Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Craft Beer Is Dead. Gose Killed It.

Quote:Beer is beer to me...

As long as its cold

Am I the only one who drinks beer at room temperature most of the time?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Am I the only one who drinks beer at room temperature most of the time?

Room temperature?  Probably you are although drinking good beer ice cold is a crime.  Slightly chilled is usually best depending on the style.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Depends on the kind of beer for me. Cant drink warm Bud, but I can drink a warm HighLife..

Same with soda. Can drink room temp Mt. Dew and Orange soda, but Pepsi and Coke has to be cold.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I will drink a porter at a slightly chilled temp. Not quite room temp though.

I can do Irish stouts on the warm side also.

Quote:Room temperature?  Probably you are although drinking good beer ice cold is a crime.  Slightly chilled is usually best depending on the style.

Beer is very soft and has the strongest taste at room temperature.  As an exception though, I usually try to get strong 8+abv Belgian Tripel ales as cold as humanly possible.

Quote:Depends on the kind of beer for me. Cant drink warm Bud, but I can drink a warm HighLife..

Same with soda. Can drink room temp Mt. Dew and Orange soda, but Pepsi and Coke has to be cold.

Beer certainly is different depending on the temperature.   I think I generally buy beer that would taste good at room temperature, even when I buy it cold.  You just gotta get it whatever temperature you like (or just drink it at room temperate and not go through the trouble).

Quote:I will drink a porter at a slightly chilled temp. Not quite room temp though.

I can do Irish stouts on the warm side also.

I do feel like there is a quality to cold beers.  It mutes the flavors and the alcohol taste and can make beers more refreshing. Though I don't really drink porters and stouts anymore, I  agree that those beers were best at a slightly chilled temperature like suggested.  I also think the same for IPAs, but I like those at room temperature too though.  

I typically just chill my glasses prior to pouring.

Quote:Depends on the kind of beer for me. Cant drink warm Bud, but I can drink a warm HighLife..

You still haven't explained how the supposed demise of craft beer is "for the greater good".

Quote:You still haven't explained how the supposed demise of craft beer is "for the greater good".

You not only took the bait, you swallowed the hook.. Good job..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Beer is very soft and has the strongest taste at room temperature.  As an exception though, I usually try to get strong 8+abv Belgian Tripel ales as cold as humanly possible.

It does and while it's not an exact science but most beers are generally best cool to very lightly chilled (cellar temperature) not cold.  The rule of thumb is the darker and higher ABV the beer the higher the temperature.  For example, kolsch style lagers should be served at cellar temperatures around 50 degrees where as is a heavy "old ale" should be served around 60 degrees.  If you're drinking your tripel at freezing cold temps you're probably missing out on a lot of the flavor.  This guy gets it mostly right.

http://craftbeertemple.com/videoblog/serving-beer/

The reason we are used to drinking our beer ice cold is because that's what the big breweries have told us for years. The reason, their beer is cheap and tastes better that way

interesting responses, I'll give it a shot at room temp next time. I have just preferred it cold in a chilled glass, just real refreshing and that's how I like my buzz

Quote:interesting responses, I'll give it a shot at room temp next time. I have just preferred it cold in a chilled glass, just real refreshing and that's how I like my buzz

Chilled is best but the glass should be right out of the cabinet.  Chilled does not mean cold.  Think chilled like wine.  Smile