Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Taxes done professionally or by yourself?

In our first year out of college, my wife's employer screwed up her taxes and basically withheld no income tax for the year, so when we did our taxes, we owed the government $700. Besides telling you how hopelessly broke we were, we decided that TurboTax must have screwed something up, so we went to H&R Block, and the guy there used tax software that looked damn near identical to punch in our numbers and come up with the same result...only now we owed the government $700 and him $200.

We've used TurboTax every year since, and unless someone comes up with a very compelling reason to try one of those free services out, we'll be using TurboTax again.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Used TT for a few years until tax situation became a little more complicated with rental property depreciation and LLC partnerships. Much easier to pay accountant to do it these days.

Quote:According to the government I died 15 years ago on a Bolivian river boat.

Were they right?

Quote:You sound like Jimmy James, the man so nice they named him twice.

I even googled this and still came up with nothing.

Quote:Were they right?

Yes and no...

You can't go wrong with TT. I do mine online and am able to import some information as a time saver. Vystar used to sponsor a discount link through their website for members, but stopped doing it a few years ago.

Back in the good old days when tax returns were done on paper, a coworker of mine put a blank 1040EZ and a copy of his W-2 in an envelope and mailed it off to the IRS. 6 weeks later he got his refund check.

Ive used TaxAct but I will have to go with H&R Block this year being I worked in 2 states.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:Ive used TaxAct but I will have to go with H&R Block this year being I worked in 2 states.

I worked in 2 states and lived in a third one while working in another. Turbo Tax handled it fine
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2017, 03:04 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:Ive used TaxAct but I will have to go with H&R Block this year being I worked in 2 states.

Why does working in two states matter?

Quote:Why does working in two states matter?

Tax law varies state to state for state income taxation.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Tax law varies state to state for state income taxation.

For instance I worked in FL (no state income tax) transferred to VA (state income tax) but commute from Tennessee (no state income tax)
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I've done TT for years but that is quickly going to come to an end, probably next year or 2018.

It's getting to complicated for my country [BLEEP].

Use an accountant because he finds me more money than Turbo tax, etc. I've used him for about 12 years now and wouldn't attempt to file my own, only because I know me.

I've never used software or a service, I didn't suffer through an accounting major for nothing. I sure as hell didn't want to be an accountant, I'm determined to get something out of that grind.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I've never used software or a service, I didn't suffer through an accounting major for nothing. I sure as hell didn't want to be an accountant, I'm determined to get something out of that grind.

Slate and an Abacus for you then?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Always do your taxes in Crayon.

They won't put your 4 year old daughter in prison ... even if you already spent the 5 million dollar check, and was awarded two Cat's and a puppy dog reinbursement.

Quote:Always do your taxes in Crayon.

They won't put your 4 year old daughter in prison ... even if you already spent the 5 million dollar check, and was awarded two Cat's and a puppy dog reinbursement.
HE'S BAAAACCCCCKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:I use the Online version not the desktop.  But I pay for it.  All I'm saying is if you have the simplest tax return you can possibly have, it should take like 5 minutes.  That's the whole point of it.  Enter W2, pay, go.  They already have the rest of my info.  That's the whole reason I'm paying for it in the first place.  

I might use them again just so I can time it.

I used TurboTax again.  It took a little less than 30 minutes but I still don't like the design.  It takes way longer than it needs to, especially being that all my information was already on file, and every single bit of information other than the w2 was EXACTLY the same.  Instead of me having to click "no" to a hundred things one at a time they could streamline it a bit.  Let me review if anything has changed.  Put more stuff on a page or something.  They also tried to upsell me 4 different times (Max benefits (twice!), student load saving etc ..., mint credit score).   Obviously 30 minutes isn't horrible, and I know they have to design it for a variety of tax situations, but I'm still not all that impressed.

I'd kill for 30 minutes.

It takes me like a week.