Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Tom Coughlin's Offseason Plan Part 1 (Offense)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
<span>Hello, I have been reading The Jungle for a bit now and I have finally decided to create an account. This will be my first post on The Jungle, I will be giving you guys a rough idea of what I believe is Tom Coughlin's plan this Off-season for Offense. Let's get into it....
</span>

<span style="background-color:transparent;">Quarterback:
</span>

<span style="background-color:transparent;">Let's start with the most important position... The Quarterback!
</span>

<span style="background-color:transparent;">I believe the Jaguars will bring in competition for Blake this off-season but it won't be a big name player as many fans would like. This is what i think the Jaguars QB depth will be going into camp...
</span>

<span style="background-color:transparent;">Blake Bortles - Will obviously be the starting QB going into camp, let's see if he improved this offseason...
</span>

Chad Henne - Chad Henne is a veteran QB and will begin "competing" in camp, i think he will be one of the first QB's to be cut.

Brandon Allen - I hope Allen gives Bortles a run for his money, i think Allen can be a great QB in the NFL.

<span style="background-color:transparent;">Ryan Nassib - It just makes sense, Nassib will be brought in to compete, Nassib was coached by Marrone in college (Syracuse) and was drafted by Coughlin in New York, this move makes sense.  
</span>

UDFA - A UDFA QB will be brought in for more competition. (Probably just a camp guy)

Running back
<span><span style="background-color:transparent;">:
</span></span>

<span style="background-color:transparent;">The running back position could see a few new additions going into camp... the players brought in will either be drafted or UDFA's.  Coughlin likes bigger backs so look to see some of the guys brought in to have size.
</span>

<span style="background-color:transparent;">Chris Ivory - A fairly big back with lots of power and bullies defenders. Ivory had a bad year last year but can't take all the stick, the O-Line was bad, hopefully Ivory will improve this season with a better O-Line.
</span>

TJ Yeldon - Yeldon has injury issues we all know that but i hope he can turn it around, he is also somewhat of a big running back with great cutting ability, lets hope he improves.

Grant - FAST! Grant is rapid and we should definitely keep Grant if not as a rotational back then keep him as a WEAPON!

Samaje Perine -  This is less of a prediction and more of a want, i personally like this guy he reminds me so much of MJD, if he falls into the second round and keeps falling we could trade back in to pick him up. Perine is a bowling ball like MJD, the similarities to MJD are amazing, i think the Jags should definitely give Perine a look. It all depends whom the Jags select before him.

Joe Mixon - This guy isn’t a big back but he is a playmaker and a good running back. He might fall really late due to his off the field issues and would be a steal in the late rounds.

(Leonard Fournette?) - Arguably the best running back in this class, big running back who punishes his defenders. If Myles Garrett and Jonathan Allen are off the board it wouldn't surprise me if the Jags drafted him.

UDFA - Will bring in a UDFA, most likely a camp guy.

<span style="background-color:transparent;">Fullback:
</span>

Alualu? - I have no idea if the Jaguars will use a FB next season but Alualu played the role somewhat so i have him here.

<span style="background-color:transparent;">Wide Receiver:
</span>

<span style="background-color:transparent;">Not much needs to be changed, we’ve got 3 great receivers and decent depth.
</span>

<span style="background-color:transparent;">Allen Hurns - Hurns is my favourite player, he didn't put up huge numbers last year like he has done in the past but he did okay, hopefully with better QB play Hurns will put up big numbers again.
</span>

Allen Robinson -  Similiar to Hurns, Robinson did okay but didn’t up the numbers he had put up in the past, hopefully with better QB play we will see Robinson put up big numbers again

Marqise Lee -  Had a good year last year and hopefully will build off that. If he can stay healthy he is another great receiver.

Rashad Greene - Had a bad season last year, but has talent, let's hope he turns it around

Arrelious Benn - Great special teams player and good wide receiver depth

UDFA or Practice Squad guys - I think we will obviously see some UDFA or Practice Squad guys compete, a name to look out for is Jamaal Robinson who signed to a future/reserve contract.

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:transparent;">Tight End:
</span>

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:transparent;">There will be a fair few changes at TE this season….
</span>

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:transparent;">Marcedes Lewis - Veteran, hopefully will play his whole career in Jax. Great blocking tight end and experienced.
</span>

Ben Koyack - Played well this season and made some good plays.

Neal Sterling - Similiar to Koyack, played well and made some goods plays.

UDFA or late draft pick - The Jaguars like what they have already at TE but will look for more guys to compete in camp.

