmy get in the ring of honor. He's paid his dues.

Quote:And he was released a month or so later. And that was two years ago.
Was he really?  I know good behavior you can get out early, but how does a a 6 year sentence get reduced to a month?
Quote:And give Bradley a contract extension

And something something Ryan Mallett.
Quote:Was he really?  I know good behavior you can get out early, but how does a a 6 year sentence get reduced to a month?

He was at the Jaguars-Giants game last year
Quote:I thought Blackmon was in charge of bringing the balloons to this party.
He was, but they burst in his stomach on the way back from Colombia, and now he's got another 12 months added on to his suspension.
"From all accounts, he has stayed clean. Last I heard, he was coaching high school football."

High School is not the place for a recovering drug addict to be.

Pages: 1 2