Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles' mechanics

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400...d-wobblers

This article has some good Bortles quotes that I haven't seen posted elsewhere.  Specifically discusses what he worked on at the House academy with regards to mechanics.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Any help he can get is good help!  I think BB has a bright future as the leader of this offense and am praying for a far better showing this year (from the entire roster)!

I really like the fact that the kid is pretty up front about the areas where he needs to improve, and he's taking every measure to make sure he succeeds.  Everyone seems to be on the same page, and he's taking a really good approach and tapping into one of the best resources in the business to deal with his mechanics.  It's funny hearing him talk about cutting across the ball like he's throwing a baseball.  That's something baseball players are taught to do, and it's a tough habit to break.  Having a coach who specializes in working with pitchers and the mechanics involved there, it probably was something he caught during their sessions, and possibly not something that would have been recognized by someone who doesn't have that baseball background.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

This from the TU...Blake going back to House's academy.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Bortles said the process has been difficult, but he's working now to develop the muscle memory by the time the season kicks off.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">"It's hard when you try to change stuff like that," Bortles said. "It's something I've been doing since I was 12 years old. I've been developing bad habits and it's something you have to think about. I'm at the stage of doing as much as possible so I don't have to think about it anymore."

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Bortles said he will go back to work at House's academy for a week in the break between next week's mandatory mini-camp and the opening of training camp.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">I'm thrilled with his determination

Always good to hear he is trying to become better.

I agree that I'm thrilled with his determination as well. I hope he doesn't go too ham and saves some juice for this very long season, as most seasons are. The biggest/best experience he can get is on the field. He needs to make it through 16 games, or more.

I love how the baseball coach in House is improving his mechanics. It's hard to hear the advice or correction from a football player since bortles has played the game for so long in his life. That outside perspective helps drill down and override the muscle memory.

Quote:I really like the fact that the kid is pretty up front about the areas where he needs to improve, and he's taking every measure to make sure he succeeds.  Everyone seems to be on the same page, and he's taking a really good approach and tapping into one of the best resources in the business to deal with his mechanics.  It's funny hearing him talk about cutting across the ball like he's throwing a baseball.  That's something baseball players are taught to do, and it's a tough habit to break.  Having a coach who specializes in working with pitchers and the mechanics involved there, it probably was something he caught during their sessions, and possibly not something that would have been recognized by someone who doesn't have that baseball background.
Bortles is so refreshingly honest! Most QB's have so much pride that not only would they not talk about any short-comings, but most don't even believe there's a problem! Leftwich suffered from this.

Quote:Bortles is so refreshingly honest! Most QB's have so much pride that not only would they not talk about any short-comings, but most don't even believe there's a problem! Leftwich suffered from this.

Agreed with that. Not to bring up old, dead horses but I remember Vic stating that Leftwich "had a high view of himself". That just might have been the understatement of the century. You want players, and especially QBs, to have confidence but also the humility to be able to accept the flaws in their game in order to correct them.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Agreed with that. Not to bring up old, dead horses but I remember Vic stating that Leftwich "had a high view of himself". That just might have been the understatement of the century. You want players, and especially QBs, to have confidence but also the humility to be able to accept the flaws in their game in order to correct them.

To your point, Tom Freakin' Brady recently attended House's academy. The best are never satisfied.

One just hopes Bortles doesn't go overboard in his quest for perfection, like Tiger Woods, for example.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Agreed with that. Not to bring up old, dead horses but I remember Vic stating that Leftwich "had a high view of himself". That just might have been the understatement of the century. You want players, and especially QBs, to have confidence but also the humility to be able to accept the flaws in their game in order to correct them.

Yup.  And the one that came after him was called out by the owner for not working on his craft in the offseason.  The one after that could only be found fishing in the offseason.

Good to see this one is doing all those things on his own.  Taking ownership, taking a leadership position.

It's refreshing to have that in our QB after all this time.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Yup.  And the one that came after him was called out by the owner for not working on his craft in the offseason.  The one after that could only be found fishing in the offseason.

Good to see this one is doing all those things on his own.  Taking ownership, taking a leadership position.

It's refreshing to have that in our QB after all this time.

I think I was "all in" on Bortles when Fisch described him as "a football player who just happens to play Quarterback." That's the kind of player you need at that position, at least in my opinion it is.

When I think about those Quarterbacks, I inevitably think about the people that drafted them. Leftwich was selected by Harris, who came up through football in a time when he, as an African American man, was used to not even being allowed to speak to a white man. I read an article where the first time he met his first NFL coach, he was surprised that the guy wanted him to speak! So it seems to fit that Harris felt like a QB is going to have to be overconfident and even cocky in order to deal with the QB position.

Gabbert was selected by Smith who, if I'm remembering it right, had a Midwest upbringing. Mom, the flag, and apple pie and all of that. So it seems a fit that he would want a guy with a great heart and just all of the intangibles that you could ask for but just assume that the work ethic would be there.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Bortles story plays out and whether or not it will give us insight into Dave Caldwell.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Oh...I thought when I came in this thread I could go get my car fixed.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]