Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Xfinity --- thinking about leaving Direct TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK .... AT&T internet speed has slowed tremendously over the past few months and I don't feel like upgrading again to keep up with their tactics.  It's killing my Direct TV capabilities which weren't great to begin with (e.g. On Demand takes long, etc.).

Questions:  Does anyone know if Xfinity can support 6 HD TVs?  Also, how fast is 75Mbps ?  I read that it's pretty good but wanted to see if anyone had personal experience with it on their TV and computers.

Thanks !!
I can't speak on the tv aspect, but 75mbps is solid, though it depends on what you want.  If I remember correctly Netflix needs 3-5 mbps for hd, so you'll have a lot of overhead to work with if you're concerned about streaming.  

I currently have the "blast" or whatever it's called, was supposed to be only 50 mbps, but I get 90ish, datacaps being suspended is a plus also. 

[Image: 4538630227.png]

Also ATT is probably the worst company I've ever dealt with personally, run away, you won't be sorry. 

Xfinity AKA Comcast you wont be able to get NFL package. But Comcast is faster internet than ATT in most places. Are there any fiber companies in you area? Give them a look too. 

I have Xfinity Business class internet and it streams Video just fine

In my experience, ATT (warts and all) is much better quality service all around than Komcast.  Reliability of their lines and equipment are higher, and customer service better as well.

Quote:In my experience, ATT (warts and all) is much better quality service all around than Komcast. Reliability of their lines and equipment are higher, and customer service better as well.

I would say exactly the opposite. In my experience AT&T flat-out sucked, forcing me to go back to Satan (Comcast).
Many of my friends who have Comcast complain about outages and not receiving the speed promised.  None of which I've experienced with Uverse.  Our church stream and guest wifi struggles with Comcast.  Comcast completely crashed downtown during the Rockville weekend.  The nearest available server was all the way out in MacClenny, making service awful at best that Saturday.

DirecTV was my favorite of them all, back when they had TiVo driven DVRs (best interface IMO.)  My reason for leaving was to bundle internet.  My DirecTV service was out maybe 20 minutes when we had our last hurricane(s) hit about 10 years ago.  My mother in law's Comcast service was out an entire week during that same storm.

My kids have two tablets, we have three computers, a PS3, two smart phones, and a smart TV and I've got no issues with Uverse.  Occasionally I'll have to reboot the router (2-3 times a year) but other than that it's smooth sailing.

I ended up leaving satellite for television a while back, only because we were kind of being "forced" to go to Uverse for internet access.  I got a notice from AT&T that they were going to change my service from DSL to Uverse, so I looked into their offering.  What I did like was the fact that I can get the Red Zone for football without having to get Sunday Ticket.  I made the switch and have never looked back.  I get good internet speed for what I need, television streaming (including Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc.) has never been a problem, and I can't say that I've ever had any kind of outage or interruption regardless of the weather.

My only complaint is the idiots that they had come out to do the installation.  I wasn't home at the time, but my wife was (who knows nothing about computer networking).  They put a wireless access point right next to the wireless router.  In other words, the WAP was doing nothing for me.  After I reconfigured their boneheaded installation, I've been happy.

Devices on my home network.

2x smart tv's

2x smart BluRay Players

2x smart phones (androids)

4x tablets (3 android tablets and a kindle)

2x servers

2x desktop computers

2x laptop computers

1 networked color laser printer

Various devices that I tinker with (Arduino, Raspberry Pi, ARM Development boards, etc.)

Thanks everyone for your input !!    Good stuff --- appreciate it.

Quote:Devices on my home network.

2x smart tv's

2x smart BluRay Players

2x smart phones (androids)

4x tablets (3 android tablets and a kindle)

2x servers

2x desktop computers

2x laptop computers

1 networked color laser printer

Various devices that I tinker with (Arduino, Raspberry Pi, ARM Development boards, etc.)
I'm surprised neither your partridge nor the pear tree it's in are Wifi capable.
75 down is great for internet needs. Be sure to buy your own modem and not the Comcast rental. I recommend the Motorola sb6121 or sb6141. I only have their most basic cable plan for local channels, but friends have the full HD packages and their only complaints are sluggishness from the set top/dvr boxes
Quote:I'm surprised neither your partridge nor the pear tree it's in are Wifi capable.

