Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
16 years today...the tragedy at Columbine

http://www.inquisitr.com/2027817/columbi...niversary/

R.I.P. May all of the kids who died, (as well as this incident in general) never be forgotten.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Wasn't 420 also the anniversary of Waco?

4/19 was the date for Waco.

In addition to those two, Also around the same date were Oklahoma City and the BP Oil Spill.

Quote:4/19 was the date for Waco.

In addition to those two, Also around the same date were Oklahoma City and the BP Oil Spill.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize BP was around this time.

Oh and the Boston bombing anniversary is around this date...

Quote:Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize BP was around this time.

Oh and the Boston bombing anniversary is around this date...

April's a bad month damn.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

and Hitlers Bday

Quote:Wasn't 420 also the anniversary of Waco?

Quote:and Hitlers Bday
It has been theorized that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were partly inspired by the incidents at Waco and Oklahoma to carry out the school shooting. Eric Harris was also rumored to have held fascist/neo-nazi political views and wanted to carry out the attack on Adolf Hitler's birthday.

Happy April everyone...

A month that starts with April Fools Day is just not a good month IMHO.

The Virginia Tech massacre was also in April.  

After Columbine I think things changed.  And I think they changed more after Sandy Hook.  I know at the high school around here the local Sheriffs department went over response situations.  Hopefully we'll continue working on ways to help prevent tragedies from these like occurring.  I wonder how many have been averted since that nobody really knows about.  I know my freshman year (which is the same year Columbine happened) a boy at our school was suspended for having a hit list.  I can't remember if it was before or after Columbine.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:The Virginia Tech massacre was also in April.

After Columbine I think things changed. And I think they changed more after Sandy Hook. I know at the high school around here the local Sheriffs department went over response situations. Hopefully we'll continue working on ways to help prevent tragedies from these like occurring. I wonder how many have been averted since that nobody really knows about. I know my freshman year (which is the same year Columbine happened) a boy at our school was suspended for having a hit list. I can't remember if it was before or after Columbine.

A well regulated malitia..

Quote:A well regulated malitia..

But its so hard to regulate acts of malice...

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:A well regulated malitia..

Quote:But its so hard to regulate acts of malice...

I see what you did there.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

At the risk of opening a can of worms what has changed in our culture to make these tragedies possible?  I graduated HS in 1981 in a rural community. We wore knives on our belts all day long in school.  We had gun racks in our pick-ups with loaded guns hanging in them and they were in the parking lot all day long. We picked on each other, we cajoled each other, we were insensitive and at times down right cruel to each other.  In all that time the thought of going to the truck and pulling out the shotgun or whipping out the knife on your belt never occurred to us.  Sure we would throw a punch or two but when the fight was over it was over for the most part.  There was always a line you did not cross.  What happened to the lines?  What happened to make our egos so fragile that an insult turned into gun play?  

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:At the risk of opening a can of worms what has changed in our culture to make these tragedies possible?  I graduated HS in 1981 in a rural community. We wore knives on our belts all day long in school.  We had gun racks in our pick-ups with loaded guns hanging in them and they were in the parking lot all day long. We picked on each other, we cajoled each other, we were insensitive and at times down right cruel to each other.  In all that time the thought of going to the truck and pulling out the shotgun or whipping out the knife on your belt never occurred to us.  Sure we would throw a punch or two but when the fight was over it was over for the most part.  There was always a line you did not cross.  What happened to the lines?  What happened to make our egos so fragile that an insult turned into gun play?  

The bullying at Columbine went far beyond insults.  

I'd say that the bullying just got worse because everyone said "Oh it's just kids being kids".  They dismissed it as kids needing to 'toughen up' or kids just having 'fragile egos' as you say.  Compound the bullying with mental issues (which the shooters at Columbine had), and you get an unspeakable tragedy.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:April's a bad month damn.

And don't forget about what April 15th means to all of us hard-working people.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

I can't give much insight to how things were then, I didn't live in Colorado at that time, but I can tell you everyone that has the 'Respect Life' license plate do everything they can to endanger my life while driving.