Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Study finds illegal immigrants pay $11.8B in taxes

So the question remains. How do they pay these supposed taxes? Or is it a rhetorical question?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:So the question remains. How do they pay these supposed taxes? Or is it a rhetorical question?

They are here illegally, but they still have to pay the taxes on things they buy, just like that rest of us do.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:"State and local taxes"...means they are adding up how much they pay in sales tax.

So, if the study says that they pay 11.5 billion in sales taxes, then if we assume hypothetically that the average sales tax rate is 7%, then they are spending somewhere around 164 billion dollars in taxable transactions.  

I'm not making any pro or anti illegal immigrant point, but, if it is true, then that is a pretty substantial contribution to the economy.  

Quote:So, if the study says that they pay 11.5 billion in sales taxes, then if we assume hypothetically that the average sales tax rate is 7%, then they are spending somewhere around 164 billion dollars in taxable transactions.  

I'm not making any pro or anti illegal immigrant point, but, if it is true, then that is a pretty substantial contribution to the economy.

The same contribution they would make if they came here legally...probably even more if they were because they'd be making more money and not get taken advantage of because of their immigration status.

Quote:The same contribution they would make if they came here legally...probably even more if they were because they'd be making more money and not get taken advantage of because of their immigration status.

Probably correct. But that ship has sailed. One thing to remember, this issue isn't new. Particularly on our southern border, workers have been migrating to the US for decades, probably 100 years if not more. Why we are freaking out about it now is a beyond me.

Quote:They are here illegally, but they still have to pay the taxes on things they buy, just like that rest of us do.

Okay, thanks. But they're not contributing to the state (if it applies) and federal tax system which is jacked.

Quote:So, if the study says that they pay 11.5 billion in sales taxes, then if we assume hypothetically that the average sales tax rate is 7%, then they are spending somewhere around 164 billion dollars in taxable transactions.  

Now wait a minute, I'm no mathematician but isn't the number we always hear somewhere around 11 million illegals? Let's bump it up to 20 million just to be conservative. That means 20 million people spending 164 billion each of them is spending $8.1 Million? What am I missing?

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Now wait a minute, I'm no mathematician but isn't the number we always hear somewhere around 11 million illegals? Let's bump it up to 20 million just to be conservative. That means 20 million people spending 164 billion each of them is spending $8.1 Million? What am I missing?

164 billion divided by 20 million = 8,200.  

Quote:164 billion divided by 20 million = 8,200.  

ok that makes way more sense

Quote:ok that makes way more sense

I liked the part where you said "I'm no mathematician" and then you said 164 billion divided by 20 million equals 8.1 million.  

Quote:Okay, thanks. But they're not contributing to the state (if it applies) and federal tax system which is jacked.

Yes, very few contribute to the taxes on a federal level because of not having a SS# or any type of work visa.

Quote:I liked the part where you said "I'm no mathematician" and then you said 164 billion divided by 20 million equals 8.1 million.

He wasn't lying, was he? Lol

Quote:I liked the part where you said "I'm no mathematician" and then you said 164 billion divided by 20 million equals 8.1 million.  

Laughing I was thinking maybe my math was off, but once we get past five "0" my numbers get scrambled.

Y'all just made my morning! :-)