Other than my tablets, phones and laptops, everything else is hard wired.  I don't trust Wifi much.  By the way, my partridge and my pear tree use one of the Raspberry Pi's.
Quote:Other than my tablets, phones and laptops, everything else is hard wired.  I don't trust Wifi much.  By the way, my partridge and my pear tree use one of the Raspberry Pi's.
Interesting, the only thing hard wired in my apartment is my desktop PC.
Quote:Interesting, the only thing hard wired in my apartment is my desktop PC.

I would rather things be hard wired for most of my computer work.  For one it's faster than Wifi, and two, it's just a little bit more secure.  Out in public, the only time I turn Wifi on is if I'm doing some kind of analysis.  In my opinion, if someone accesses their personal information (ie. bank accounts or otherwise) over a "public hot spot" they are opening themselves up to a huge risk.  I would also wager that most people that use "wireless" in their homes don't have things secured.

Call me paranoid or whatever, but broadcasting info out into the air is the easiest way to have that info compromised.
Quote:Many of my friends who have Comcast complain about outages and not receiving the speed promised.  None of which I've experienced with Uverse.  Our church stream and guest wifi struggles with Comcast.  Comcast completely crashed downtown during the Rockville weekend.  The nearest available server was all the way out in MacClenny, making service awful at best that Saturday.

DirecTV was my favorite of them all, back when they had TiVo driven DVRs (best interface IMO.)  My reason for leaving was to bundle internet.  My DirecTV service was out maybe 20 minutes when we had our last hurricane(s) hit about 10 years ago.  My mother in law's Comcast service was out an entire week during that same storm.

My kids have two tablets, we have three computers, a PS3, two smart phones, and a smart TV and I've got no issues with Uverse.  Occasionally I'll have to reboot the router (2-3 times a year) but other than that it's smooth sailing.

You know you can bundle DTV through AT&T, right?  We've done it for years with our mobile account and satellite.  And the TiVo DVRs have been brought back as well.  We've been customers with DTV for more than 13 years now, and there are the occasional outages when the weather is really bad, but not nearly as frequently as cable drops.

As far as Internet, Xfinity/Comcast is pretty much the fastest service in the area, blowing away Uverse or anything else on the market currently that's readily available.  I've got the Blast package, and it was originally 50 Mbps, but they've upped it to 100.  I work from home, and rely on my Internet.  I need the most reliable speed possible because I'm running video conferencing and IP Phone pretty much all day long.  For all the things I truly dislike about Comcast, they keep me as a customer because nobody can match the speed or reliability of their Internet services.

I did try Uverse a while back because AT&T told us that they could get us speeds close to what we were seeing at the time with cable.  I agreed to give them a run, and the promised speed vs. what I was actually seeing with the speed tests were off by about 80%.  When I called AT&T, they said it must be an external wiring issue, so they sent a tech out.  Prior to his arrival, AT&T confirmed that all of the necessary hardware to support the higher speeds had been installed and that it was available in our area.  The tech checked the lines at the house (fine), and at the box (fine).  He told me he was going to check the main box for the entire area and that he'd be gone about 20 minutes.  He came back after checking it and said that while the hardware had indeed been installed, it had not yet been configured.  There wasn't even a work order to do so, so it was going to be several months before anything close to what we'd been promised was going to be a possibility. 

I called AT&T, asked them where I could ship my equipment because we weren't taking the service, and we were done with them...or so we thought.  We confirmed cancellation and returned the modem.  But, they kept billing us for the service.  This went on for nearly 6 months where we'd get a bill, and they were continuing to tack the internet service fees on.  They had the audacity to start sending us late notices because we refused to pay that portion of the bill.  Every time we'd talk to someone at AT&T, they'd be polite and tell us it was handled, and then the next bill would come, and it wasn't.  We finally got in touch with a supervisor who seemed to have at least some authority to make the necessary changes.  She did her part and they stopped adding to our bill, but AT&T didn't remove the erroneous charges.  It just sat there on our bill every month.  Again, we called and demanded it be removed.  Finally a clerk told us that unless we could prove that we didn't use the service, we were on the hook for the amount specified (which was now hovering around $300!).

