Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Front office....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What is it exactly you see in Toby Gerhart????? I'm willing to give him a few preseason games to show something but cmon, it's just not there. If we keep him over Pierce or Storm I think we are making a mistake. I know he's pretty versatile but he has no vision, unless he gets a gaping whole he just runs right into the line of scrimmage.

It's a "hole"....and really?
How dare we cut the random guy we got off of offseason waivers or the former 7th round pick who hasn't done anything. Fire everyone. 

Gerhart, much like Pierce, is a classic up-the-middle pounder who will consistenly pick up at least a couple yards when most needed. He's certainly not a home run type of back that we like to watch, but if you start to understand Olson's scheme, he requires a strong up-the-middle pounder.

LOL!  Pierce and Johnson are worse than Gerhart.

This team has made too much of an investment to improve the position to screw that up by keeping lesser players on the roster.

I've never understood this concept by some fans. If a player we bring in under performs, we must cut him and sign a player who's performance has been even worse as if they will suddenly and miraculously develop a higher ceiling.

It's the irrational desire to punish said player, even if it means you cut off your nose to spite your face.

Wow. 

Im willing to give him aanother year.
Some of you guys are harsh on the OP. I agree that Toby needs to start showing something. I have no problem with letting preseason play out. But eventually if Toby hasn't shown any production it may be time to cut bait. 

He played most of last season with a nagging injury behind a line that couldn't stop a Pop Warner rush and he's the one who has to prove something?  Late in the season when he was healthy, he showed what he's capable of being, and that was with the crappy play calling of Jed Fisch.  Olson is going to provide him with a much better fit for the style of offense he needs to thrive behind a line that should be much better this season than they were earlier in the season last year in providing him with running lanes. 

Holey, Holey, Holey, that is what is needed from our Offensive Line for a RB like Toby Gerhart to really show his wares running inside the OTs. His ability to break arm tackles in contingent upon him getting past the LOS. That has been the problem. I think the answer is to use him more as a move TE in place of Clay Harbor in 3 TE sets and let him get one on one with CBs, LBs and Safeties.

He is just one piece in a larger machine that the Jags are building. His talents will show themselves based upon how he is used.

Sometimes, a one yard up the middle type of run is more than it appears when it is put into a larger context of showing the defense, that the Jags will not give up on running up the gut. Later in games, such runs turn out to be 8 to 10 yard gains and creates 1st downs and ultimately sustain critical game winning drives.

Actually, instead of bashing on the OP, I'm going to agree with him. Toby has shown nothing at all to be a "lock-in" on the roster. If you watched his runs last night, the dude ran into his line and then went down for a loss of yards. Isn't that the same thing he did last season? He had an injury, yes, but he was only good when he was open on screens. You guys talk about Scobee having serious competition and might be cut for that new guy, but you can't understand that its the same for Toby? Pierce and Storm had a couple big runs last night and out-performed Toby. If Olsen wants a big RB that can pound it up-the-middle, then he should look at Pierce. 

I think that Bernard Pierce may be a better short yardage option than Toby Gerhart, but I do not think that either Pierce or Storm are better receivers out of the backfield nor do they have the versatility that Gerhart has in this offense.
You know what I am excited about? The fact that none of us work in the front office. But oh the never ending debate of the couch coaches
Quote:You know what I am excited about? The fact that none of us work in the front office. But oh the never ending debate of the couch coaches
Its fun to talk football and voice your opinion. You know what isn't exciting? You being a debby downer and calling people couch coaches on a football message board.
I actually prefer coaching from the couch out of the heat of the day.

You don't earn the nickname "slowby" for being good.

Also, why do people get their panties in a bunch when someone questions the moves of the front office? Doesn't essentially the past decade of this franchise allow the FO to be questioned without being flamed? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4kGp5m9...u.be&t=14s

Quote:You don't earn the nickname "slowby" for being good.

No, you "earn" that nickname from ignorant fans.
Quote:No, you "earn" that nickname from ignorant fans.

No, just fans that have a set of working eyes.
Pierce and Gerhart should battle for the 3rd string RB
Quote:No, just fans that have a set of working eyes.

If it's only used by like five guys on a message board, is it really a nickname?
Pages: 1 2 3