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:transparent;">Offensive Line:
</span>

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:transparent;">The offensive line is going to have the biggest change on the offensive side of the ball. The O-line was bad last year and will be looked to be improved, Coughlin likes big mauler type O-lineman and will also be looking for great run blockers who can also pass block.
</span>

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:transparent;">Offensive Tackle:
</span>

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:transparent;">Branden Albert - Large, veteran tackle. I think the Miami trade will happen sending Julius Thomas to them in exchange for Branden Albert. This guy is huge and a great run blocker and a good pass blocker, if he can stay healthy would be a good starting Left Tackle.
</span>

Ryan Ramczyk - Great tackle, could possibly fall to the second round for the Jaguars to pick up. Will compete in camp for both LT and RT. Most likely will be the starting RT going into Week 1.

Jeremy Parnell - Parnell will go into camp and have to compete for Right Tackle.

Josh Wells - Depth

UDFA or late round draft picks - In the late rounds the Jags will bring in a load of O-line depth to compete in camp and also bring in some UDFA to compete.

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:transparent;">Offensive Guard:
</span>

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:transparent;">Kevin Zeitler or Ronald Leary - The Jaguars will almost no doubt pick up one of these guys if one of them hits free agency. Both solid starters in a much needed position of improvement.
</span>

AJ Cann - Didn’t have the great season last year but will be moved back to LG next season and hopefully we will see a great improvement.

Patrick Omameh - Depth and to compete in camp

Tyler Shatley - Depth and to compete in camp

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:transparent;">UDFA or late round draft pick - Depth and to compete in camp
</span>

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:transparent;">Center:
</span>

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:transparent;">Brandon Linder - One of the best center’s in the league, will be the starting center going into Week 1.
</span>

Luke Bowanko - Depth

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:transparent;">UDFA - Depth and to compete in camp
</span>

Let me know what you guys think. I would like to see some of your predictions. Cheers.

Not a bad first post.... welcome aboard.  I can see what your posting happening..  probably won't be too thrilled about it.  This year I am immune to hype or excitement.  Not going to rah rah for the offseason.

Ya forgot cook. And welcome to the board
Great find with Ryan Nassib, could be some great competition with Bortles.  I'm wondering how much money he'll command.

Welcome to the Jungle.

Welcome aboard and thank you for your breakdown. Some of your predictions are more than reasonable and they pretty much line up with a lot of the local talking heads and armchair general managers on our message board.

I think us drafting Joe Mixon could be off the table just because of the character concerns as you've cited. I do believe they will be bringing in a legitimate fullback this off-season. Because of the lack of quarterback talent available through free agency and this year's draft class I think they'll put more of an emphasis on the ground game in 2017. 

I'd think they'd target someone like Dalvin Cook or Leonard Fournette at this point to make the running back position completely solidified between a top prospect, Ivory and Yeldon to take the pressure off of Bortles. And I think we'll see two offensive lineman brought in through free agency and/or trade. 

I think they will land Albert here shortly to play LT and they'll aim to beef up the interior by targeting lineman like Zeitler, Lang and Leary to push Cann and our other relatively young and inexperienced depth chart. I would love to see Ramczyk fall to us in RD2 but most places I've seen have him going somewhere before the 20th pick is on the clock. 

I wouldn't rule out someone like Lamp or Bolles if they somehow slip into RD2 or Moton or Dawkins in RD3 though to certainly give Parnell a run for his money during training camp. 

Quote:Ya forgot cook. And welcome to the board
I would rather have Cook than Fournette as well.  His ability to catch the ball out of the backfield is the difference maker for me.  Not that Fournette can't but its one of the strengths of Cook's game.
And what people dont understand youtube chris ivory and fournette.

And explain with a good line what the difference is?

Other then one is a younger version.

Ivory is the exact same kind of back.

So how does that make any sense?

Unless line up both up in backfield and establish a power running game?
Other than Ryan Nassib, I like the looks of the offense. Nassib probably wouldn't even make the team and certainly wouldn't push Bortles. Nassib isn't much better than Henne. I really like the idea of adding Perrine at RB and if we trade for Albert, adding Ramczyk as well. I'm not a believer in Albert, so adding the best LT in this draft class is a smart move. Moving Cann back to his natural position of LG makes all the sense in the world. I don't know why he was moved to begin with. Adding an OG in free agency is totally expected and then drafting a big, shifty RB like Perine would be a great addition.

Welcome to the board!

Welcome to the board! Nice takes. Two minor disagreements. I don't think Parnell will even make it to camp. He's done. I don't think Marcedes makes the team either. Time to see what Koyak and Sterling can do, IMO.
Quote:Welcome to the board! Nice takes. Two minor disagreements. I don't think Parnell will even make it to camp. He's done. I don't think Marcedes makes the team either. Time to see what Koyak and Sterling can do, IMO.
Remember when Marrone gushed over Parnell unsolicited about him playing his best games as a Jaguar the final two weeks of the season. I think we're gonna be stuck with Parnell.
Nassib isn't good and no way competition to Bortles maybe for Allen 3rd string.
Yea, Nassib is not an upgrade that is for sure.
Great to see your guys' opinions, just to clarify i put down a question mark next to Fournette because i think its a possibility but I personally think it is a higher possibility that the Jags will draft a defensive player at pick #4. 

