Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Murder rates drop as concealed carry permits soar: report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Murder rates drop as concealed carry permits soar: report

The number of concealed carry handgun permits has skyrocketed since President Obama was first elected, while murder rates have fallen, according to a new report set to be released Wednesday.

Since 2007, the number of concealed handgun permits has soared from 4.6 million to over 12.8 million, according to the report from the Crime Prevention Research Center.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015...z3fuZjbROd

Proves nothing. No, seriously, it proves nothing. That's taking one factor, among hundreds, that affect the murder rate and glorifying it. It's possibly a contributing factor, but isn't it just as likely that more murders are carried out through use of a concealed weapon now that more people are legally carrying them?

Surely it was the Lightbringer and not anything as silly as armed self-defense.

Thanks, Obama?

On an unrelated note, is there a browser setting that can make web pages like the one linked any easier to read? I could barely scroll through it while images and video kept loading.

Quote:Thanks, Obama?

LOL...perfect.
Quote:Thanks, Obama?

On an unrelated note, is there a browser setting that can make web pages like the one linked any easier to read? I could barely scroll through it while images and video kept loading.

Here you go RJ, it's the "Print" Page for your computer

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015...ar-/print/
I don't think they took the westside into account..
Quote:Here you go RJ, it's the "Print" Page for your computer

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015...ar-/print/

Thanks.
Quote:Proves nothing. No, seriously, it proves nothing. That's taking one factor, among hundreds, that affect the murder rate and glorifying it. It's possibly a contributing factor, but isn't it just as likely that more murders are carried out through use of a concealed weapon now that more people are legally carrying them?

Correlation does not imply causation.

Murder (and other violent crimes) rates have been falling for years completely independent of concealed carry permits.
Quote:Correlation does not imply causation.

Murder (and other violent crimes) rates have been falling for years completely independent of concealed carry permits.

Citation? Because John Lott has about 1,200 pages of data that says otherwise.
I thought everything was worse under Obama.  

Quote:I thought everything was worse under Obama.

Obama has been very good for the gun market.
Quote:Citation? Because John Lott has about 1,200 pages of data that says otherwise.

Murders, rapes, assaults, robberies. All violent crimes have been dropping consistently in this country for the last 25 years.
Quote:Obama has been very good for the gun market.
Lol, this is very true. But what does it say about the market and the consumers?

One might hypothesize that the gun makers fear mongered to a lot of paranoid dupes...

Levitt and Dubner, in their best-seller "Freakonomics" cited legalized abortion as the reason for the steadily declining violent crime rates in the US since the 70s.

The Roe v. Wade effect.
Quote:Lol, this is very true. But what does it say about the market and the consumers?

One might hypothesize that the gun makers fear mongered to a lot of paranoid dupes...

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

I agree, correlation does not imply causation. But these numbers certainly refute the left's claim that more concealed carry will lead to more murders.

Quote:I agree, correlation does not imply causation. But these numbers certainly refute the left's claim that more concealed carry will lead to more murders.
You also have to agree it has nothing to do with a drop in murder rates.
Quote:You also have to agree it has nothing to do with a drop in murder rates.

I don't have to agree to that. Correlation is not causation, but it might have something to do with the continued drop in murder rates. All we know for sure is that it didn't cause murder rates to increase.

Compare this with the increase in CO2 causing global warming. Correlation is not causation, but it might have something to do with the increase in global temperatures since 1979. But all we know for sure is that the increase in CO2 didn't cause the temperature to drop.

Quote:I don't have to agree to that. Correlation is not causation, but it might have something to do with the continued drop in murder rates. All we know for sure is that it didn't cause murder rates to increase.

Compare this with the increase in CO2 causing global warming. Correlation is not causation, but it might have something to do with the increase in global temperatures since 1979. But all we know for sure is that the increase in CO2 didn't cause the temperature to drop.

I just caught a big giant red herring
Pages: 1 2