Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Aurora Theater Shooter Guilty of 1st Degree Murder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/mov...ty-defense

All I can say is good, and I hope he spends the rest of his life rotting in a hole and occasionally being passed around like a village bicycle.

I don't know anyone who died that night, but an acquaintance of mine was in the theater. He's traumatized for life. Smoke terrorizes him, any sort of bang or pop about sends him out of his skin, and he becomes visually uncomfortable at the mention of Batman. I can only imagine what the families of the deceased must go through, and may James Holmes rot in Hell for what he's done.

Would there be any other verdict?  I don't know if the State of Colorado has the death penalty, but if it does, this is a case for it.

Colorado technically has capital punishment on the books, but only one prisoner has been executed since the moratorium in the '70s. There's some thinking that Holmes will be the second.

Fry'em

Quote:Colorado technically has capital punishment on the books, but only one prisoner has been executed since the moratorium in the '70s. There's some thinking that Holmes will be the second.
I think he would be a great candidate.
Whatever punishment he receives it is not enough.

Same with the church shooter a few weeks ago.

hellhazaspeshialplacefordeezdudes

Quote:http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/mov...ty-defense

All I can say is good, and I hope he spends the rest of his life rotting in a hole and occasionally being passed around like a village bicycle.

I don't know anyone who died that night, but an acquaintance of mine was in the theater. He's traumatized for life. Smoke terrorizes him, any sort of bang or pop about sends him out of his skin, and he becomes visually uncomfortable at the mention of Batman. I can only imagine what the families of the deceased must go through, and may James Holmes rot in Hell for what he's done.

Wow - I think your first sentence says more about you than it does about Holmes.

I know I'll catch heck from the tough guys on a message board - but how is this not the action of an insane person? And does anyone think the execution of Holmes (in ten or fifteen years) will stop the next insane person from doing something similar?

But, as long as you feel better ... that's what it's all about. 
Quote:Wow - I think your first sentence says more about you than it does about Holmes.

I know I'll catch heck from the tough guys on a message board - but how is this not the action of an insane person? And does anyone think the execution of Holmes (in ten or fifteen years) will stop the next insane person from doing something similar?

The legal definition of insanity is the inability to tell right from wrong. During his incarceration, Holmes all but told a psychiatrist that he knew that his actions were wrong. Case closed.

I'm against the death penalty as well, but if he gets it, I won't cry too much.
Holmes was sane, but mentally ill.  

I think punishment should be left up to the families.  Only they know if they think justice is better served by execution or by life imprisonment.  Just my two cents.

Quote:Holmes was sane, but mentally ill.  

I think punishment should be left up to the families.  Only they know if they think justice is better served by execution or by life imprisonment.  Just my two cents.

Well, the justice system agrees with you. Victims' and family members of victims' testimony during the sentencing phase of the trial will be heavily considered, I'm sure.
Quote:Wow - I think your first sentence says more about you than it does about Holmes.

So, you're basing his sanity solely on his actions? Sorry, but plenty of sane people have committed vile and atrocious acts such as this.
Quote:http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/mov...ty-defense

I think a lot of people forget about the secondary victims in situations like this.

The ones who aren't injured but become traumatized by what happened because they were right there and saw/felt everything close up while it was happening.

I'm sure there is counseling to help them get back to as close to normal as is possible for them. They will probably never really get over it for the rest of their lives. Sad, just sad.
Quote:So, you're basing his sanity solely on his actions? Sorry, but plenty of sane people have committed vile and atrocious acts such as this.

Case closed? Thank you, Perry Mason (TJBender)

Sane, but mentally ill. Think about that for a second. That says just about all you need to know about our legal system. (Eleventh Doctor)

Jagsfan - no, I'm not basing his sanity solely on his actions. I'm basing his sanity on his motives. How was Holmes going to benefit from his actions? Did he act based on revenge? Greed? Jealousy? It doesn't appears so. Perhaps he did it because he was insane.

Or do you have a greater insight?
Quote:Case closed? Thank you, Perry Mason (TJBender)

Sane, but mentally ill. Think about that for a second. That says just about all you need to know about our legal system. (Eleventh Doctor)

Jagsfan - no, I'm not basing his sanity solely on his actions. I'm basing his sanity on his motives. How was Holmes going to benefit from his actions? Did he act based on revenge? Greed? Jealousy? It doesn't appears so. Perhaps he did it because he was insane.

The problem with your theorizing, is that the court system ruled him competent. So if he killed all those people, wounded how many others, AND was ruled legally competent then that's all that matters. They said that it was a meticulous, well thought out, plan.

He deserves the death penalty no matter how you want to twist it.
Quote:Case closed? Thank you, Perry Mason (TJBender)

Perhaps he did it because he was insane.

First off, thank you. I pride myself on my investigative abilities, and my history of cracking every case I've ever been placed on, even when others had failed.

Second, having a mental illness does not make you insane. There are millions of Americans out there fighting depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and other diseases who live a perfectly normal, healthy life. As far as the criminal justice system is involved, you are insane when you don't understand the difference between right and wrong. I think that's fair, otherwise we'd be letting murderers off the hook left and right just because they have a history of mental illness. What were Holmes' motives? Who cares. He was in control of his own actions, he knew what he was doing and he knew that it was wrong. Legally speaking, he is guilty of mass murder, and deserves whatever sentence he gets. He will be treated for whatever mental illnesses he may have while in prison, and that's all that a verdict of guilty but mentally ill (he didn't even get the "but mentally ill" part) calls for.

Would you justify the actions of the Charleston shooter, the Sandy Hook shooter or the 9/11 hijackers the same way? I mean, clearly no one sane would crash a 767 into a building, right?

Unfortunately, society as a whole has not yet realized the fact that anger and revenge isn't going to make you feel better; likewise, the execution of Holmes won't bring back the 12 people that he killed and remove the psychological scars of the survivors. At the end of the day, people who are calling for his execution are really no better than Holmes himself.

Moral relativism is the cancer of mankind.

Quote:At the end of the day, people who are calling for his execution are really no better than Holmes himself.
So the victims' families that are hoping for the death penalty are no better than the man who killed their husband/wife/daughter/son in cold blood along with 11 other people?
My feeling is he deserves and should get the death penalty.  What frustrates me is the length of time, not only for this particular trial, but the wait for the sentencing, then the wait for appeals, then...  In reality, he wont be put to death (if that's what he is sentenced to) for another 10 years, maybe longer.  In the meantime the families of his victims pay through their tax dollars for him to have room&board, 3 meals a day, medical treatment, etc.  It's already been three years since this happened.  Justice should have already been served.

Jeez what has it been, like 4 years? What takes these trials so long?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5