Zeitler is fine but as we were saying in another thread, he fits the zone blocking scheme. If we are sticking to that, okay. I'd rather have warford though. 

Mangold is a free agent we could also get and move Linder to Guard.

Quote:Welcome aboard and thank you for your breakdown. Some of your predictions are more than reasonable and they pretty much line up with a lot of the local talking heads and armchair general managers on our message board.

I think us drafting Joe Mixon could be off the table just because of the character concerns as you've cited. I do believe they will be bringing in a legitimate fullback this off-season. Because of the lack of quarterback talent available through free agency and this year's draft class I think they'll put more of an emphasis on the ground game in 2017. 

I'd think they'd target someone like Dalvin Cook or Leonard Fournette at this point to make the running back position completely solidified between a top prospect, Ivory and Yeldon to take the pressure off of Bortles. And I think we'll see two offensive lineman brought in through free agency and/or trade. 

I think they will land Albert here shortly to play LT and they'll aim to beef up the interior by targeting lineman like Zeitler, Lang and Leary to push Cann and our other relatively young and inexperienced depth chart. I would love to see Ramczyk fall to us in RD2 but most places I've seen have him going somewhere before the 20th pick is on the clock. 

I wouldn't rule out someone like Lamp or Bolles if they somehow slip into RD2 or Moton or Dawkins in RD3 though to certainly give Parnell a run for his money during training camI wa
My first thoughts were the Jaguars were going to draft Lamp in the second because like you i don't think Ramcyzyk was going to fall. I don't know why I went back on my thought, it may have been due to his hip injury so he may fall to the second. Either way i wouldn't mind either Ramcyzk or Lamp they both would improve the O-Line. Anyway cheers for the reply, great input.  
Quote:And what people dont understand youtube chris ivory and fournette.

And explain with a good line what the difference is?

Other then one is a younger version.

Ivory is the exact same kind of back.

So how does that make any sense?

Unless line up both up in backfield and establish a power running game?
I somewhat agree with you here, that's why i don't think the Jags will draft a running back at pick #4  but it is a possibility. I selected Fournette over Cook due to Coughlin liking bigger backs. Having Ivory and Fournette punishing a defense and then having Grant to bring lightning quick speed would be a great backfield to have. Yeldon aswell is somewhat of a big back with great agility. I personally would prefer and think that the Jags will draft a Runningback in the Mid-Rounds, someone like Samaje Perine would be great and is my personal favourite. 
Quote:Hello, I have been reading The Jungle for a bit now and I have finally decided to create an account. This will be my first post on The Jungle, I will be giving you guys a rough idea of what I believe is Tom Coughlin's plan this Off-season for Offense. Let's get into it....

Quarterback:

Let's start with the most important position... The Quarterback!

I believe the Jaguars will bring in competition for Blake this off-season but it won't be a big name player as many fans would like. This is what i think the Jaguars QB depth will be going into camp...

Blake Bortles - Will obviously be the starting QB going into camp, let's see if he improved this offseason...
Chad Henne - Chad Henne is a veteran QB and will begin "competing" in camp, i think he will be one of the first QB's to be cut.
Brandon Allen - I hope Allen gives Bortles a run for his money, i think Allen can be a great QB in the NFL.
Ryan Nassib - It just makes sense, Nassib will be brought in to compete, Nassib was coached by Marrone in college (Syracuse) and was drafted by Coughlin in New York, this move makes sense.
UDFA - A UDFA QB will be brought in for more competition. (Probably just a camp guy)

Running back:

The running back position could see a few new additions going into camp... the players brought in will either be drafted or UDFA's. Coughlin likes bigger backs so look to see some of the guys brought in to have size.

Chris Ivory - A fairly big back with lots of power and bullies defenders. Ivory had a bad year last year but can't take all the stick, the O-Line was bad, hopefully Ivory will improve this season with a better O-Line.
TJ Yeldon - Yeldon has injury issues we all know that but i hope he can turn it around, he is also somewhat of a big running back with great cutting ability, lets hope he improves.
Grant - FAST! Grant is rapid and we should definitely keep Grant if not as a rotational back then keep him as a WEAPON!
Samaje Perine - This is less of a prediction and more of a want, i personally like this guy he reminds me so much of MJD, if he falls into the second round and keeps falling we could trade back in to pick him up. Perine is a bowling ball like MJD, the similarities to MJD are amazing, i think the Jags should definitely give Perine a look. It all depends whom the Jags select before him.
Joe Mixon - This guy isn’t a big back but he is a playmaker and a good running back. He might fall really late due to his off the field issues and would be a steal in the late rounds.
(Leonard Fournette?) - Arguably the best running back in this class, big running back who punishes his defenders. If Myles Garrett and Jonathan Allen are off the board it wouldn't surprise me if the Jags drafted him.
UDFA - Will bring in a UDFA, most likely a camp guy.