When we spoke to her supervisor, we were told that we would have to contest the billing in writing.  Not email writing mind you, but an actual letter that had to be sent to some special dispensation department in Atlanta.  This is a technology company, mind you.  We couldn't email or fax a letter requesting a review.  We had to send it via USPS.  It took another 3 months before they finally completed the audit and confirmed that we hadn't used the service beyond the point where the tech came to the house.  At that point, they finally removed the amount from our billing. 

We still have our mobile service through AT&T, and DTV is still bundled in that deal, although there really isn't any real deal to be had.  I pay a premium for the faster internet through Comcast because I've got 5 computers, 6 tablets, and 4 smartphones to deal with.  I monitor the speed constantly to make sure I'm getting something at least somewhat respectable for the premium price, and if it seems to be dragging, I get them on the phone.  Their service is why we left Comcast originally, and it still drives me nuts when I'm talking to Bill Bob in Bangladesh.  I rarely get a resolution that way, and request escalation to US support when that becomes apparent.  The US support folks are far more effective, so I don't waste a lot of time dealing with the offshore folks.  If they can't figure it out in 5 minutes we move on. 

Quote:I would rather things be hard wired for most of my computer work.  For one it's faster than Wifi, and two, it's just a little bit more secure.  Out in public, the only time I turn Wifi on is if I'm doing some kind of analysis.  In my opinion, if someone accesses their personal information (ie. bank accounts or otherwise) over a "public hot spot" they are opening themselves up to a huge risk.  I would also wager that most people that use "wireless" in their homes don't have things secured.

Call me paranoid or whatever, but broadcasting info out into the air is the easiest way to have that info compromised.

It's not paranoid, but there are precautions that can be taken to assure that you're secure.  Since I work in the cloud computing environment, and data security is a major concern, I'm equally paranoid, but not afraid to use the equipment.  I just know that you have to be very aware of security on your networks whether at home or at hotspots. 
Quote:Also ATT is probably the worst company I've ever dealt with personally, run away, you won't be sorry. 

Quote:In my experience, ATT (warts and all) is much better quality service all around than Komcast.  Reliability of their lines and equipment are higher, and customer service better as well.

Quote:I would say exactly the opposite. In my experience AT&T flat-out sucked, forcing me to go back to Satan (Comcast).

I moved to 100% mobile data and dropped cable tv because of AT&T.  I remember when I had Comcast their worst was I had to reboot the modem all the time.  Uverse was flat out breaking every week.   And when Uverse breaks, nothing works.  TV + internet is down all at once.  You can't even watch stuff STORED ON YOUR DVR.  And every time it broke, they did nothing to fix it. On the phone, they insist on going through a endless procedure which amounts to nothing more than rebooting your router and it always ends in sending out a tech after wasting an hour of your time.  Even when the techs came, they don't really have the capability to actually fix anything.  They never actually diagnosed and fixed any problem, it just worked again without them understanding why.  Another stupid thing is Uverse doesn't even have a physical location.   Their techs may as well be delivery guys.  AT&T is pretty garbage all around in my experience.  Go to any starbucks.  Their wifi used to be slow and now it's super fast.  Why?  Because they dropped AT&T and went with google.  Then go to Barns & Noble.  Wifi is super slow.  Guess who supplies it.

Quote:Many of my friends who have Comcast complain about outages and not receiving the speed promised.  None of which I've experienced with Uverse.  Our church stream and guest wifi struggles with Comcast.  Comcast completely crashed downtown during the Rockville weekend.  The nearest available server was all the way out in MacClenny, making service awful at best that Saturday.

