Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: PFF Grades for Jags/Giants
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

raweyejag

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...s-jaguars/

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">Here are the top takeaways from Saturday’s Jaguars-Giants game

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">Jacksonville Jaguars

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">–QB Blake Bortles still needs polishing. After impressing a week ago in limited action, Bortles struggled with his accuracy under pressure and with the deep ball.  At -2.6 on 30 snaps, his worst play was a sack-fumble where he attempted to gain an extra yard instead of sliding on the first drive of the game.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">–Outside of his 36-yard reception where he separated from Giants CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie across the middle, WR Allen Robinson had a night to forget, dropping two passes on seven targets.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">–Rookie DT Michael Bennett improved from his first NFL action a week ago, grading at +0.4 overall and showing better in run defense — he recording a stop in six of his run snaps. While he did notch two hurries, one was of the clean-up variety and it was over the course of 20 pass-rush snaps, leaving him with a -0.5 pass rush grade.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">–Rookie and former Auburn QB Nick Marshall is making the switch to CB, and he played well despite giving up a touchdown on a perfectly thrown ball by Ryan Nassib.  Marshall allowed only one other catch on 12 pass snaps.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">Top 5 graded players:

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">1. OL Stefen Wisniewski +3.8

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">2. DT Ziggy Hood +2.1

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">3. LB John Lotulelei +2.0

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">4. DT Tyson Alualu, DE Ryan Davis +1.8

Quote: 

<p style="color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">4. DT Tyson Alualu, DE Ryan Davis +1.8

:o
Man I really want Nick to work out for us.

Quote:Man I really want Nick to work out for us.

Same, I'm really rooting for him.
I guess hitting Hurns in the chest 40 yards downfield is struggling with the deep ball?

Did he even throw another deep pass?
Quote:I guess hitting Hurns in the chest 40 yards downfield is struggling with the deep ball?

I'm thinking they do the writeups based on their stats, and not the actual game.  
Quote:I guess hitting Hurns in the chest 40 yards downfield is struggling with the deep ball?

There was a slight overthrow on a sideline throw to AR15 but that's about it. But yeah, he struggled and looked panicked lol

raweyejag

As of last October 2014, 14 NFL teams(7 of which made the playoffs) use PFF according to SI MMQB, so before panties get all bunched up, understand grades apparently are based on approved criteria by a lot of NFL teams.  IMO I think Jags are one of the 14 because of Tony and certain comments from inside the building appears to be PFF speak.

Quote:As of last October 2014, 14 NFL teams(7 of which made the playoffs) use PFF according to SI MMQB, so before panties get all bunched up, understand grades apparently are based on approved criteria by a lot of NFL teams.  IMO I think Jags are one of the 14 because of Tony and certain comments from inside the building appears to be PFF speak.

The only approved criteria I need are my eyeballs.  Bortles played well.
Quote:There was a slight overthrow on a sideline throw to AR15 but that's about it. But yeah, he struggled and looked panicked lol

Missed a wide open Harbor on the Hurns drop too. Blake played OK. He missed throws, and other throws the WRs didn't help him. I don't know how that correlates to + or - but its whatever. More than likely the sack fumble probably was the main factor in bringing his "grade" down
Quote:Missed a wide open Harbor on the Hurns drop too. Blake played OK. He missed throws, and other throws the WRs didn't help him. I don't know how that correlates to + or - but its whatever. More than likely the sack fumble probably was the main factor in bringing his "grade" down

You can't say he "struggled" there when he didn't even throw the ball to him. The pass to Hurns was perfect and should have been caught.
Quote:You can't say he "struggled" there when he didn't even throw the ball to him. The pass to Hurns was perfect and should have been caught.

You had a guy who had defenders on him for a 40 yarder and who would have needed to make a great play and a guy who was wide open for 20 yards (plus whatever YAC he can pick up, possibly another 10-15 yards minimum).

I don't care how "elite" your arm is. The correct play in that instance is to Harbor.

That's like Kobe taking a contested 3-point shot fading away. Sure, he can make it because he's Kobe. But a better shot would have been a wide open Steve Kerr.
Quote:You had a guy who had defenders on him for a 40 yarder and who would have needed to make a great play and a guy who was wide open for 20 yards (plus whatever YAC he can pick up, possibly another 10-15 yards minimum).

I don't care how "elite" your arm is. The correct play in that instance is to Harbor.

That's like Kobe taking a contested 3-point shot fading away. Sure, he can make it because he's Kobe. But a better shot would have been a wide open Steve Kerr.

So maybe they wanted to see what he could do with a deep throw. So if Hurns caught it, it's still a bad play?
Quote:You had a guy who had defenders on him for a 40 yarder and who would have needed to make a great play and a guy who was wide open for 20 yards (plus whatever YAC he can pick up, possibly another 10-15 yards minimum).

I don't think great QBs always go for the easy play.  He put the ball right where it needed to be.  A good WR would have caught that ball.

Quote:Missed a wide open Harbor on the Hurns drop too. Blake played OK. He missed throws, and other throws the WRs didn't help him. I don't know how that correlates to + or - but its whatever. More than likely the sack fumble probably was the main factor in bringing his "grade" down
How can you "miss" a throw that you don't take?

raweyejag

Quote:I'm thinking they do the writeups based on their stats, and not the actual game.  
https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/how-we-grade/

PFF is not perfect and I am not trying to sell anyone on them, just trying to share what IMO is an unbiased analysis of all NFL talent including our Jags. I do think Bortles has improved as I think the team as a whole has.

However when I look with my eyes I still see basic mistakes(missed tackles, wrong angles, missed assignments, penalties, etc)on both sides of the ball that show we are not there yet. PFF evaluations lets me easily

evaluate that without wasting my time doing it myself.
Quote:As of last October 2014, 14 NFL teams(7 of which made the playoffs) use PFF according to SI MMQB, so before panties get all bunched up, understand grades apparently are based on approved criteria by a lot of NFL teams.  IMO I think Jags are one of the 14 because of Tony and certain comments from inside the building appears to be PFF speak.

Use it for what?

raweyejag

Quote:Use it for what?
Analysis of opponents and their own teams players

https://www.profootballfocus.com/coaches-only/

Quote:Use it for what?

For arguing on message boards.
I thought I had seen that PFF doesn't know all of the nuances of the play, such as blocking assignments, when they are doing their 'grades'.
Pages: 1 2 3