Fullback:

Alualu? - I have no idea if the Jaguars will use a FB next season but Alualu played the role somewhat so i have him here.

Wide Receiver:

Not much needs to be changed, we’ve got 3 great receivers and decent depth.

Allen Hurns - Hurns is my favourite player, he didn't put up huge numbers last year like he has done in the past but he did okay, hopefully with better QB play Hurns will put up big numbers again.
Allen Robinson - Similiar to Hurns, Robinson did okay but didn’t up the numbers he had put up in the past, hopefully with better QB play we will see Robinson put up big numbers again
Marqise Lee - Had a good year last year and hopefully will build off that. If he can stay healthy he is another great receiver.
Rashad Greene - Had a bad season last year, but has talent, let's hope he turns it around

Arrelious Benn - Great special teams player and good wide receiver depth

UDFA or Practice Squad guys - I think we will obviously see some UDFA or Practice Squad guys compete, a name to look out for is Jamaal Robinson who signed to a future/reserve contract.

Tight End:

There will be a fair few changes at TE this season….

Marcedes Lewis - Veteran, hopefully will play his whole career in Jax. Great blocking tight end and experienced.

Ben Koyack - Played well this season and made some good plays.

Neal Sterling - Similiar to Koyack, played well and made some goods plays.

UDFA or late draft pick - The Jaguars like what they have already at TE but will look for more guys to compete in camp.

Offensive Line:

The offensive line is going to have the biggest change on the offensive side of the ball. The O-line was bad last year and will be looked to be improved, Coughlin likes big mauler type O-lineman and will also be looking for great run blockers who can also pass block.

Offensive Tackle:

Branden Albert - Large, veteran tackle. I think the Miami trade will happen sending Julius Thomas to them in exchange for Branden Albert. This guy is huge and a great run blocker and a good pass blocker, if he can stay healthy would be a good starting Left Tackle.

Ryan Ramczyk - Great tackle, could possibly fall to the second round for the Jaguars to pick up. Will compete in camp for both LT and RT. Most likely will be the starting RT going into Week 1.

Jeremy Parnell - Parnell will go into camp and have to compete for Right Tackle.

Josh Wells - Depth

UDFA or late round draft picks - In the late rounds the Jags will bring in a load of O-line depth to compete in camp and also bring in some UDFA to compete.

Offensive Guard:

Kevin Zeitler or Ronald Leary - The Jaguars will almost no doubt pick up one of these guys if one of them hits free agency. Both solid starters in a much needed position of improvement.

AJ Cann - Didn’t have the great season last year but will be moved back to LG next season and hopefully we will see a great improvement.

Patrick Omameh - Depth and to compete in camp

Tyler Shatley - Depth and to compete in camp

UDFA or late round draft pick - Depth and to compete in camp

Center:

Brandon Linder - One of the best center’s in the league, will be the starting center going into Week 1.

Luke Bowanko - Depth

UDFA - Depth and to compete in camp

Let me know what you guys think. I would like to see some of your predictions. Cheers.
Welcome to the board my good man and I like your analysis on the team. The only critique I have is you're giving the receivers too much of a pass when they need to improve their play because there was a lot of dropped passes between those receivers in addition to Allen Robinson inability to Excel against press coverage.
Welcome to the board... This was a pretty good post, I agree with most of your points..People keep saying Coughlin like big backs, but he also like small ones too.. Remember Tiki Barber, that's why I wouldn't rule out Dalvin as the man in the driver seat as far as draft picks..

As far as Qbs,I believe one will be drafted within the top 5 rounds.. Keep your eye out for a guy named Jarod Evans out of VT. He is 6-4,235lb qb, runs a 4.6-4.7 40.. He threw over 3,000 yds with 29 TDs and 12 TDs rushings..I still believe Romo is an options as a free agent as well.. Bring him in and if he out plays Bortles he win the job..That simple..

The Wr position need somebody to pushed them to become better..I would look for them to draft a guy with speed like Stacey Coley out of Miami or maybe Ardarius Stewart from Alabama...Or bring in a free agent, like Brian Quick or hell just bring Walters back in...

I hope Julius Thomas stays, but if we can get a draft pick and or olineman for him I'm cool with that.

Either way, I can't wait to see ...
Pages: 1 2 3