Consider yourself lucky.  Just hope the service doesn't go out, because they can't fix it.  I had only 1 outage for the first year, and after that I couldn't trust Uverse for a week.  Even though comcast isn't an option for me, AT&T scared me off of all the television/cable providers.  I'm going to avoid them as long as possible and hope LTE data keeps getting cheaper.
Quote:...

It's not paranoid, but there are precautions that can be taken to assure that you're secure.  Since I work in the cloud computing environment, and data security is a major concern, I'm equally paranoid, but not afraid to use the equipment.  I just know that you have to be very aware of security on your networks whether at home or at hotspots. 

A "side" portion of my job involves evaluating threats and looking over security procedures.   When I do my research into how companies get compromised, it amazes me how easy it is.  Without disclosing too much information, I can say that the biggest breach of security is because of "people" rather than "equipment".
It's fast, but customer service can be terrible. But it's one of those.....you just accept it and try to have a few drinks before you call customer service. Again. and again. and again. and again. and again. 

Quote:...

Go to any starbucks.  Their wifi used to be slow and now it's super fast.  Why?  Because they dropped AT&T and went with google.  Then go to Barns & Noble.  Wifi is super slow.  Guess who supplies it.

This is an example of ignorance and why people get "hacked".  I would NEVER advise anyone to go to a Starbucks, Barnes & Nobel, etc. to use their Wifi.  It doesn't matter if it's a laptop computer or a cell phone.  It's not a matter of IF someone intercepts your activity, it's just a matter of WHEN.

Most people that use these kinds of "hot spots" have been breached, but they don't have anything "interesting" for a hacker.  The "small time script kiddie" might steal your data if you're stupid enough to access your bank accounts.  Most of the time they just want the machine, and they will get it.

Later, if your machine is on the internet, they have more control than most people think.
Quote:I did try Uverse a while back because AT&T told us that they could get us speeds close to what we were seeing at the time with cable.  I agreed to give them a run, and the promised speed vs. what I was actually seeing with the speed tests were off by about 80%.  When I called AT&T, they said it must be an external wiring issue, so they sent a tech out.  Prior to his arrival, AT&T confirmed that all of the necessary hardware to support the higher speeds had been installed and that it was available in our area.  The tech checked the lines at the house (fine), and at the box (fine).  He told me he was going to check the main box for the entire area and that he'd be gone about 20 minutes.  He came back after checking it and said that while the hardware had indeed been installed, it had not yet been configured.  There wasn't even a work order to do so, so it was going to be several months before anything close to what we'd been promised was going to be a possibility. 

I called AT&T, asked them where I could ship my equipment because we weren't taking the service, and we were done with them...or so we thought.  We confirmed cancellation and returned the modem.  But, they kept billing us for the service.  This went on for nearly 6 months where we'd get a bill, and they were continuing to tack the internet service fees on.  They had the audacity to start sending us late notices because we refused to pay that portion of the bill.  Every time we'd talk to someone at AT&T, they'd be polite and tell us it was handled, and then the next bill would come, and it wasn't.  We finally got in touch with a supervisor who seemed to have at least some authority to make the necessary changes.  She did her part and they stopped adding to our bill, but AT&T didn't remove the erroneous charges.  It just sat there on our bill every month.  Again, we called and demanded it be removed.  Finally a clerk told us that unless we could prove that we didn't use the service, we were on the hook for the amount specified (which was now hovering around $300!).

This almost mirrors my experience.  The internet would constantly shut off until I call sit on the line and threaten to cancel.  Twice in non concurrent months I've gotten modem rental fees though I never rented anything from them, "we're sorry, we will credit it to your next bill." They claimed to have sent somebody over to my house, charged me $50, even though I said no when they asked if I would like someone to come over, I didn't get it credited back to me until two months later.  

Their customer service amounts to waiting 30 minutes for someone to suggest you unplug the modem and plug it back up. Though of course asking for the cancellation department, not once, not twice, but five times got the internet working within a couple minutes, even when in some instances it was off for over a day. 
Pages: 1 2