Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Muslim Students Rush Stage, Force Cancellation of University’s ‘American Sniper’ Showing

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2015, 07:06 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Nugent was relevant how many decades ago?  The Dixie Chicks were at the top of their game when they made their opinions known.  Nugent got publicity at a point when some folks probably thought he was dead.  His career surely was. 

True, but look how quickly he was embraced by many conservative politicians once his political views were made known. Nobody has accused Tea Partiers of being on the cutting edge.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Without knowing many of the details of this story I feel compelled to make the following statement:

If these protesters are American citizens then they should have been cited and removed.  If they resisted, then arrested.  With that said, if these protesters are in this country on student visas then deportation should be on the table and a valid option.  If you are here on a student visa then you are a guest here and do not have the same rights as a citizen. In addition, as a guest of any country, if you cannot respect the customs, the culture and the laws then you have worn out your welcome and your host has every right to ask you to leave.  After all, you would not tolerate such disrespect in your home so why is it permissible in your country?

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2015, 11:32 PM by boudreaumw.)

Quote:You really need to work on your rhetoric. Disagreeing with someone does NOT mean you hate them. Often your disagreement is for their improvement, not their repression. And furthermore, not all hate is bad, it's a value judgement open to subjectivity. I don't hate Muslims, but I hate the activities many of them are engaged in to opress their neighbors and I want them to stop, as in this particular case where their protests trounced the rights of the other movie-goers. I don't hate the highway protesters, but I hate their actions that tie up traffic for their neighbors and I want them to stop. I don't hate the Police, but I hate their actions that step on the rights of the citizenry and I want it to stop.

You are very right. I think you know the group I am referring to is very real though. Its not rhetoric to make a true statents. I even qualified it to apply to the fringe group.

Quote:Without knowing many of the details of this story I feel compelled to make the following statement:

If these protesters are American citizens then they should have been cited and removed.  If they resisted, then arrested.  With that said, if these protesters are in this country on student visas then deportation should be on the table and a valid option.  If you are here on a student visa then you are a guest here and do not have the same rights as a citizen. In addition, as a guest of any country, if you cannot respect the customs, the culture and the laws then you have worn out your welcome and your host has every right to ask you to leave.  After all, you would not tolerate such disrespect in your home so why is it permissible in your country?

It's a [BAD WORD REMOVED] thing to do but is it really deportation worthy? 

Quote:It's a [BAD WORD REMOVED] thing to do but is it really deportation worthy? 
lol no

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2015, 07:38 AM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:Without knowing many of the details of this story I feel compelled to make the following statement:

From "Are Foreign Nationals Entitled to the Same

Constitutional Rights As Citizens?"

David Cole

Georgetown University Law Center, [email protected]

"The Constitution does distinguish in some respects between

the rights of citizens and noncitizens: the right not to be discriminatorily

denied the vote and the right to run for federal elective

office are expressly restricted to citizens.12 All other rights, however,

are written without such a limitation. The Fifth and Fourteenth

Amendment due process and equal protection guarantees

extend to all "persons." The rights attaching to criminal trials,

including the right to a public trial, a trial by jury, the assistance

of a lawyer, and the right to confront adverse witnesses, all apply

to "the accused." And both the First Amendment's protections

of political and religious freedoms and the Fourth Amendment's

protection of privacy and liberty apply to "the people."

"The fact that the Framers chose to limit to citizens only the

rights to vote and to run for federal office is one indication that

they did not intend other constitutional rights to be so limited.

Accordingly, the Supreme Court has squarely stated that neither

the First Amendment nor the Fifth Amendment "acknowledges

any distinction between citizens and resident aliens." For more

than a century, the Court has recognized that the Equal Protection

Clause is "universal in [its] application, to all persons within

the territorial jurisdiction, without regard to differences of ...

nationality."

Quote:From "Are Foreign Nationals Entitled to the Same

Constitutional Rights As Citizens?"

David Cole

Georgetown University Law Center, [email protected]

"The Constitution does distinguish in some respects between

the rights of citizens and noncitizens: the right not to be discriminatorily

denied the vote and the right to run for federal elective

office are expressly restricted to citizens.12 All other rights, however,

are written without such a limitation. The Fifth and Fourteenth

Amendment due process and equal protection guarantees

extend to all "persons." The rights attaching to criminal trials,

including the right to a public trial, a trial by jury, the assistance

of a lawyer, and the right to confront adverse witnesses, all apply

to "the accused." And both the First Amendment's protections

of political and religious freedoms and the Fourth Amendment's

protection of privacy and liberty apply to "the people."

"The fact that the Framers chose to limit to citizens only the

rights to vote and to run for federal office is one indication that

they did not intend other constitutional rights to be so limited.

Accordingly, the Supreme Court has squarely stated that neither

the First Amendment nor the Fifth Amendment "acknowledges

any distinction between citizens and resident aliens." For more

than a century, the Court has recognized that the Equal Protection

Clause is "universal in [its] application, to all persons within

the territorial jurisdiction, without regard to differences of ...

nationality."
Well apparently you do legally have the same rights.  Duly noted.  I stand by the premise that if you are a guest here then you should respect our customs, culture and laws and if you can't then you need to go home.

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.