Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marks Comments

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2015, 10:41 AM by UConnUCFjags.)

Quote:Female ref absolutely was and is a PR stunt to make it seem like they are equal to everybody.
Are they not?

Edit: nevermind, misunderstood your post

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I applaud him for speaking his mind and opinion and i happen to agree with it.

Of course you agree with it. Otherwise you wouldn't applaud him.

Quote:He's probably right about the NFL seeing this as a PR opportunity, but people will read his comments and think he is against the idea of openly gay players and female officials. And I don't think that's what he meant to say.

This  ^ 

His comment is spot on, in my opinion. The NFL does everything it can to increase market share. The one thing I found most annoying this past season, and I'll probably be flamed for saying this, was the "no more" ad campaign after the Ray Rice fiasco.

I saw that as a PR ploy to try and save face. The NFL has ignored domestic violence issues for years... But once it got pub, hey let's get a bunch of celebs to feign righteousness... I found that whole thing nauseating...

Flame away, but I'm on SM's side on this. It's clear to me that he's got some gray matter there between his ears.

Makes me even more a fan of his, to be honest

With 8.5 sacks as a DT you can say what you want!

This is a touchy subject, but one that I believe needs to be discussed openly.

Regarding Michael Sam, he wasn't/isn't really NFL caliber period.  The only reason why he is "a story" is because he came out of the closet in a public way.  I don't know why he did such a thing, but in my mind it probably hindered his chances of getting a real look by teams rather than helped it.  Him being public regarding his personal life pretty much advertised to teams that "he has some baggage".  Heck, there was a "media watch" in place during the draft not because of his skill, but just due to the fact of his personal life.

Now would he have been drafted had he not disclosed personal details regarding himself?  My guess is probably not, or he would have gone in late rounds (like he did).  Yes he was a great college level player, but that doesn't necessarily translate to the NFL level (Derrick Harvey anyone)?

As far as the female ref is concerned, it's only "news" so that the NFL can be perceived as being "gender neutral" when it comes to hiring people.  It's all about PR.  Personally, I don't really care about the gender of an official, I just want to know that said official is up to the task of being on the field with professional players and being able to call games proficiently.  Again, this is probably some "baggage" for the NFL because rest assured, her gender is going to be pointed out every game that she officiates.  I kind of feel bad for her because if/when she makes a bad call, it's going to be amplified in the media.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2015, 03:15 PM by badger.)

Oh no, somebody said something people don't like and we all need to overreact.

Quote:Of course you agree with it. Otherwise you wouldn't applaud him.
so you disagree then (;

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2015, 04:25 PM by JagsFan1.)

Quote:His comment is spot on, in my opinion. The NFL does everything it can to increase market share. The one thing I found most annoying this past season, and I'll probably be flamed for saying this, was the "no more" ad campaign after the Ray Rice fiasco.

I saw that as a PR ploy to try and save face. The NFL has ignored domestic violence issues for years... But once it got pub, hey let's get a bunch of celebs to feign righteousness... I found that whole thing nauseating...

Flame away, but I'm on SM's side on this. It's clear to me that he's got some gray matter there between his ears.

No flame from me I agree. They seemed fake and forced to me. Now you don't even see the the ads on NFLN, ESPN etc...

Quote:His comment is spot on, in my opinion. The NFL does everything it can to increase market share. The one thing I found most annoying this past season, and I'll probably be flamed for saying this, was the "no more" ad campaign after the Ray Rice fiasco.

Cris Carter crying was cringeworthy

Quote:so you disagree then (;

Not entirely. But you would have applauded him for speaking his mind if you adamantly disagreed, right?

BTW that's rhetorical. You and I both know the answer already.

How many people actually disagree with what he said?

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2015, 05:47 PM by Vicbow Rules.)

Are people really worrying if this woman has the physical ability to be a ref? 

Can she A: Run    B: Duck occasionally and C:  Make poor use of her eyesight?  If she can she sounds like most refs I see on Sundays.

It's possible that she is qualified and as a result is being used as a PR move, as opposed to being unqualified or solely used as a PR move.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:Are people really worrying if this woman has the physical ability to be a ref? 

Can she A: Run    B: Duck occasionally and C:  Make poor use of her eyesight?  If she can she sounds like most refs I see on Sundays.

It's possible that she is qualified and as a result is being used as a PR move, as opposed to being unqualified or solely used as a PR move.

A. probably, but fast enough? B. probably, but what happens when she can't and gets blasted? C. probably.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato